Question regarding dual pivot kit

Re: Question regarding dual pivot kit

Postby Marc » Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 am

fsonicsmith wrote:I saw in another thread somewhere that someone was complaining about the rough finish on the clamp and lack of the referred-to-"enclosed" allen wrench from Elusive Disc. Well, I just opened my box from Elusive Disc and samr friggin thing. No enclosed allen wrench. Very annoying. I imagine it's the same tiny allen that comes with VPI tables and arms and I should have one somewhere but it's not cool.

I am sorry to hear that you did not receive the allen wrench in the package. There is one that is supposed to be included and it was missed in a small batch. Please reach out to me or Elusive Disc if you are in the need for one and I can gladly help you out.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby Bill Stevenson » Mon May 22, 2017 4:38 pm

fsonicsmith wrote:
Not bad. But after seeing the two items in the bag you gotta scratch your head at the price. At $50 I would feel I over-paid. I love VPI but it is perplexing that they produce and sell incredibly good sounding, good looking, and well-made tables for such low prices and yet many of the accessories and spare parts (i.e. spare tonearms) are so high-priced. I fully expect to hear something about small quantities and economies of scale but again, I ain't buying that explanation. I know quite a bit about the bicycle business and I suspect this is no different. Complete bicycles get marked up by 10% and individual components by 50-100%. It's a business model that in the bicycle biz barely allows good brick and mortar shops to keep the doors open. VPI on the other hand is a manufacturer and I believe the vast majority of their products are purchased over the 'net from large outfits that have little overhead. So let me get back on point-this little CNC machined piece of steel and little adhesive sticker cost no more than $15 to produce. I sure hope I get $135 worth of sound improvement. I suppose too that for those that really enjoy three hours of figeting with mnor adjustments to re-dial in the sound, those folks are willingly/knowingly paying for that opportunity. I apologize for the curmudgeonly rant. I share much with Harry in terms of age, background, and personality :-)[/quote]

This rant of yours is understandable for anyone unfamiliar with the manufacturing business. Brick and mortar retail is a totally nuther kettle of fish. The price of anything a manufacturer offers must reflect the cost for research and development, design, tooling, inventorying, forecasting, promotion, distribution, dealer discounts, and so forth. These are considerable expenses and if they can't be absorbed at a profit, it makes no sense to bother. How many of these kits will be sold? A few thousand perhaps, over the course of time? So although your points are well taken, you are only looking at a few pieces of metal, not at all that went into figuring out how to achieve the end result you see. Then too, there is the matter of the net gain that the kit provides. As i opined in a previous post, the dual pivot kit easily adds as much or more sound improvement as compared a combination of other tweaks that cost a lot more. If you think of it as buying the manufacturer's know how to improve your turntable's performance, something all the rest of us could not achieve at any price, collectively or separately, then this kit is a veritable bargain.
Bill Stevenson

Postby Cat5plus » Mon May 22, 2017 5:15 pm

I couldn't agree with you more Bill. Personally I am blown away with the price I paid for my Classic 3D and would much rather save on the initial purchase. I can't find any other turntable even at twice the price of the Classic 3D that I would rather own. One hundred thirty five dollars for an upgrade that performs as well as the dual pivot does, is in fact a very reasonable price that I was gladly willing to pay. Thanks Harry!
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby bryanjan » Mon May 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Seems a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer from this thread.

I want to know whether the dual pivot should be adjusted touching the plate or not while the stylus is in the groove.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan
bryanjan

Postby Brf » Tue May 30, 2017 7:57 am

bryanjan wrote:Seems a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer from this thread.

I want to know whether the dual pivot should be adjusted touching the plate or not while the stylus is in the groove.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

First, you never make an adjustment to the dual pivot while the stylus is in the groove. Too high of chance of damaging your stylus. All dual pivot adjustments should be made with the arm secured in its rest. When the stylus is in the groove i.e playing a record, the dual pivot should be contacting the skate plate at all times.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Tue May 30, 2017 9:35 am

Cat5plus wrote:I couldn't agree with you more Bill. Personally I am blown away with the price I paid for my Classic 3D and would much rather save on the initial purchase. I can't find any other turntable even at twice the price of the Classic 3D that I would rather own. One hundred thirty five dollars for an upgrade that performs as well as the dual pivot does, is in fact a very reasonable price that I was gladly willing to pay. Thanks Harry!

Has the Dual Pivot dropped in price? I thought it was $150...?!

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Pevo » Tue May 30, 2017 3:08 pm

I just checked the Elusive Disc website and it says $149.99, so no change. If you are referring to BillStevensons's $135 price I think he was referring to the fact he thought it was $15 worth of parts, so the $135 was the perceived improvement markup. Odd logic, but I can follow it. I've never seen the part in person, but from the picture and the limited quantities we're talking here I think it costs more than $15 to make them. They are made in the USA, after all, not China.
Pevo

Postby VinBob » Tue May 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Pevo wrote:I just checked the Elusive Disc website and it says $149.99, so no change. If you are referring to BillStevensons's $135 price I think he was referring to the fact he thought it was $15 worth of parts, so the $135 was the perceived improvement markup. Odd logic, but I can follow it. I've never seen the part in person, but from the picture and the limited quantities we're talking here I think it costs more than $15 to make them. They are made in the USA, after all, not China.

Ahhhh... thanks for the clarification! ;)

I am still on the fence with this modification - the pricing is not terrible but I don't want to introduce any more variables into my system until I reconfigure my table again and have been able to hopefully eliminate a left channel hum I am experiencing which is covered on another thread and won't bore anyone with here! :D

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby bryanjan » Tue May 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Brf wrote:
bryanjan wrote:Seems a stupid question but I can't find a clear answer from this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

First, you never make an adjustment to the dual pivot while the stylus is in the groove. Too high of chance of damaging your stylus. All dual pivot adjustments should be made with the arm secured in its rest. When the stylus is in the groove i.e playing a record, the dual pivot should be contacting the skate plate at all times.

Thanks Brf, of course I will not adjust the dual pivot when playing the record. Very clear now, the dual pivot should be contacting the skate plate at all times.

Bryan
bryanjan

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner