Question regarding dual pivot kit

Question regarding dual pivot kit

Postby 930turbo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi Harry , fellow members ,

Im wondering if the the second pivot will not affect the unrestrained dynamics & smoothness of the mids of our JMW arm? I Im not bother at all by the wobbly character of the unipivot , I got used to it after 2 + years of using it. Im reluctant to get the second pivot because the 2 characteristics of the unipivot that I liked might be lessened due to the second pivot . But the price of the upgrade is hard to resist. I hope you guys who already made this upgrade post a review .

Best regards ,

Last edited by 930turbo on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Re: Question regarding dual pivot kit

Postby Brf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:31 pm

I hope to have one installed next week. I will report my findings.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 930turbo » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks (997C4S) Brf ,

Will eagerly await your review .

Best regards,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby muel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Brf wrote:I hope to have one installed next week. I will report my findings.

I thought you weren't going to go for this "upgrade."
Jolida JD1000P
Prime #391
BAT VK51SE Preamp
EAR 834P
Unison Research Unico CD
JM Lab ALCOR
Phoenix Eagle PSU/RR tach
Nakamachi 581z
Magnum Dynalab FT101
Symposium Ultra shelf & Rollerballs
Lyra Delos & Ortofon Quintet Mono
Purist Audio MIT
muel

Postby JimTimP » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Well, if the wobble is excessive, you may need to find another solution...

I did mount mine because of the wobble. The wobble was induced into the arm while walking across the floor. It would soon dampen out after I sat down, but if I got up for a refill (or some other reason), the wobble was back. Took about 30 - 45 seconds to stop. So not a major issue.

But for the most part, the wobble was inaudible.

Added the 2nd pivot and loaded it according to the directions, and that wobble turned into a tap-tap-tap. And it was audible through the speakers. Loudly.

It came back off. I'm looking at a way to secure the top of my rack to the wall to dampen out the footfall induced wobble. But that 2nd pivot isn't doing it...
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 pm

muel wrote:

The imbalance of the uni-pivot does not bother me but I am intrigued by the performance gain potential. From strictly an engineering standpoint, there are benefits to the design.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:23 pm

JimTimP wrote:Well, if the wobble is excessive, you may need to find another solution...

I did mount mine because of the wobble. The wobble was induced into the arm while walking across the floor. It would soon dampen out after I sat down, but if I got up for a refill (or some other reason), the wobble was back. Took about 30 - 45 seconds to stop. So not a major issue.

But for the most part, the wobble was inaudible.

Added the 2nd pivot and loaded it according to the directions, and that wobble turned into a tap-tap-tap. And it was audible through the speakers. Loudly.

It came back off. I'm looking at a way to secure the top of my rack to the wall to dampen out the footfall induced wobble. But that 2nd pivot isn't doing it...

JimTimP, your issue is with isolating your table from foot falls and outside induced energy from exciting your table and tonearm. The dual pivot is not designed for that function.

Mounting your table on a load bearing wall will help mitigate your isolation problem. Good luck.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimTimP » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:12 pm

I understood the 2nd pivot was to reduce the wobble and subsequent azimuth change of the stylus. In my case that wobble is induced by footfalls.

Am I incorrect as to the purpose of the 2nd pivot?
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:03 pm

JimTimP wrote:I understood the 2nd pivot was to reduce the wobble and subsequent azimuth change of the stylus. In my case that wobble is induced by footfalls.

Am I incorrect as to the purpose of the 2nd pivot?

The dual pivot is designed to ground the tonearm on a single plane against micro vibration caused by increased groove modulation, thus resulting is deeper and more defined bass. if viewed under a high powered microscope in slow motion, a deep bass groove modulation pushes against the stylus which transfers the energy to the cartridge coils. If the transfer of energy is absorbed through the arm through a micro rocking of the tonearm, the transfer of energy from the stylus is compromised. The dual pivot provides a stable balance on a single plan to ensure an uncompromised transfer of energy from the stylus directly to the coils.

Energy caused by foot fall if not absorbed by the turntable platform or the plinth will over load the dual pivot and could cause the chatter sound in which you experienced. I hope this helps.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby muel » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:07 am

Brf wrote:
muel wrote:

The imbalance of the uni-pivot does not bother me but I am intrigued by the performance gain potential. From strictly an engineering standpoint, there are benefits to the design.

Very well then, I too will eagerly await your review!
Jolida JD1000P
Prime #391
BAT VK51SE Preamp
EAR 834P
Unison Research Unico CD
JM Lab ALCOR
Phoenix Eagle PSU/RR tach
Nakamachi 581z
Magnum Dynalab FT101
Symposium Ultra shelf & Rollerballs
Lyra Delos & Ortofon Quintet Mono
Purist Audio MIT