Classic 3 vs. Avenger Series Comparison

Re: Classic 3 vs. Avenger Series Comparison

Postby Brf » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:03 am

BillK wrote:1) Should I cancel my 10" Unipivot Fatboy and go for the gimbal since Harry seems to prefer the gimbaled now

What HW pefers may not be your preference. Gimbal and Uni-pivots each have their own strengths and weakness, therefore, it all comes down to personal preference.

BillK wrote:2) Should I cancel my 10" Unipivot Fatboy and wait to see what the 40th Anniversary table will look like, or would it be a step down in quality from my SSM?

Impossible to give an informed opinion as the 40th Anniversary is not in production as of yet.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby BillK » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:11 am

Well that's not helpful. :D :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks.
BillK

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 am

BillK wrote:Well that's not helpful. :D :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks.

If it were my decision, I would wait until the release of the VPI 40ADDT. By all accounts, you are getting a final destination turntable for $12K. I know that $12K is a lot of money, but when you compare it with what's available at that price point, it will be considered a bargain, plus it comes with the $5600 12" gimbaled Fatboy!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby BillK » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:19 am

One question is, will the 40DD accept or come with the peripheral ring?

I have a fair amount of not perfectly flat vinyl that the ring smooths right out, and I'd hate to give it up.

My dealer says VPI told them it will be at least another month until my Fatboy arrives, so hopefully they will make some sort of announcement between now and then.

I don't want to cancel my order, as if I upgrade my tonearm I wouldn't want to miss out on the trade-in offer for my current 10.5" 3D.
BillK

Postby Dorian » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:33 am

BillK wrote:One question is, will the 40DD accept or come with the peripheral ring?

I have a fair amount of not perfectly flat vinyl that the ring smooths right out, and I'd hate to give it up.

My dealer says VPI told them it will be at least another month until my Fatboy arrives, so hopefully they will make some sort of announcement between now and then.

I don't want to cancel my order, as if I upgrade my tonearm I wouldn't want to miss out on the trade-in offer for my current 10.5" 3D.

I'm guessing it will use the Classic/Prime platter, so yes.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Dorian wrote:
BillK wrote:One question is, will the 40DD accept or come with the peripheral ring?

I'm guessing it will use the Classic/Prime platter, so yes.

That would be my "guess" also, since VPI would want to maximize economies of scale by modifying the Classic platter. Certainly, the added weight of the periphery weight should not pose a problem for the high torque DD motor.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:04 pm

It will use the Classic/Prime platter diameter so the P. Ring will work perfectly on it. BTW, start up with the new controller is less than 1 second!! Plus, when you turn it off it stops using back emf braking.

Very excited about this!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby BillK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Well I warned my dealer I may not be taking delivery of my 10" Farboy if you announce the 40th DD between now and then and asked them to make sure I wasn't leaving them in an awkward place with the tonearm if that happens.
BillK

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner