Cart Hunting for Prime

Cart Hunting for Prime

Postby Robes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi all-

I plan to buy a Prime (open box, A?/B stock from Sound Stage Direct or elsewhere if found), any problem with that please advise. Too scared to buy from individual and get stiffed at these prices. I thought now that I decided on a TT (without any bias) it is now time to come home for further questions.

I’ve been doing my research on Carts for a Prime before I pull the trigger to arrive at a final cost, but if too spendy I may go with the Rega RP8 and Apheta 2 cart -new. I’ve had some forums suggest the Rega as a good match for my system & a tremendous number insist the Technics SL-1200G is the perfect TT for my system. My personal preference is the Prime & likely add the dual pivot to it. A number of forums say I’m way overshooting to go with a Prime (it’s too good to hear on my system) but I figure the Prime maybe found with cart for similar price, then, that would make my day! or, maybe someone could suggest here if I’m better to go with one of the scouts, yet my preference then would be a used Prime if I could find one. I keep talking myself into loops.

My system: Pre amp: Yamaha C-85, Pwr amp: Yamaha M-65, EQ: AudioControl C-101 spectrum analyzer/EQ, Speakers: JBL Control Monitors model 4312. I will attach the pertinent specs Pre & Amp.

I also included a front & rear view of the Pre amp. On the rear view, under “Phono Gain”, what is the "Normal & -10dB" red switch for, how/when would I use this? What is the “Normal” gain? It has always been in the Normal. On the front view “Phono” dial, I see two selections for MC use, all the rest I assume are MC settings. I don’t understand the MC settings, whats pF, 2/47Kohms? What’s the difference between 47Kohm,330pF and 47Kohm,220pF?

I don’t understand how to match a cart to my Pre amp available settings. I’ve reviewed allot of carts & will not be able to hear any just buy by recommendation (same with the TT). For example, I just read on the VAS Nova, really got me thinking that’s the one but which, the .25, .4, or .8mV ? I haven’t a clue but suspect with all the selections on my Pre amp one may work? Anyhow, I must have been reading an early post on the Nova because checking current pricing, it has risen dramatically.

It’s been suggested to me that I should stay within ~$500 - $800 for a cart since I wouldn’t benefit from higher end carts with my system even with a Prime. Basically, how do I look for a cart that will be appropriate for use with my system using the Prime 3d arm. Any cart suggestions appreciated, as well as explanation of my Pre amp selections.

Another question, I assume the 3D unipivot arm is a light or low mass arm vs a heavy arm? I see some carts mention that they are designed to be used with light or heavy arms. How do you determine if you have a light or heavy arm when tracking can be set the same on either weight arm? or does it have to do with lateral weight motion/response?

P.S. When people speak about “what to load the cart at?” does that mean (for example) what I would turn the “Phono” dial to on the front my Pre, as well as what to set the “Phono Gain” on the rear of my Pre?

Thanks for any feedback on any of the above-
Robes :mrgreen:
Attachments
4.jpg
PRE AMP FRONT VIEW
4.jpg (157.4 KiB) Viewed 554 times
5.JPG
PRE AMP REAR VIEW
5.JPG (120.64 KiB) Viewed 554 times
6.jpg
PRE AMP INTRO
6.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 554 times
7.jpg
PRE AMP SPECS
7.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 554 times
8.jpg
PWR AMP SPECS
8.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Robes

Re: Cart Hunting for Prime

Postby Robes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Back again-

I've been Googling & found more extensive specs and copied some descriptive text about the PHONO Selector switch on the front of Pre amp as well as the PHONO GAIN button on the rear panel.

PHONO SELECTOR
Selects the TT and Impedance. The leftmost position selects
PHONO 2, which requires an MM cart. The 5 positions to the
right all select PHONO 1: a choice of 3 MM & 2 MC settings
are offered.

Phono 2 requires an MM of 47k-ohms (220 pF) impedance.

REAR PANEL: PHONO GAIN switch (small RED button)
Use this switch to refine volume control with high output
level carts. Press the button in to lower the output signal
by 10dB; press again to release the button and return the
output signal to normal.

I'm also attaching the more complete specs to the Yamaha C-85 Pre amp.
Attachments
C-85_Specs.jpg
C-85 Pre Amp Additional Specs
C-85_Specs.jpg (216.63 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Robes

Postby Robes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:19 pm

No replies necessary to this thread; I have received all the information I was looking for from a couple outstanding forums elsewhere-

Robes
Robes

Postby Harry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:53 pm

You can get as good a system as you want, I use a Yamaha AV receiver in my system downstairs with an Avenger and Lyra Etna and it sounds amazing. Anyone who says Yamaha isn't worthy of a great front end is full of it. The truth is if you get a Prime you only need to spend about $800.00 on an Ortofon 2M Bronze, the combo will blow you away and the Yamaha will love it.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Robes » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Thanks for the reply Harry.

That is what the conclusion was after weeks of inquiry, that is, basically I can
Put any cart on it. Definitely Ortofon is on the list. I was curious about the Nova but just
Don't think I need to spend that much with a handful of great choices available now in the
~ $800 range. I just picked up a steal on a new walnut Prime from Seth at, ahhh- you know.

I Included the dual pivot & Tru-Lift with my order. Boy, I just love that walnut wrapped TT. He also gave me a new Ortofon Red so I can use it while deciding on a cart. Guess I'll be starting a new thread on Prime carts to get some more subjective opinions on various options.
Robes-
Robes

Postby Harry » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:32 am

The 2M Red is a good beginning and it will only get better from there. Have fun.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Robes » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Harry wrote: The truth is if you get a Prime you only need to spend about $800.00 on an Ortofon 2M Bronze, the combo will blow you away and the Yamaha will love it.
HW

Sorry to pester you but to be clear you mentioned the Ortofon 2M Bronze for ~ $800. I was wondering if that was indeed the cart you were thinking of because it's listing around $440. The Ortofon 2M Black is listed for very near $800. ?

Robes :mrgreen:
Robes

Postby Harry » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:08 am

That is it. I'm not up on my prices and always assume the worst in this inflated audio world we live in. The Bronze is a very enjoyable cartridge and worth double the money.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby jmcox » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:24 pm

I second the feedback on the 2M Bronze. It's a very nice all around performer that has a nice presentation. Same engine as the 2M Black, but a different stylus, and I think I might prefer its stylus over the Shibata in the 2M Black. Nice cart.
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova .25 LO, Paradox Pulse 103R/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/VPI 299D/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables
jmcox

Return to Harry's Corner