Harry?? True Mono Cartridge - Modern Day Mono Reissues

Harry?? True Mono Cartridge - Modern Day Mono Reissues

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 pm

I came across the following quote (Bold Italics below) from another forum and my first thought was this is BS....but after thinking about it I thought it could be a good topic for our beloved VPI forum and I am really hoping Harry will chime in on this one...What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by xxx correction below w/ link
The actual reason older stereo records had a notice not to play using a mono pickup was the compliance, not the stylus size or shape - stereo pickups also usually had conical stylii.
Mono records only have lateral modulation and mono pickups only had to be compliant in the horizontal plane, whereas stereo uses both vertical and horizontal modulation so mono pickups caused serious groove wear.
[i]Further to this, a word of warning - DO NOT play modern mono reissues with a true mono cartridge such as the Miyajima which lacks any vertical compliance. This is because most mono reissues are cut on a stereo lathe, and therefore will not have constant groove depth. Using a cartridge with no vertical compliance risks irreparable damage by literally shaving the peaks off the vertical modulations. This why Jonathan Carr only recommends mono cartridges with at least some vertical compliance.
[/i]
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Re: Harry?? True Mono Cartridge - Modern Day Mono Reissues

Postby baddog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:56 pm

I would be interested in other's thoughts on this topic as well, thanks for posting.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby baddog » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:37 am

Actually the comment was from someone other than "f1eng" who I have found to be on target with his posts - one can find the post here by "miniguy":

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?15630-Mono-Cartridges&p=439631&viewfull=1#post439631
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Update

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 pm

Well - after doing more investigation on this subject today, I learned that this very issue has been debated and discussed ad nauseam on other sites such as AudioShark and others...

There are mono cartridges with .7 mil conical and 1 and 1.2 mil conical styli. .7 is kinda universal, 1 and 1.2 mil are for older original mono prior to 1968 I think?
There are mono cartridges made to have some vertical compliance (to address the issue of possible groove damage)
There are mono cartridges with no vertical compliance
There are stereo cartridges wired for mono, also y wiring adapters, mono preamp switches, etc, etc.

Like everything else these days, there is no consensus....About 50% of the people say a "true mono" cartridge will/could damage a reissue mono LP that was cut with a Stereo Cutter head as apparently 99% of them are....When I say "true mono" I mean one with no vertical compliance like my Miyajima ZERO.

There are quite a few folks who have used and continue to use their true mono cartridges on their modern recordings and they report absolutely no ill effects at all...They seem to generally agree that a mono LP played with a mono cartridge sounds vastly superior to one played with a stereo cartridge....I personally talked with a highly respected industry icon today that is very familiar with Mono hardware and he plays with no hesitation his personal collection of modern re-issue and original mono LPs using a true mono cartridge. He said he has never discerned any damage to any of his LPs with this practice.

The other interesting thing I learned is that there may be a wave of new mono reissues coming at some point in the future that are cut with "BRAND NEW" true mono cutter heads..If and when this happens they will be marketed as the "next coming" obliterating all that came before and give us all a chance to buy the same titles yet again....I will protect my source on this but I believe it is going to happen at some point from what I learned today....

Take all this with a grain of salt. I am not going to worry about it and just play my records.... :D

Another tidbit FWIW: Response to my inquiry from Miyajima-Lab

Dear Mr. David,

Hello!
Thank you for the inquiry of the monaural cartridge!

Because MONO LP made with stereo cutterhead is mono signal of the lateral amplitude, you can play reissue MONO LP by ZeroMONO.

Best Regards,
Noriyuki Miyajima
Miyajima Laboratory
4-3-25, chayama, jounan-ku,
fukuoka-city, fukuoka, 814-0111 Japan
[HP]
http://www.miyajima-lab.com/
[E-mail]
edison@miyajima-lab.com

Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 8:48 AM
To: edison@miyajima-lab.com
Subject: [MIYAJIMA-LAB]

Is it safe me to play recent mono reissue LPS such as the Acoustic Sounds "Prestige "Label mono catalog using my Miyajima ZERO?

The LPs are Mono but may have been created using stereo cutter heads.....

Thank You

David
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby baddog » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Interesting, thanks for sharing, what arm do you use with your ZERO?
baddog

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:30 pm

@baddog

I had it mounted on one of my 12" 3DRs with a 3 gram headshell weight on my Classic 4....I am not sure what I am going to use on the new HRX but I talked to Harry about a 12" Fusion as a second arm for the ZERO....If I have room to mount the 2nd arm on my stand alone pod with the new HRX, I could use anything....Would love an Ikeda but I probably won't spend the coin right now...
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Harry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 am

I have been using a Zero for three years with no ill side effects at all. Sometimes the theory is more interesting than the reality, kind of like anti-skate.

A stereo cutter fed a mono signal responds laterally not vertically 99.9% of the time.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby baddog » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks, that is very reassuring, as have a Zero on order now based on HW's recommendation.
baddog

Return to Harry's Corner