feedback

Re: feedback

Postby miner » Mon May 08, 2017 6:01 pm

I would lower the bearing cup to 1/8" gap. I lowered mine AFTER moving the Sw and speakers away from my component stand. Working in conjunction with each other, my 'droning' noise has left the building except at very high volume; not normal listening levels, very "Abbie Normal" levels.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby Dorian » Mon May 08, 2017 6:06 pm

miner wrote:I would lower the bearing cup to 1/8" gap. I lowered mine AFTER moving the Sw and speakers away from my component stand. Working in conjunction with each other, my 'droning' noise has left the building except at very high volume; not normal listening levels, very "Abbie Normal" levels.

Thanks Miner. Did you find that you needed to adjust cartridge overhang, zenith or azimuth? I am loathe to make this adjustment if I have to redo those.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Mon May 08, 2017 11:10 pm

I just measured, my gap is 1/4". I see a small rubber cap on top of the bearing cup, is the screw under that? I just pop that cap off?
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby kalaur » Tue May 09, 2017 12:10 am

Dorian wrote:I just measured, my gap is 1/4". I see a small rubber cap on top of the bearing cup, is the screw under that? I just pop that cap off?

Yeah, the small cap on the top should come right out, exposing the hex screw in the tonearm.

Anytime you adjust VTA, its best to check your alignment. VTA adjustment will generally change the overhang, but its usually pretty small.
kalaur

Postby Dorian » Tue May 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks, guess I will have to address this.
Dorian

Postby miner » Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 pm

Yes, I rechecked all parameters and only made very slight changes - mainly VTF, after adjusting my bearing cup. Still need to tackle SRA but awaiting an USB microscope before preceding forth.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby miner » Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 am

My feedback has returned, albeit, at a higher volume - - a bit higher than the 45w on my MC452 meters. I am now scratching so hard my head is bleeding. On my C2300 preamp the volume reading is 72%.
miner

Postby miner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 pm

Update: I removed the spikes under my platform that was on ISOb locks. To the top of the ISOblocks I added some Herbie's grungebuster material and put platform directly on the blocks with grungebuster between platform and blocks. For a test I played Peter Gabriel's So LP - this one is loaded with bass. The volume got as loud as my monitors could handle with no feedback. I also reinserted my KAB RF-1 rumble filter between my Chinook phono stage and McIntosh C2300 preamp. I can now enjoy my music rumble and feedback free. Harry W was very beneficial on my ability to solve this.
miner

Postby miner » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Dorian, your opinion of the Symposium inserts please.
miner

Postby baddog » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 pm

10ovr wrote:
miner wrote:When I bought the table from a VPI dealer (2 yo this weekend) they set it up for me prior to shipping. I would assume the bearing cup would have been at the correct height to begin with. Harry has responded and has mirrored the answers here - space should be no more than 3/8" but I am gunning for 1/8". I will do adjustment this weekend. I had just made a new platform for my Sw in hopes that would help with low freq isolation.

1) adjust bearing cup so spacing is 1/8" from arm base.

2) adjust the VTA to get arm close to parallel with platter.

3) check VTF and azimuth settings

4) micro-adjust VTA for correct sound

I have three 3D tonearms and all 3 the bearing cups were different heights ,,You would think they would have a spec to set them at,,,,,,,

So I got a second tone arm for my mono cartridge. I was surprised to find that the cueing lever did not work with the new arm, it never made contact. Well I remembered a discussion on adjusting the bearing cup, and sure enough, it was set on the high side, lowering it resolved the issue, so thanks everyone, these threads are invaluable.

Hardest part was finding the thread with instructions on how to adjust the height and locating the correct allen wrench and direction to turn.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner