Question regarding dual pivot kit

Re: Question regarding dual pivot kit

Postby Brf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm

VinBob wrote:
Mr_Putty wrote:To decrease the pressure on the dual-pivot pin, turn either of the lateral adjustment weights or both to shift the center of mass to the outside of the tone arm. You do not need to adjust the height of the adjustment screw as that would change your azimuth. Once you have the azimuth where you like, do not change it.

Could the same be achieved by adjusting via the counterweight and not the lateral adjustment weights?

Cheers,
Vin.

As above, or use the counter intuitive if you have one. IME, the side azimuth weight adjustment provides the most precise adjustment.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby miner » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:50 am

Pevo wrote:I just checked the Elusive Disc website and it says $149.99, so no change. If you are referring to BillStevensons's $135 price I think he was referring to the fact he thought it was $15 worth of parts, so the $135 was the perceived improvement markup. Odd logic, but I can follow it. I've never seen the part in person, but from the picture and the limited quantities we're talking here I think it costs more than $15 to make them. They are made in the USA, after all, not China.

I would gladly pay more for USA-manufactured goods vs China goods.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

Postby VinBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:
Mr_Putty wrote:To decrease the pressure on the dual-pivot pin, turn either of the lateral adjustment weights or both to shift the center of mass to the outside of the tone arm. You do not need to adjust the height of the adjustment screw as that would change your azimuth. Once you have the azimuth where you like, do not change it.

Could the same be achieved by adjusting via the counterweight and not the lateral adjustment weights?

Cheers,
Vin.

As above, or use the counter intuitive if you have one. IME, the side azimuth weight adjustment provides the most precise adjustment.

Thanks Brf. I would rather use the counter intuitive as I do have one and for me personally, I think it would be easier to work with than the side weights...but I will look into the side weights too as an alternative. Just need to get my Lyra Delos back from Japan to be able to play with all this fun stuff which is now two months and counting... :(
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby jonathanb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Using the side weights rather than the Counter-Intuitive has the advantage of not risking messing with tracking force.
jonathanb

Postby VinBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 pm

jonathanb wrote:Using the side weights rather than the Counter-Intuitive has the advantage of not risking messing with tracking force.

Thanks - I don't think my VTF should be affected as the counterweight is on nice and tight and I support it by hand when I am making those fine adjustments with the CI. But, I will also look into the side weights and appreciate the recommendation. ;)
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby suntea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm

I did this yesterday and using the side weights is much better. Moving the CI, even with a steady hand, can change the VTF. Remember we are measuring tenths, or even hundredths, of a gram. It does not take much to change VTF. There is no good reason to risk it when the side weights will not change VTF at all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Postby VinBob » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 pm

suntea wrote:I did this yesterday and using the side weights is much better. Moving the CI, even with a steady hand, can change the VTF. Remember we are measuring tenths, or even hundredths, of a gram. It does not take much to change VTF. There is no good reason to risk it when the side weights will not change VTF at all.

OK - I am sold! :) - Just need to get my cartridge back and will play... thanks guys 'n' gals...

Cheers,
Vin.
VinBob

Postby miner » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am

As Harry politely reminded me, with the dual pivot, the SS CI is not needed.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

Postby Brf » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

miner wrote:As Harry politely reminded me, with the dual pivot, the SS CI is not needed.

Some of the older VPI tonearms have fixed non-adjustable side azimuth weights, therefore, some user may choose to use a SS CI to pre-load their dual pivot as oppose to using the main counter weight.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Wed May 09, 2018 3:09 pm

miner wrote:As Harry politely reminded me, with the dual pivot, the SS CI is not needed.

It is for Vertical Tracking Force (VTF)!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner