Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Re: Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Postby thegage » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 am

I posted this in another thread, but it's more appropriate here:

I found this post by HW over at Audionirvana. Not sure I've seen anything as succinct here, nor does this seem to appear in the directions that come with the kit, which is surprising (annoying!):

"The second pivot goes behind the left side side weight so it approximates the vertical motion of an offset gimbal and will not rotate the stylus azimuth on record warps. You should use minimal pressure on that second pivot, just enough to keep it engaged, and you will be set. The second pivot adds stability to the soundstage, tightens up the bass by giving the stylus more effective mass to work against, and for many of my customers makes the arm usable again when they develop mild tremors. All in all a win in all directions.

BTW, you can decrease tracking force at least 5% and get the same tracking ability. I now track the Atlas at 1.6 grams, and may go lower, with no issues at all."

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/the- ... #post52700
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 pm

In my post on the other dual pivot thread I forgot to mention the lowering of tracking force needed. I can now track the new Grado Statement V-2 at 1.4 grams with no mistracking and the new Grado Epoch at 1.5 grams with no tracking issues. The Etna is running at 1.6 with no issues at all.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Harry wrote:Grado Epoch
:?: :shock: :o

VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Mat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:34 am

Everyone in the VPI office loves that picture! :lol:
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 am

Mat wrote:Everyone in the VPI office loves that picture! :lol:

Wish I could take credit but it was the first picture that came up in a google search.

BTW, Dual Pivot Kit arriving tomorrow!
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby VinBob » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:08 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:

Wish I could take credit but it was the first picture that came up in a google search.

Looking forward to hearing all about your experience with the installation and how it sounds!
Enjoy!
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby miner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:58 pm

I had to raise my arm (3D) to keep the inside wt from resting on the thrust plate.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:35 pm

VinBob wrote:
spinblackcircle wrote:

Looking forward to hearing all about your experience with the installation and how it sounds!
Enjoy!
Vin.

Honestly, I wish I had left well enough alone. The pivot itself doesn't attach to the arm as secure as I would like, it's easy to accidentally move it. Getting Azimuth dialed in was also a bit of a pain, I didn't want too much weight on the pivot so I setup Azimuth with the pivot point retracted and then extended it so this it was just touching the plate and added just a hair of weight using the azimuth weights so that it would have enough pressure. After listening last night, I feel I need to do some more adjusting, it seems I'm favoring the left side a bit. I had to remove my Counter Intuitive, it was hitting the plate. IMHO, given the expense and time I invested, I'd rather have that $150 and 3 hours of my life back. :x
spinblackcircle

Postby Dorian » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Exactly why I have hesitated to get one.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Dorian wrote:Exactly why I have hesitated to get one.

I am now hesitant too! :o
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner