Delete Harry's Corner ?''

Re: Delete Harry's Corner ?''

Postby WntrMute » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Nice to have you back HW. We missed you!
WntrMute

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Harry - We like having you around. Your presence here keeps this place interesting. You are a Wise Cracker that calls it the way you see it and I for one really enjoy that. You are the Godfather of the "sane" side of analog high end...Pursue the fight against high end price insanity if you like, but just like Obamacare, the industry is going to implode on itself. Only millionaires and billionaires can aspire to play in the top shelf sand boxes of today's high end. That said, there is a lot of really nice audio equipment within the reach of mortals but when you know you can never have the very best it is a bit disheartening.

Please pursue your dreams, whatever they may be, but also please stop by here occasionally and drop a proper BOMB for us to ramble on about until your next visit.

Enjoy your Retirement!

Best Regards
LMAD
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:31 am

One of the big things I want to do is find great older gear that is in many ways as good as what is available now.

We did a blind hi-rez digital comparison between the j-fet deigned ARC-14 and a new and very expensive line stage. No one could figure out which was which on some really demanding material. They could hear a difference but had no clue which was which. That's what happens when you level match perfectly and play back with no knowledge of which you are listening to.
If you need remote, or LED displays no problem, spend $10K, if you want the sound of $10K for less than $1K the SP-14 is a killer.

As a bonus gift it's single tube phono stage will take the new Grado Statement V-2 straight in and give you world class sound for KIA prices.

Having useful fun.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby gene9p » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 am

I might have to borrow back from my parents my very first stereo receiver circa 1976.It is an ONKYO TX 250 I believe, still works perfectly in their spare room. 25 watts per channel that I used with some big boxy AA 3 way speakers and a Dual turntable.....I gave away the Dual when I got out of vinyl a while ago, and sold off the AA speakers to a co worker. I'd love to have a reunion party..LOL
VPI CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS, Lyra Delos MC| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre + MC-152 amp | KRELL CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1| HARBETH 7es-3 | MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables|WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby jmcox » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:27 pm

"More importantly it allows me to compare cartridges and phono sections with level matching to .1db accuracy so when we compare we really compare the cartridge, not the level error. All mounted on the same arm, same table, same recording level, and loaded according the manufacturers recommendations. I will have some fascinating results shortly on this but suffice it to say you will be shocked at the results"

"One of the big things I want to do is find great older gear that is in many ways as good as what is available now"

Hey Harry, I would bet I speak for many others when I say that should you have the time or interest in sharing some of your thoughts and observations in regard to such topics as your above comments it would make very, very enjoyable reading for many folks.

Best wishes
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, VAS .30 MONO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Postby Harry » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am

Thanks guys, I will be posting about my results. There is some really great gear out there for great used prices.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby suntea » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:52 am

Great to see Harry posting again. I really value his input. In fact, I bought the Eminent Technology LFT-8b speakers without even hearing them based on his positive comments. And they are the best value I have ever had in audio equipment - and I have quite a bit of equipment!

Keep on keeping on Harry!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Sometimes a moose DOES need a hat rack... just saying...
Attachments
408955dcee416193936d68b978ddaabd.jpg
408955dcee416193936d68b978ddaabd.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:48 am

Another piece of great used audio gear, the Audio Research SP-14.

All J-fet design with one tube in the phono section. You can pick these up for $500 to $1500 on E-bay, Audiogon, etc. and it is wonderful. If I didn't have all the stuff I have and need for reportage on cartridges and tables I would have an SP-14 with the new Grado Statement and be done. Just sit and enjoy the music. A full function preamp that will let you connect almost anything and gets out of the way like a $30K line stage+phono stage. The bass is full bodied, detailed rich, full, fast, clean, all the adjectives and the treble is so clean and sweet. It delineates the three sides of a triangle with ease, it has no noise, it plays Gary Karrs contra-bass as well as it does Steve Lawrence's voice.

If you are on a budget this is the unit, if you are just sick of all the wires, this is the unit. I only miss remote control and bass and treble controls, other than that I am blown away for less than a good piece of speaker wire. Caveat, they will be used so may need some work or a general clean up to get these results.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby 930turbo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi Harry ,

I agree w/ you regarding the ARC SP14 , it's quite good , to my ears much better than the CAT SL1 preamp of the same era . Sounds sublime w/ the ARC CL 30 triode amp and the ARC D250 MK 2 Servo in my friend's system whose likewise using my former VPI TNT MK 2.5 w/ the original JMW 10 tonearm w/ an AT OC9 MK 2 Phono cartridge . He also owns the CAT SL1 so we were able to audition it extensively . It seems in my experience VPI Turntables have good synergy w/ ARC electronics.

Best regards,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner