Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Postby SteveNj » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Ok, I'm stumped. After installing the new dual pivot kit onto a Prime's 3D arm, the kit slightly tilts the arm which throws the azimuth out of alignment; and, no less of a head scratcher, why after installation is the inside counterweight now resting on the kit's plate (instead of the pivot point)?
SteveNj

Re: Dual Pivot Kit Issue

Postby baddog » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:15 pm

A picture would help, however a few thoughts.

After installation of the dual pivot, one does need to adjust the pivot point itself, it sounds like yours is not properly extended, if the counterweight as opposed to the pivot point is touching the plate.

And yes you do need to adjust azimuth after installing the dual pivot kit.

So things to consider are as follows: adjustment of the pivot point (how far it extends out by using the supplied allen wrench), applying sufficient pressure (weight) to the pivot point so it does touch the plate, and adjusting overall azimuth.

Also where are you installing your dual pivot? In front of or just behind the counterweight? (Mine is installed behind).

Hope that helps, apologies if you have done all the steps I listed above.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby SteveNj » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Hey baddog, thanks for the suggestions. I did not know that the pivot point could be adjusted. No instructions came with the two 3D arms that I received. But I can plainly see now that the little black plastic cover comes off from the center pivot point and there is a hex screw inside that can be turned to raise or lower the pivot -- that should do the trick, hopefully. I'll try this out tomorrow and get back with photos if unsuccessful. Many thanks. Best, S --
SteveNj

Postby baddog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Hey Steve - I did not realize you did not receive instructions for the Dual Pivot - this is one location of a posted version of the instructions:

http://www.elusivedisc.com/vpi-r0009-manual.pdf

Also this thread is helpful for setup tips:

http://vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8321&start=50

Let me know if you need any additional assistance.

p.s. BTW it seems you might have misinterpreted my remarks and you are also adjusting the height of the 3D arm on its pivot point, which is fine, but I wouldn't do so to compensate for use of the Dual Pivot.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby VinBob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Has anyone posted a Dual Pivot installation video anywhere on the internet? Would sure go a long way to taking out the mystery on how to install this and one would think help promote more sales of this tweak/upgrade... ;)

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Johnny » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:07 pm

VinBob wrote:Has anyone posted a Dual Pivot installation video anywhere on the internet? Would sure go a long way to taking out the mystery on how to install this and one would think help promote more sales of this tweak/upgrade... ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

Check out Brf's instructions here http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8321&hilit=offset&start=50 which were also included with my dual pivot.
Johnny

Postby VinBob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Johnny wrote:
VinBob wrote:Has anyone posted a Dual Pivot installation video anywhere on the internet? Would sure go a long way to taking out the mystery on how to install this and one would think help promote more sales of this tweak/upgrade... ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

Check out Brf's instructions here http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8321&hilit=offset&start=50 which were also included with my dual pivot.

Thanks and very helpful indeed - I think this should give me the knowledge to go forth but would still love a video though! :)
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Johnny » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:40 pm

VinBob wrote:Thanks and very helpful indeed - I think this should give me the knowledge to go forth but would still love a video though! :)

Installation is simple and straight forward....go for it!
Johnny

Postby VinBob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:49 pm

Johnny wrote:
VinBob wrote:Thanks and very helpful indeed - I think this should give me the knowledge to go forth but would still love a video though! :)

Installation is simple and straight forward....go for it!

Ha! :) - Well, it will be my next project once I redo the setup of my cartridge which I have posted about on another thread in needing some help with that too!
VinBob

Postby baddog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:10 am

It really is straightforward and simple, you just need some patience and time to devote to it.

I have done this for both my 12" 3D arm with Cadenza Black and 12" Steel arm with Zero Mono cartridge.

Well worth the effort, and believe me I had to take my time, the first install took me an hour and a half to get setup correctly. I believe if I can do it, anyone can do it. And yes the instructions are worth reviewing.

Installing the pad and Pivot itself is very straightforward , the time investment is in getting the proper pivot height and weight applied to the pivot. Your patience will be rewarded and I see that you are very methodical about things. Well worth adding to your list.
baddog

Next

Return to Harry's Corner