Dual Pivot - Is the arm still considered a uni-pivot arm?

Dual Pivot - Is the arm still considered a uni-pivot arm?

Postby Johnny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 am

If one installs the dual pivot on a VPI tonearm, is the arm still considered a uni-pivot?
Johnny

Re: Dual Pivot - Is the arm still considered a uni-pivot arm

Postby Brf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am

Yes, the VPI tonearm with the dual pivot point installed is what is known as an constrained uni-pivot bearing, whereby, the free rotation around the pivot axis is now restricted (constrained) when compared to a non-constrained uni-pivot which moves freely in both the vertical and horizontal plan.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Well, I was kinda expecting a bit of a forum debate, but you certainly shut the door on that! I was not aware that they had an actual name for it. You truly are an audio encyclopaedia - thanks.
Johnny

Postby Harry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm

See, you really don't need me!! Thanks Brf, as usual you nailed it.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Johnny » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm

I knew this subject would come up again. Seems to be some confusion on Audiogon.

Anyways, the answer is posted here.
Johnny

Postby Mat » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Actually, after a discussion on a different forum thread we are in the process of re-branding it as a "Stabilizer" because to be fair that is exactly what it is. it is adding additional stability to the arm. So I guess you can say it is a unipivot with stabilization :p
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am

Mat wrote:Actually, after a discussion on a different forum thread we are in the process of re-branding it as a "Stabilizer" because to be fair that is exactly what it is. it is adding additional stability to the arm. So I guess you can say it is a unipivot with stabilization :p

Mat, from a marketing perspective, the term “stabilizer” maybe more consumer friendly and helps to accurately describes the function, but it is a dual pivot in the sense that the main pivot and the stabilizer pivot are attached on the horizontal axis which now governs the arm’s vertical movement (dual pivot).

A true uni-pivot has free rotation around the pivot axis. With the addition of a second pivot, the free rotation is now restricted (constrained) along the longitudinal axis (azimuth) but retains free rotation in both the perpendicular and lateral axis.

The term stabilizer, is not a misleading or inaccurate statement, but when used with a true VPI uni-pivot tonearm, the arm technically becomes a constrained uni-pivot arm.

I post this for clarification purposes only based on my understanding.

BTW, I like the term “Stabilizer” from a marketing standpoint, but it does more than just making the arm more user friendly, it’s a performance upgrade.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:45 am

Brf wrote:
Mat wrote:Actually, after a discussion on a different forum thread we are in the process of re-branding it as a "Stabilizer" because to be fair that is exactly what it is. it is adding additional stability to the arm. So I guess you can say it is a unipivot with stabilization :p

Mat, from a marketing perspective, the term “stabilizer” maybe more consumer friendly and helps to accurately describes the function, but it is a dual pivot in the sense that the main pivot and the stabilizer pivot are attached on the horizontal axis which now governs the arm’s vertical movement (dual pivot).

A true uni-pivot has free rotation around the pivot axis. With the addition of a second pivot, the free rotation is now restricted (constrained) along the longitudinal axis (azimuth) but retains free rotation in both the perpendicular and lateral axis.

The term stabilizer, is not a misleading or inaccurate statement, but when used with a true VPI uni-pivot tonearm, the arm technically becomes a constrained uni-pivot arm.

I post this for clarification purposes only based on my understanding.

BTW, I like the term “Stabilizer” from a marketing standpoint, but it does more than just making the arm more user friendly, it’s a performance upgrade.

Brf,

Whenever I hear the term or description of a tonearm as "dual pivot", my thoughts immediately picture a Triplanar tonearm. Maybe the more descriptive truth, and reality, would be to market it as the "additional", or "secondary" pivot performance\upgrade package. That description could serve to avoid any marketing or brand infringement issues with Triplanar, while providing both of you with the more accurate, and descriptive marketing language you want and need for generating sales.
BTW,
My bill for Consulting services is in the mail, and I am available for future Consulting contracts.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Return to Harry's Corner