Really Missing Harry's occasional "Bombs" and "Tweets" here

Re: Really Missing Harry's occasional "Bombs" and "Tweets" h

Postby Ducky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:Link Please - I need a laugh! :lol:

I'm guessing this is it: https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1153338 :lol:
Ducky

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm back, I'm back!!

I have been writing reviews for the website, trying to do it correctly, in simple English, and without insulting anyone (very hard for me!) but with the number of new items I have in house (Pure Audio speakers, Levinson phono, Genesis Maestro speakers, Grado Epoch, etc., it is difficult). Besides, I was getting bored with the forum, too much detail not enough fun but let's start all over.

I really hate the prices of this software coming out. I don't know about you guys but $50.00 for another copy of yada-yada-yada doesn't cut it anymore. I have a load of commercial reel to reel tapes from the late 50's that should be reproduced on vinyl that would blow you away. Ever hear Jimmie Luncford in Hi Fi done by Billy May on Capitol, or the amazing Hell Bent for Leather by Frankie Lane on Columbia, of course not. Multiply that by 10,000 and you will see how we are being fed the same granola day after day when there are so many bacon and cheese omelets to enjoy.

One more rant and I will go. My Yamaha AV receiver in my video system takes a thumb drive with almost any file on it, puts the music on your TV screen, lets you navigate through the music, play what you want, decodes it, corrects the room so you can enjoy it, delivers the music to 7.1 channels, (only use 4) and has full remote control, cost $480.00 ($600.00 retail) and they make units into the multi thousand dollar range. Three audio people and two manufacturers have heard this and were blown away at how good digital sounded on this very simple system. You should hear vinyl on it going through a great phono section into the audio line input. Not a recommendation just a thought about the industry and value for the money. You can easily buy better if you are careful, you can also spend a lot of money and get worse.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby dirmae » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Welcome back Harry
Good to see that there are people in the business that are willing to recommend a $600 AV recveiver. There's enough expensive stuff already.
dirmae

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Harry wrote:I have been writing reviews for the website, trying to do it correctly, in simple English, and without insulting anyone (very hard for me!) but with the number of new items I have in house (Pure Audio speakers, Levinson phono, Genesis Maestro speakers, Grado Epoch, etc., it is difficult).

I've really been enjoying your reviews, please keep them coming.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm

I really like my (elderly) Yamaha AV receiver... not bad for a cheap piece - especially with 10-15 mins of warm up time!

Happy Listening!
DeeCee
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:10 pm

I have a feeling compoinents like the Schiit Freya and Vidar are going to turn things a bit upside down in the audio world, at least I hope so. Pricing is getting outta sight.

A Prime Scout, Mani, Freya and one or two Vidars and a pair of Maggies, Eminent Technology or Tektons and you would have a pretty awesome system for under 7-8K.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

+1 on New Software Cost

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Glad to see you back Harry..

So are you gonna get any of those many tapes you have put on LPs for us (33.3) please?...I bet you can sell a ton of them if the price is right...Speaking of exorbitant software cost, how about 250 bucks a pop for new 15ips tapes (most X2 per title)...I really want to wander into the RTR sandbox but the software reality keeps me out....
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass X600.5 amps, Eminent Technology LFT VI speakers, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, VPI HRX Reference (MagDrive/RimDrive), 12" 3DR tonearms, Miyajima Kansui & ZERO, VPI ADS, Vendetta SCP-1
Letsmakeadeal

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:01 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:I have a feeling compoinents like the Schiit Freya and Vidar are going to turn things a bit upside down in the audio world, at least I hope so. Pricing is getting outta sight.

A Prime Scout, Mani, Freya and one or two Vidars and a pair of Maggies, Eminent Technology or Tektons and you would have a pretty awesome system for under 7-8K.

Agreed!
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:53 am

You can build an amazing system for well under $10K and be very happy for many years. The ET speakers, the Pure Audio open baffle speakers, the Player going into the line input of a Yamaha AV unit can make up a very, very good first or second system.

Do not dismiss room correction in these AV units, they do an amazing job fixing the bass in normal stereo systems where it is really needed. The more speakers you add makes the job easier as the room becomes less peaky all by itself.

I have a system with the Yamaha AV unit as the heart, a pair of Pure Audio Trio 15TB ( four 15" open baffle woofers) in the front, a pair of Vandersteen 3a Sigs in the rear, and the bass before correction is good, after correction it is clean and full and real in all manners of description. That whole system with the cabling is less than $10k and is worth every penny.

That is not to say it competes full bore with the big systems, what it does is sound like music in every way and it costs less than some speaker wire!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner