Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Re: Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Postby Brf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 am

Don't get discouraged as your efforts will be rewarded with improved performance and sonics.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JohnCh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:49 am

Are you sure you have the second pivot mounted correctly? There are no movement issues with mine. My only negative is that like some others have reported, the adjusting set screw is a little loose and can move on its own unless you add a little Teflon tape to the threads -- which is a little tough to do given the size. For $150 I wouldn't expect that to be the case, but I have a suspicion as to the underlying cause. The screw that attaches the second pivot to the arm takes a standard hex key. The adjustment screw on my unit, however, requires a metric key. My theory is that the adjuster threads are cut for SAE, but some units were shipped with metric set screws by mistake. Eyeballing it, the set screw is about 1/8" in diameter. An M3 screw is about .007" narrower which would account for the slight play. Of course I could be wrong and it's just sloppy machining on either the set screw or the second pivot body. Regardless, it was a worthwhile mod for me.

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, Lehmann Black Cube SE II, Oppo BDP-105, VTL 2.5 w/NOS tubes, Channel Islands Audio E200S, Magnepan 1.7 w/Mye stands, REL Strata III, Audio Sensibility Impact SE & Clear Day Double Shotgun cables
JohnCh

Postby JimTimP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:21 am

If your counter intuitive is hitting the slide plate, you placed the plate too far back. Also, get the 2nd pivot right up to, but not touching the inside azimuth weight. I actually load the pivot a tad heavy and then use the outside azimuth weight to balance out a bit of it. Infact, I turn this weight out until the pivot comes up, and then turn it in one full revolution to load the pivot.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Postby Harry » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:58 pm

JimTimP that is exactly how I do it and it always works.

You need to set the arm height so the azimuth ring is at least 3/16" above the arm base, you mount the second pivot next to the left side weight, set the height so the cartridge tracks level, put a drop of white glue on the threads and it will never move till you want it to.

If there is something wrong with your unit send it back and VPI will send you a new one but I have yet to see one that was not right and I have installed over 20 of them.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby VinBob » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:06 pm

JimTimP wrote:If your counter intuitive is hitting the slide plate, you placed the plate too far back. Also, get the 2nd pivot right up to, but not touching the inside azimuth weight. I actually load the pivot a tad heavy and then use the outside azimuth weight to balance out a bit of it. Infact, I turn this weight out until the pivot comes up, and then turn it in one full revolution to load the pivot.

Hey JimTimP - some pictures would be really appreciated if you have time of course, as visuals are a lot easier for me! ;)
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Stringreen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 pm

I find it a pain in the whatever. Yes indeed it improves the 3D, but also constantly changes adjustment. I tried Loctite purple, wasn't easy to apply, got it all over but cleaned it up. The tonearm had to be raised....that put the cueing device out of adjustment. Then I found that there wasn't enough pressure for the second pivot..the arm rattled against the plate... so had to twist the rear counterweight to add pressure for that adjustment...which of coarse knocked out the vtf, which I had to adjust again. We'll see what my Fozgometer says tomorrow when the loctite dries.
Stringreen

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner