Correct VTA - guidance please

Re: Correct VTA - guidance please

Postby oldskooldude » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:56 pm

This is all well and good. What thickness record do you set it with? If you adjust VTA/SRA for each record thickness you play, do you re-set VTF as well? Or, do you just dial the VTA/SRA in with a "typical" record (if there is such a thing) and leave it there? I've wrestled with this for a while now and I can see a vast difference from one record to another. I want to listen. If I have to spend 10-15 minutes for every record to reset everything (which would be ideal) then I wouldn't get much listening done. It seems to me you have to find a spot that works for most records and leave it.

My Denon DP-60L was an audiophile turntable 35 years ago. It doesn't have an easy adjustment for VTA so you set it and forgot it. It worked well and still does. This tells me this can be a deep pit to fall into especially if you are OCD!
oldskooldude

Postby VinBob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:06 pm

oldskooldude wrote:This is all well and good. What thickness record do you set it with? If you adjust VTA/SRA for each record thickness you play, do you re-set VTF as well? Or, do you just dial the VTA/SRA in with a "typical" record (if there is such a thing) and leave it there? I've wrestled with this for a while now and I can see a vast difference from one record to another. I want to listen. If I have to spend 10-15 minutes for every record to reset everything (which would be ideal) then I wouldn't get much listening done. It seems to me you have to find a spot that works for most records and leave it.

My Denon DP-60L was an audiophile turntable 35 years ago. It doesn't have an easy adjustment for VTA so you set it and forgot it. It worked well and still does. This tells me this can be a deep pit to fall into especially if you are OCD!

I believe the general consensus is that you set it based on the typical LP that you will generally listen to and call it a day - At least, that's what I plan on doing as like you said, it would drive you crazy having to redo the setups for different LP thickness and waste time with setup when one should be listening. If you could simply just adjust the VTA and be done, then that wouldn't be so bad, but you have to revisit VTF and alignment too. Just too much hassle IMO...

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby SubVet » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:06 pm

There is no reason to change any of the alignment setting when you adjust the VTA knob to account for a thicker (or thinner) record. In fact the goal is to move the knob such that the angle is exactly the same as it was when you did the alignment.
Myself, I can't really hear a difference when I forget to make the adjustment. But even so, I have a setting for regular records (140gr or so) and thicker records (180gr or so). In both cases I have the arm a tiny fraction tail down.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Postby oldskooldude » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 pm

I agree with you Vin. And SubVet you described exactly what I have been doing, including the tiny bit of tail down. I too, don't notice it when I forget to change it with the record once I've gotten it to where it sounds right. It seems that changing from an old, thin LP to the newer pressings the change on the VTA is about 75-80 notches.
oldskooldude

Postby VinBob » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Sorry for suggesting an incorrect change to alignment but surely, there would be an adjustment to VTF right when adjusting VTA right?!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby SubVet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 am

VinBob wrote:Sorry for suggesting an incorrect change to alignment but surely, there would be an adjustment to VTF right when adjusting VTA right?!

Cheers,
Vin.

No. If you keep the same angle as when you measured VTF, it will be the same force. The key is the arm angle (which dictates the stylus angle) should be consistent between the alignment and any thickness record you play. Again, it may not be detectable by ear and perhaps not even by VTF measurement, depending upon the sensitivity of your gauge.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner