feedback

Re: feedback

Postby miner » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:48 pm

When I bought the table from a VPI dealer (2 yo this weekend) they set it up for me prior to shipping. I would assume the bearing cup would have been at the correct height to begin with. Harry has responded and has mirrored the answers here - space should be no more than 3/8" but I am gunning for 1/8". I will do adjustment this weekend. I had just made a new platform for my Sw in hopes that would help with low freq isolation.

1) adjust bearing cup so spacing is 1/8" from arm base.

2) adjust the VTA to get arm close to parallel with platter.

3) check VTF and azimuth settings

4) micro-adjust VTA for correct sound
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby Gary1955 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Miner, when you bought your table did it come with the Classic Platter or did you add that later? Don't kill yourself to get 1/8 inch gap, as long as it's within the range specified you will be fine.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby miner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:18 pm

My Aries 3x3 came with the Classic Platter.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby 10ovr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm

miner wrote:When I bought the table from a VPI dealer (2 yo this weekend) they set it up for me prior to shipping. I would assume the bearing cup would have been at the correct height to begin with. Harry has responded and has mirrored the answers here - space should be no more than 3/8" but I am gunning for 1/8". I will do adjustment this weekend. I had just made a new platform for my Sw in hopes that would help with low freq isolation.

I have three 3D tonearms and all 3 the bearing cups were different heights ,,You would think they would have a spec to set them at,,,,,,,
10ovr

Postby Johnny » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:53 pm

miner wrote:When I bought the table from a VPI dealer (2 yo this weekend) they set it up for me prior to shipping. I would assume the bearing cup would have been at the correct height to begin with. Harry has responded and has mirrored the answers here - space should be no more than 3/8" but I am gunning for 1/8". I will do adjustment this weekend. I had just made a new platform for my Sw in hopes that would help with low freq isolation.

Did this cure your feedback problem????
Johnny

Postby miner » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Have not given it the full monte testing - just a quick test after realigning cartridge - still need to fine tune the VTA. Initial test seemed positive.
miner

Postby Harry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 am

The problem is the 3D arms are going on tables made over the last 20 years so the height is pretty much user adjustable for each individual table to get it right.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby miner » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:39 pm

Thank you Harry for participating in this post. It is a surprise to me that dealers who set up tables for their clients are not versed in the correct distance between base of bearing cup and top of arm frame. All of this guessing and speculation could be avoided by one simple set up step. I am almost 90% convinced this was my issue all along.
miner

Postby Gary1955 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Miner, I'm glad to hear that it worked. Hopefully it solved the issue when you move the sub back to the original position near the table. The proper gap distance should be included in VPI's setup manual for tonearm installation especially if someone is going to a taller platter. That would have saved me from 3 or 4 months of dealing with this in trying to figure out what was wrong before I stumbled on a cure.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby Dorian » Mon May 08, 2017 2:26 pm

I have just recently started experiencing what I think may be this same problem. Only with certain records and only once I crank the volume up pretty high, do I start to experience what I would describe as a lower frequency droning sound. It goes away if I turn the volume down. It's a new sound that I have not heard before. Definitely not any form of a 'hum'; I would describe as a 'drone'. I've so far heard it on the new pressing of Elton John's Madman Across the Water, which is a very warm sounding mix, and also a 1989 Vertigo pressing of Metallica's Master of Puppets, a great pressing which is particularly dynamic (and I definitely had it cranked up!).

Pic of my bearing cup is below, do people think this is the same issue?

Thanks.

IMG_7115.JPG
IMG_7115.JPG (484.12 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner