Harry has a 14"er ;)

Harry has a 14"er ;)

Postby Mat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:09 am

Harry has a 14"er ;)

Seriously though, this is an arm the Harry has been working on for fun for the past few years. I don't think he ever wants to finish it because he is enjoying working on it so much, but with each incremental improvement it is making an impact on the sound :)

This his Harry's 14" arm with no offset angel.
Attachments
lineage.jpg
lineage.jpg (122.86 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Re: Harry has a 14"er ;)

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 am

Very interesting Mat. What is that table the arm is on. Doesn't look like an Avenger?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby vego99 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:40 pm

looks like a Rosegold Titan
Instagram @plattersofspinningplastic
MainRig: McIntosh C2300, VPI Aries 3D FE #28/30, Latino ST-120, Totem Forest, W4S DAC2, Sonos Connect, VPI 16.5
vego99

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 pm

vego99 wrote:looks like a Rosegold Titan

You are probably correct. I thought the periphery ring and weight looked really shiny. Probably rose gold plated...That would explain it.. :P
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Guss2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:24 pm

I'd say a Vanquish or Avenger in rose gold plate. Looks to be one layer of acrylic, can't be a Titan. On second thought, after looking at my Avenger I think it may be a Titan after all.
Guss2

Postby Harry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:42 pm

It was a rose gold Titan and the sound of that 14" arm with no offset angle was so smooth and tape like you can lay odds I will be making this. BTW, we can make this for all the bases that are out there it is just a matter of moving the old base to the proper location on the armboard and getting the tangent alignment correct.

This may be the big one!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Harry wrote:It was a rose gold Titan and the sound of that 14" arm with no offset angle was so smooth and tape like you can lay odds I will be making this. BTW, we can make this for all the bases that are out there it is just a matter of moving the old base to the proper location on the armboard and getting the tangent alignment correct.

This may be the big one!!

HW

Hi Harry , nice to see you lurking. It has been pretty subdued around here. So we have a FatBoy and possibly a Longboy :lol: Would it be possible to make a mount that would attach to the back left corner of an HRX for this arm? What is the construct? Effective Mass? Any unusual set up for such an arm?

I'll volunteer to help Beta test :D
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Brf » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:48 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:Would it be possible to make a mount that would attach to the back left corner of an HRX for this arm? What is the construct? Effective Mass? Any unusual set up for such an arm?

I'll volunteer to help Beta test :D

For a HRX, I would suggest making a SS pillar the same diameter as the Avenger corner tower and mount it in the same position as the current HRX tonearm risers. You can then attach the current Avenger c-clamp tonearm platform.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:10 am

If we make the Longboy (love that name) it will first be available for the Avenger (easy mount) and then it would be made to fit the HR-X/TNT chassis. It is not difficult to mount as any tangent line will work. You could mount it like an ET linear tracker, in the front right corner if you wanted to.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Gary1955 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Harry, Good to hear from you!

The 14" Longboy looks very interesting. I couldn't tell from the picture if this is a gimbal or unipivot. What sound differences/improvements do you hear versus the 12" 3D Reference?
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover, PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp.
Gary1955

Next

Return to Harry's Corner