Phono Interconnect Wiring Survey - Nordost Reference?

Re: Phono Interconnect Wiring Survey - Nordost Reference?

Postby gene9p » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:49 am

I am using Morrow Audio wiring and interconnects including the PH5 phono cable, SP3 RCA cables and xlrs,and SP4 speaker wires.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:18 am

I have a Vanquish with one 12" 3D Ref arm wired with Discovery the other 12" Ref 3D with Valhalla 2, putting the Valhalla 2 interconnect between my junction box and phono section makes a huge difference on both arms so obviously it really matters. I know, it makes no sense to me or anyone else, but you can hear it immediately as being more open, better bass, cleaner midrange, less noise.

I think when a signal is this low in power everything matters as the electrical circuit will be changed by the difference in capacitance, resistance, grounding, etc., in the IC and the change is much greater percentage wise in this situation.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm

Harry wrote:I have a Vanquish with one 12" 3D Ref arm wired with Discovery the other 12" Ref 3D with Valhalla 2, putting the Valhalla 2 interconnect between my junction box and phono section makes a huge difference on both arms so obviously it really matters. I know, it makes no sense to me or anyone else, but you can hear it immediately as being more open, better bass, cleaner midrange, less noise.

I think when a signal is this low in power everything matters as the electrical circuit will be changed by the difference in capacitance, resistance, grounding, etc., in the IC and the change is much greater percentage wise in this situation.

HW

Thanks Harry - No doubt it matters. The real question is how do we get there without buying 10K interconnects? Thoughts?
Letsmakeadeal

Postby gene9p » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm

just got my arm back..UPS did nthere best to smash the box even with the re fragile sticker on it. God they are idiots...lol

The Nordost wire looks just like the original Discovery multi color wiring,please tell me it was rewired. :o

I will be installing arm later tonight/tomorrow. Thanks for the fast turn around Harry. One week..nice. v :D
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:38 pm

The Nordost Ref wire does look similar to the Discovery so no worries on that note....
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:42 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
Harry wrote:I have a Vanquish with one 12" 3D Ref arm wired with Discovery the other 12" Ref 3D with Valhalla 2, putting the Valhalla 2 interconnect between my junction box and phono section makes a huge difference on both arms so obviously it really matters. I know, it makes no sense to me or anyone else, but you can hear it immediately as being more open, better bass, cleaner midrange, less noise.

HW

Thanks Harry - No doubt it matters. The real question is how do we get there without buying 10K interconnects? Thoughts?

Letsmakeadeal,

While we are temporarily bogged down with no clarification on the "carbon fiber wrap", and it's contribution, or no contribution to the tonearm's sonic properties, I thought I dropped bread crumbs on this in a previous posot, that no one has bothered to further comment on, so I guess I will.
My attempts to discover more information about the property of the Reference 2 wiring seemed to lead to copper wire coated with silver. The information provided on the Nordost site states; Valhalla Reference tonearm: 78 microns of extruded silver over a 99.999999% OFC solid-core.
That is why I chose a quality interconnect composed of silver wiring. Silver is considered the best conductor of electrical signals, and hopefully less degradation of the originating signal, with good signal connections at junction box, phono preamp, and preamp.
What are others solutions and rational to this?

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 pm

@MMMC

I think I will order some silver wire and make a few ICs. I need 2 sets for the stereo side since I use a head amp. I just need to confirm the size wire (most say 30ga) for this application and then either the quasi air dielectric approach or Teflon coated....Hopefully I can get by without shielding..

Aside from the strange aesthetic of the quasi air dielectric approach this is the direction that has me intrigued a bit...fortunately the small gauge silver wire isn't all that expensive...
Letsmakeadeal

Postby WntrMute » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:09 pm

https://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html
https://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html#vhcotton

Chris at VH-Audio has a nice silver wire in 24 & 28 gauge insulated with cotton. I've built his DIY interconnects with very fine results-however, I don't play in the same rarified air as you guys do.
WntrMute

Postby gene9p » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Tone arm re installed with Nordost wiring. One week turn around..nice. Since I am breaking in a new set of Harbeths and some NOS tube in my phono stage it would be hard for me to say what sonic differences there are. I added both since disconnecting the arm awaiting a good time frame to ship it in to VPI. I can say all sounds great and that's what matters most. :D
Attachments
IMG_20170801_170841366.jpg
IMG_20170801_170841366.jpg (180.94 KiB) Viewed 325 times
gene9p

Postby Stringreen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm

My take on the Nordost vs Discovery is that the Nordost is brighter, the Discover is more relaxed. It really depends on one's ears, and how it resides in your own system. I have Discovery and like it. (I am using it balanced (XLR) which might have less of a difference between them)
Stringreen

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner