Correct VTA - guidance please

Re: Correct VTA - guidance please

Postby 10ovr » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:34 pm

thegage wrote:I find the Millennium block indispensable in my setups--wouldn't be without one, particularly as my current 3D arm doesn't have a flat headshell. But I've had mine for close on ten years and probably 7 or 8 different cartridges, so it's more than been worth its cost. It's not like something you have to replace every year.

John K.

+1
10ovr

Postby Johnny » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:09 am

thegage wrote:I find the Millennium block indispensable in my setups--wouldn't be without one, particularly as my current 3D arm doesn't have a flat headshell. But I've had mine for close on ten years and probably 7 or 8 different cartridges, so it's more than been worth its cost. It's not like something you have to replace every year.

John K.

Hey John, why doesn't your 3D arm have a flat headshell? Do you just level the arm and leave it?
Johnny

Postby thegage » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 am

According to my communication with Harry, slight out-of-true in the 3D headshell is not uncommon. As to why, I guess it's just that manufacturing tolerances on the 3D material are not as exact as on metal. Also, using gorilla force to tighten the cartridge screws can warp the headshell; my arm is used, and the previous user may have caused some of the warping. In my case, the headshell has a curve like a very slight smile. This means that even if the tonearm is parallel to the platter the cartridge probably isn't, depending on where it is in the headshell slots. Instead, I always use the mounting surface of the cartridge body as my reference and make starting alignment with the Millennium.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Jprod » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Newbie question - once you set it parallel how much turn on the dial should i start with to make an effective change ?
VPI Prime with ortofon 2m black, Graham slee accession phono amp, Wyred4sound STP-SE preamp, parasound halo a21 amp, Ascend acoustics tower speakers with RAAL ribbon tweeters, audio sensibility signature cables
Jprod

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Jprod wrote:Newbie question - once you set it parallel how much turn on the dial should i start with to make an effective change ?

It depends on the following:
1) stylus profile
2) the resolution of your system
3) how well trained your hearing is. Notice that I didn't say how "good" your hearing is because you need to train your brain to listen for subtle variances etc.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby oldskooldude » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 am

It depends on the following:
1) stylus profile
2) the resolution of your system
3) how well trained your hearing is. Notice that I didn't say how "good" your hearing is because you need to train your brain to listen for subtle variances etc.

Brf, please explain what you mean by stylus profile. Is that the position of the stylus relative to the the record surface? Thanks
oldskooldude

Postby Brf » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:59 am

Stylus profile refers to the actual shape of the diamond stylus (see below). Some stylus shapes are more sensitive to small changes in SRA than others.
Attachments
stylustypes.jpg
stylustypes.jpg (31.6 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby babybird » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 pm

I certainly would not claim to have BRF's vast experience but can relate my own humble experience using my Classic 1 TT. Once my tone arm is truly level I have found very small adjustments, i.e. turns of lock nut can make a noticeable difference and by that I mean a quarter of a turn might be way too much while 1/8th of a turn might be just right. To that I will add I am using the Sound Smith MIMC Star cartridge. Very small adjustments seem to yield rather large results.
babybird

Postby VinBob » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:56 pm

John K.

Hi John,

When you said your 3D arm doesn't have a flat headshell, are you referring to when looking at it from the side in that is slopes down or upwards and is not level to the armtube? Just trying to understand visually what you are referring to and have attached a picture to what I think you are referring to.

Cheers,
Vin.
Attachments
IMG_4795 comments.JPG
IMG_4795 comments.JPG (278.93 KiB) Viewed 413 times
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby thegage » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:02 am

Vin,

The headshell itself has a small curve to it.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner