Heavily Modded Scout Vs Classic 1

Heavily Modded Scout Vs Classic 1

Postby cbl117 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Question for harry and general community. I have been contemplating moving to a Classic from a heavily modified Scout.

The scout modifications are:
TNT6 Acrylic Platter (1.75")
Mini HRX Feet
300rpm motor
SS/Delrin Clamp

The modified scout is in a league of its own compared to the stock scout, but I'm wondering how much of a performance difference is still there between my current scout and a classic (1). Off hand, the benefits from moving to a classic would be a 10" arm, more plinth mass, and an aluminum platter. Do these upgrades alone warrant the purchase of a classic?
cbl117

Re: Heavily Modded Scout Vs Classic 1

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:10 am

The advantages of the Classic over the your Scout are the 10" arm with VTA base (if you get one with the VTA base) the very solid chassis, and the exceptional speed stability of an internally mounted motor. The negatives will be the added cost, the motor internally mounted (may have more background noise with high efficiency speakers), lack of upgrade capability due to everything mounted on one solid chassis.

If you love the way the Classic looks, feels, and runs that is a different story. Go for the best one you can get with the wood base you love to look at. I personally love the walnut and rosewood versions but that is me. My favorite table for looks alone is the rosewood Classic 4! Luckily it sounds wonderful too!

Personally I would just put a 10" 3D arm on your table and keep enjoying music only more so if you like the looks of your Scout ( I do).

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 pm

cbl117 wrote:Question for harry and general community. I have been contemplating moving to a Classic from a heavily modified Scout.

Mini HRX Feet
300rpm motor
SS/Delrin Clamp

The modified scout is in a league of its own compared to the stock scout, but I'm wondering how much of a performance difference is still there between my current scout and a classic (1). Off hand, the benefits from moving to a classic would be a 10" arm, more plinth mass, and an aluminum platter. Do these upgrades alone warrant the purchase of a classic?

Since I say your Classified for your table, I guess you are moving on. I had the exact same setup except for the HRX feet and found moving to a Classic was an improvement.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby cbl117 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:25 am

Harry wrote:The advantages of the Classic over the your Scout are the 10" arm with VTA base (if you get one with the VTA base) the very solid chassis, and the exceptional speed stability of an internally mounted motor. The negatives will be the added cost, the motor internally mounted (may have more background noise with high efficiency speakers), lack of upgrade capability due to everything mounted on one solid chassis.

If you love the way the Classic looks, feels, and runs that is a different story. Go for the best one you can get with the wood base you love to look at. I personally love the walnut and rosewood versions but that is me. My favorite table for looks alone is the rosewood Classic 4! Luckily it sounds wonderful too!

Personally I would just put a 10" 3D arm on your table and keep enjoying music only more so if you like the looks of your Scout ( I do).

HW

Harry, thanks for the input. I guess one important thing to note is this table would be dedicated to headphone listening only. So, I'm wondering if I'd notice more background noise with the classic since headphones could be treated as high efficiency speakers? I do love the look of my scout, and I'd like to hang onto it as I've invested a lot in upgrades.

What's really making me consider moving on is the very last little bit of inner groove distortion I hear through my headphones. Its on < 5% of my records, usually on the last track, and very brief during passages of large high frequency energy. I chalked it up to the limitations of my arm and the fact that listening with headphones is like looking through a magnifying glass. It could also be in the recording either during mastering or groove damage from prior owners. I've also triple checked my alignment/setup using Dr feickert's protractor.

I didn't realize I could use a 10" arm on the scout. Do I need any additional modification or can I drop a 10" arm into the existing arm mount location? Would a Classic 10.5 arm alleviate the issue I'm facing, or do I need to be looking at 3D arms for the additional damping they provide?

DSCN1066.jpg
DSCN1066.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 791 times
cbl117

Postby cbl117 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:28 am

spinblackcircle wrote:
cbl117 wrote:Question for harry and general community. I have been contemplating moving to a Classic from a heavily modified Scout.

Mini HRX Feet
300rpm motor
SS/Delrin Clamp

Since I say your Classified for your table, I guess you are moving on. I had the exact same setup except for the HRX feet and found moving to a Classic was an improvement.

Yep, thats me on Audiogon. I'm reluctantly listing the table to get a feel for the market, but not totally convinced moving on is the best option.
cbl117

Postby cbl117 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:41 pm

Harry, I pulled the trigger on a Classic 1 with a Piano Black finish from Musicdirect. I get it next week. Pretty excited to get it setup!
cbl117

Postby Johnny » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:39 am

cbl117 wrote:Harry, I pulled the trigger on a Classic 1 with a Piano Black finish from Musicdirect. I get it next week. Pretty excited to get it setup!

Congrats. Piano black.....nice bonus!
Johnny

Postby Harry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:03 pm

How is it working out?

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby cbl117 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Harry wrote:How is it working out?

HW

Harry, everything has worked out great. You and Mat were a great help when the Classic 1 arrived in a precarious state (Thanks Fedex).

Not sure if Mat explained the ending, but I changed direction a bit (I think for the better) and went with a Prime Scout Special Edition. Love everything about it!

Thank you, to You and Mat, for the great customer support.
DSCN1081.jpg
DSCN1081.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 437 times
cbl117

Postby MMMC » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:07 pm

cbl117 wrote:
Harry wrote:How is it working out?

HW

Harry, everything has worked out great. You and Mat were a great help when the Classic 1 arrived in a precarious state (Thanks Fedex).

Not sure if Mat explained the ending, but I changed direction a bit (I think for the better) and went with a Prime Scout Special Edition. Love everything about it!

Thank you, to You and Mat, for the great customer support.
DSCN1081.jpg

cbl117,

The Prime Scout Special Edition pops visually with the white plinth. Very nice! One question, why did you go with the metal arm instead of the 3D?
At it's listed price, the Prime Special Edtion has to be a turntable bargain. Congratulations for many happy listening days to come.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Next

Return to Harry's Corner