Question regarding dual pivot kit

Re: Question regarding dual pivot kit

Postby suntea » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 am

Brf wrote:
bryanjan wrote:Seems a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer from this thread.

I want to know whether the dual pivot should be adjusted touching the plate or not while the stylus is in the groove.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

First, you never make an adjustment to the dual pivot while the stylus is in the groove. Too high of chance of damaging your stylus. All dual pivot adjustments should be made with the arm secured in its rest. When the stylus is in the groove i.e playing a record, the dual pivot should be contacting the skate plate at all times.

Brf, Just read this thread and was wondering what your impressions of the Dual Pivot Kit are? Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:17 pm

suntea wrote:
Brf wrote:
bryanjan wrote:Seems a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer from this thread.

I want to know whether the dual pivot should be adjusted touching the plate or not while the stylus is in the groove.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

First, you never make an adjustment to the dual pivot while the stylus is in the groove. Too high of chance of damaging your stylus. All dual pivot adjustments should be made with the arm secured in its rest. When the stylus is in the groove i.e playing a record, the dual pivot should be contacting the skate plate at all times.

Brf, Just read this thread and was wondering what your impressions of the Dual Pivot Kit are? Thanks.

IMHO, a must have...better performance and better sonics. If I were VPI, I would make this a standard offering and not an option for all future uni-pivots
Brf
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 pm

I just installed the Dual Pivot kit on my Classic 3 today. Very nice addition so far. I really like the stability when the tonearm is rested on the LP. Sometimes my needle used to 'jump' into the first grooves (unless using the outer ring). Now it is totally steady. I also like how this is used to set azimuth. Everything sounding great also. I recommend this upgrade.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Postby leftside » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Also ordered one. Thanks for all who have posted in this thread.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby Ellingtonic » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm

This was pretty easy to install. I've played with the set screw a little more to get azimuth correct than anything else.

Bass is a little clearer and transient detail may be slightly smeared as others have reported. I'm still trying to get used to the lack of tonearm jitter after years of VPI unipivots. Cuing up the cartridge to verify alignment using my Mint/Best Protractor was a joy compared to having to wait 30 seconds for the tonearm to stop moving before dropping the needle.
Ellingtonic

Postby Brf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 am

Ellingtonic wrote:This was pretty easy to install. I've played with the set screw a little more to get azimuth correct than anything else.

Bass is a little clearer and transient detail may be slightly smeared as others have reported. I'm still trying to get used to the lack of tonearm jitter after years of VPI unipivots. Cuing up the cartridge to verify alignment using my Mint/Best Protractor was a joy compared to having to wait 30 seconds for the tonearm to stop moving before dropping the needle.

Interesting observation. In my setup, using the dual pivot has increased transient detail, especially in the leading edge of the attack. As to a possible explanation, try backing off some of the pressure on the dual pivot because IME, too much pressure on the dual pivot causes a smearing of inner detail.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:50 am

Brf wrote:
Ellingtonic wrote:This was pretty easy to install. I've played with the set screw a little more to get azimuth correct than anything else.

Interesting observation. In my setup, using the dual pivot has increased transient detail, especially in the leading edge of the attack. As to a possible explanation, try backing off some of the pressure on the dual pivot because IME, too much pressure on the dual pivot causes a smearing of inner detail.

What is the best way to do this? Would this also require turning the Dual Pivot height screw? Thanks.
suntea

Postby Mr_Putty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:08 pm

To decrease the pressure on the dual-pivot pin, turn either of the lateral adjustment weights or both to shift the center of mass to the outside of the tone arm. You do not need to adjust the height of the adjustment screw as that would change your azimuth. Once you have the azimuth where you like, do not change it.
Mr_Putty

Postby VinBob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:To decrease the pressure on the dual-pivot pin, turn either of the lateral adjustment weights or both to shift the center of mass to the outside of the tone arm. You do not need to adjust the height of the adjustment screw as that would change your azimuth. Once you have the azimuth where you like, do not change it.

Could the same be achieved by adjusting via the counterweight and not the lateral adjustment weights?

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | VAS Nova Special 0.4mV | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Sutherland 20/20 | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | Focal 826W Chorus V LE | SVS SB-1000 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby jonathanb » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:31 pm

VinBob wrote:
Mr_Putty wrote:To decrease the pressure on the dual-pivot pin, turn either of the lateral adjustment weights or both to shift the center of mass to the outside of the tone arm. You do not need to adjust the height of the adjustment screw as that would change your azimuth. Once you have the azimuth where you like, do not change it.

Could the same be achieved by adjusting via the counterweight and not the lateral adjustment weights?

Cheers,
Vin.

Yes, but you're likely to affect tracking force while doing so.
jonathanb

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner