Heavily Modded Scout Vs Classic 1

Re: Heavily Modded Scout Vs Classic 1

Postby cbl117 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:39 pm

MMMC wrote:
cbl117,

The Prime Scout Special Edition pops visually with the white plinth. Very nice! One question, why did you go with the metal arm instead of the 3D?
At it's listed price, the Prime Special Edtion has to be a turntable bargain. Congratulations for many happy listening days to come.

MMMC

MMMC, went with the metal arm only to meet a specific price point. In hind sight, I think I should have just bit the bullet and went for the 3D arm.

That said, It's a great table and a real bargain!
cbl117

Postby MMMC » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:21 am

cbl117 wrote:
MMMC wrote:
cbl117,

The Prime Scout Special Edition pops visually with the white plinth. Very nice! One question, why did you go with the metal arm instead of the 3D?
At it's listed price, the Prime Special Edtion has to be a turntable bargain. Congratulations for many happy listening days to come.

MMMC

MMMC, went with the metal arm only to meet a specific price point. In hind sight, I think I should have just bit the bullet and went for the 3D arm.

That said, It's a great table and a real bargain!

cb117,

I understand that "$%###&*%# money" or the lack of said, get's in the way of all of us at times, nevertheless, you still have a very nice turntable. If, or when you decide to upgrade just the arm to a 3D, the "R" version is worth biting the bullet for. Let the music play!

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby MSchott » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:51 pm

cbl117 wrote:Question for harry and general community. I have been contemplating moving to a Classic from a heavily modified Scout.

The scout modifications are:
TNT6 Acrylic Platter (1.75")
Mini HRX Feet
300rpm motor
SS/Delrin Clamp

The modified scout is in a league of its own compared to the stock scout, but I'm wondering how much of a performance difference is still there between my current scout and a classic (1). Off hand, the benefits from moving to a classic would be a 10" arm, more plinth mass, and an aluminum platter. Do these upgrades alone warrant the purchase of a classic?

I know this is a bit old, but of these upgrades, which do you think are most significant and why?
MSchott

Postby JRM » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:02 pm

You can also purchase a new "Drop-in-place" 9 inch 3D Arm for the Scout, but there are no published reviews to date. A 10 inch Arm requires more extensive modification plus the cartridge could stick out beyond the TT.
JRM

Postby JRM » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:58 am

Harry,

I utilize the Dynavector 20X2-H on my existing Scout 2 Armwand. Is this cartridge compatible with the new 9 inch 3D Armwand, considering its weight and specifications?

Thank you
JRM

Postby Brf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 am

JRM wrote:Harry,

I utilize the Dynavector 20X2-H on my existing Scout 2 Armwand. Is this cartridge compatible with the new 9 inch 3D Armwand, considering its weight and specifications?

Thank you

Can’t speak for HW, but the 20xl is an excellent match for the 9 3D and has being a long time favourite of VPI.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Stringreen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 pm

Don't forget the 2nd pivot for the 3D
Stringreen

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner