VAS Nova or SoundSmith MIMC Zephyr Star?

VAS Nova or SoundSmith MIMC Zephyr Star?

Postby Dorian » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:03 am

Harry

If you had to pick one to go on a Prime, which would it be and why? :D

Thanks!
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Re: VAS Nova or SoundSmith MIMC Zephyr Star?

Postby MMMC » Mon May 01, 2017 3:27 am

Dorian wrote:Harry

If you had to pick one to go on a Prime, which would it be and why? :D

Thanks!

Dorian,

May I suggest reading the complete exchange of posts immediately below yours here, which may provide many of Harry's thoughts on the VAS Nova. Whenever Harry begins to bring "master tape" into his description of a cartridge, it speaks volumes, but you should read all of the information and questions to gain a good perspective. The Zephyr Star is not discussed, but Harry, and other forum members report very favorably on the Nova, plus the fact that Steve seems willing to make the proper version for your systems phono pre, makes the Nova a great value and great performer. Your dollars and mileage may vary, and I do not use a Nova, or Zephyr, therefore I have no skin in the game either way. Getting a custom hand-made cartridge, and under $2,000, that brings a "master tape" reference from Harry, what more could a vinyl enthusiast ask?

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Re: VAS Nova or SoundSmith MIMC Zephyr Star?

Postby Dorian » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I ended up going with the SoundSmith MIMC Star. Got a great trade-in deal at Elusive Disc. Hope to set up the Star this weekend.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Return to Harry's Corner