Classic 3 vs. Avenger Series Comparison

Re: Classic 3 vs. Avenger Series Comparison

Postby Harry » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:31 am

Unnecessary, the direct drive is absolutely noiseless, roughly 120 db down above 40 Hz and still 90 down around 20 Hz.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby supersax » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Harry (or maybe Mat?),

If the 40th Anniversary DD is so good and only $12K, how does the Avenger Reference compare re: performance as well as other benefits/advantages?

Dave
supersax

Postby Harry » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Different animal. The Avenger is designed to take up to three arms, is highly adaptable to different arms (something our customers do), and is a sand box that you can bring all your toys into. The DD is a one stop shop for the user that just wants to enjoy music. That same DD motor and drive in the Avenger chassis would be more expensive than the Reference Avenger.

The customer base is completely different. I use a gimbal Fat Boy now and change arms to change cartridges on my Classic Direct, takes more time than the uni-pivot but I find it easier long term, most would not. It really is a matter of taste and how much you want to play.

You could easily live with either one, both are SOTA and both are very, very musical. The $12K price is for the first 400 to celebrate the anniversary.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby BillK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:39 am

Well hold on, I have a 10" Unipivot Fat Boy on order for my SSM, but it sounds like I should perhaps hold out for the 40th Anniversary DD instead?

If I should stay with my SSM should I get the gimbaled Fat Boy instead?
BillK

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:21 am

BillK wrote:Well hold on, I have a 10" Unipivot Fat Boy on order for my SSM, but it sounds like I should perhaps hold out for the 40th Anniversary DD instead?

If I should stay with my SSM should I get the gimbaled Fat Boy instead?

... Nevermind ... :oops:
Last edited by Peer Gynt on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peer Gynt

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:32 am

As I recall, the Classic and Avenger direct drives cannot be serviced by the user and must be returned to VPI every couple of years for maintenance. Is this also the case with the 40th Anniversary direct drives. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby BillK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 am

Peer Gynt wrote:You might want to check on SSMs status. They appear to be in turmoil and may have failed.

SSM = Super Scoutmaster.

Not SSD, SoundStage Direct. :D
Last edited by BillK on Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillK

Postby BillK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am

Orchids1 wrote:As I recall, the Classic and Avenger direct drives cannot be serviced by the user and must be returned to VPI every couple of years for maintenance. Is this also the case with the 40th Anniversary direct drives. Rich

Why would that be the case? You never need to do anything to a Technics SL1200.
BillK

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:02 am

BillK wrote:
Orchids1 wrote:As I recall, the Classic and Avenger direct drives cannot be serviced by the user and must be returned to VPI every couple of years for maintenance. Is this also the case with the 40th Anniversary direct drives. Rich

Why would that be the case? You never need to do anything to a Technics SL1200.

The new VPI 40th anniversary DD turntable does not use the same DD motor as the Vanquish and Classic Direct which is a much more complex and sophisticated motor. Most DD motor are not field serviceable but at the same time they are inherently reliable and will give the user many years of service.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby BillK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:36 am

Well that still leaves the questions of:

1) Should I cancel my 10" Unipivot Fatboy and go for the gimbal since Harry seems to prefer the gimbaled now
2) Should I cancel my 10" Unipivot Fatboy and wait to see what the 40th Anniversary table will look like, or would it be a step down in quality from my SSM?
BillK

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner