Phono Interconnect Wiring Survey - Nordost Reference?

Phono Interconnect Wiring Survey - Nordost Reference?

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 pm

I am going out on a limb here and assuming that very few if any of us have Nordost Reference interconnects connecting our 12" 3DR tonearms to our preamps, head amps, or step ups. If this is true why does 24" of the Nordost REF wire in our tonearms have a demonstrably positive effect on our sound?

I am thinking about DIYing some new hi purity silver phono cables since you can't buy the Nordost raw wire and I am not paying the toll for Nordost Retail Reference interconnects. There are only a couple of great choices for 30 gauge high purity silver. One is raw and you use larger Teflon tubing to simulate an air dielectric and the other is Teflon coated....Thoughts?

If you have a 12" 3DR VPI tonearm with Nordost Reference wire, what are you using for ICs? Single ended? Balanced? Direct, Head amp, step up? Is your junction box also Nordost Ref?

I don't hate to admit it as I am currently using DIY non silver (as in cu) balanced cables btw my tonearms head amp and preamp and my system sounds amazing IMHO. What are you using now? At one time I had Transparent Reference throughout my system and yet I like my DIY mostly Balanced cables better in all regards...
Let's focus on tonearm junction box to preamp, SUT or head amp and then on to the preamp....Your Thoughts?......
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Re: Phono Interconnect Wiring Survey - Nordost Reference?

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:18 pm

I own a lot, and have tried a ton of phono interconnects, and the best cable imho is the Audio Sensibility OCC pure 7N silver Statement phono cable. It is so detailed without any harshness and does bass very well. Now for some really good news, it's not expensive at around $375US!

As an aside, I have tried the Valhalla phono (original, not the ver 2) and the Audio Sensibility is much better imho.

I used Audio Sendibility cable throughout my entire system.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Brf wrote:I own a lot, and have tried a ton of phono interconnects, and the best cable imho is the Audio Sensibility OCC pure 7N silver Statement phono cable. It is so detailed without any harshness and does bass very well. Now for some really good news, it's not expensive at around $375US!

As an aside, I have tried the Valhalla phono (original, not the ver 2) and the Audio Sensibility is much better imho.

This company is one that will sell raw Teflon coated wire. BRF are you using their shielded or non shielded silver cables? I think the silver statement is shielded?
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:
Brf wrote:I own a lot, and have tried a ton of phono interconnects, and the best cable imho is the Audio Sensibility OCC pure 7N silver Statement phono cable. It is so detailed without any harshness and does bass very well. Now for some really good news, it's not expensive at around $375US!

This company is one that will sell raw Teflon coated wire. BRF are you using their shielded or non shielded silver cables? I think the silver statement is shielded?

All their cables are shielded. I do not believe that AS sells raw cable. Their cables are one of the best constructed cables on the market.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 pm

I was surprised but Steve sent me this info when I inquired about raw silver & shielded raw silver wiring...For anyone interested in raw silver cable for DIY, this info from Steve at Audio Sensibility may be of use...Comes with high regard FWIW....

Teflon Ins Solid Core OCC Silver - Cryo-Treated
$US/ft $CDN/ft
SOST-16 41.98 56.67
SOST-18 25.41 34.31
SOST-20 16.35 22.08
SOST-22 11.03 14.89
SOST-24 7.27 9.81
SOST-26 4.54 6.13
SOST-28 2.99 4.03
SOST-30 1.95 2.63

Shielded cable
75ohm Solid Core OCC Silver Digital Coaxial Cable - Cryo-Treated
$US/ft $CDN/ft
SDIGSE 20.74 28.00

19AWG stranded OCC Silver Balanced Cable - Cryo-Treated
$US/ft $CDN/ft
SBALSE 43.53 58.77

24AWG solid core OCC Silver Balanced Cable - Cryo-Treated
$US/ft $CDN/ft
SBAL 20.78 28.06
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MMMC » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:23 am

Letsmakeadeal wrote:...............................
If you have a 12" 3DR VPI tonearm with Nordost Reference wire, what are you using for ICs? Single ended? Balanced? Direct, Head amp, step up? Is your junction box also Nordost Ref?
Let's focus on tonearm junction box to preamp, SUT or head amp and then on to the preamp....Your Thoughts?......

Letsmakeadeal,

I use the Audio Sensibility Statement Silver, RCA to RCA phono IC from HRX junction box to RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp.
From Sensor 2 to preamp I use the Silver Audio "Appassionato" interconnect. http://silveraudio.com

Of note; I have deployed all silver interconnects from Silver Audio for almost 20 years since being offered to try a pair of their "Hyacinth" interconnects with my SET powered monoblock system, with a full refund guaranteed if I did not like the resulting performance. I never sought a refund, and expanded their use throughout my system for connecting all components, one component at a time. The Audio Sensibility, Statement Silver phono interconnect was purchased a bit over a year ago for use connecting the 12 3DR to RCM Sensor2 phono, instead of upgrading to the Silver Audio Silver Breeze phono IC that would have cost 2 times as much, and It has been an excellent choice based on build quality, and sonic performance.

I believe I am already taking advantage of the performance gains offered by the 3DR tonearm wiring, and I applaud your quest.

MMMC
Last edited by MMMC on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby dodgealum » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am

Great question--looking forward to responses. My tonearm and junction box are both wired with the Nordost Reference wire. I using VPI ICs which I believe are their standard Discovery wire. I too am wondering whether/how I can maintain continuity of the signal path through a better match between the ICs and the wire that precedes them.
dodgealum

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 am

Letsmakesdeal, I agree that the Nordost Reference tonearm wire should not make a meaningful, if any, audible difference, unless a junction box with the Reference wiring is connected to the point of first amplification (SUT or phono pre) in the signal chain with interconnects comparable to the Reference wiring. An alternative to buying or building comparable interconnects would be to install something akin to Bob's Devices integrated SUT, which Is used in lieu of a standard junction box and amplifies the signal transmitted through the tonearm wire. Because the signal coming from the SUT is stronger, the output interconnect is less critical. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby gene9p » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:25 am

So what you are saying is the tonearm I just sent to Harry to be rewired will not sound any different?.....or better than the Discovery wiring already in it.?
VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:43 am

gene9p wrote:So what you are saying is the tonearm I just sent to Harry to be rewired will not sound any different?.....or better than the Discovery wiring already in it.?

If Harry could and would do it (and it did not cost a fortune) I would have him wire my tonearms with enough Nordost Ref to get me all the way to my preamp bypassing the junction boxes....(you would have to have an environment with little to no EMI/RFI for this to work but many are successful in doing this)...

You will likely hear some improvement but I am questioning how much? without also investing in the wire that follows....I think Rich is correct that the small signal chain is most critical but what % of the value of the Nordost Ref in the tonearm do we realize without using Ref throughout the whole chain to the preamp :?: ....I currently use inexpensive but highly touted copper DIY (mostly) balanced cables and the sound of my system is glorious IMHO. How much more glorious would it be with all Nordost Ref of similar through the whole phono chain? This is my question...

I will either DIY with Audio Sensibility wire of buy their cables as Brent suggested to see if I can tell...I would prefer to buy Nordost REf raw wire but it is unobtanium unfortunately...

Also, if you use an SUT that has many yards of tiny copper wire in it between the tonearm and the preamp does that not negate the value of the Nordost Ref in the tonearm? Inquiring minds want to know...It may be better to get higher output MC cartridges allowing direct connection to the pre?

I happen to use a Vendetta Research Head Amp between my tonearm and preamp so I have the effect of the Head Amp and two cable runs to contend with on my stereo arms....The mono has enough gain to go straight into the pre only requiring one set of cables.....
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Next

Return to Harry's Corner