feedback

feedback

Postby miner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 am

Attached is a picture of my setup. I have an Aries 3D on a 2.5" platform and then the platform is on some isolation blocks. Whenever I turn my volume past 55 on the preamp (McIntosh C2300 pre, MC452 amp) I get a hum/feedback through my speakers. Only happens with table, and not the SACD player. Harry, I know you have said you have large subwoofers near your setup at the house and they do not affect your table dynamics. Any thoughts on how I can eliminate this feedback? Full disclosure, I do have a KAB rumble filter installed inline between the pre and amp.
Attachments
CHILLIN.jpg
Speakers are Sonus faber Cremona M Auditors; sub system is a REL B1
CHILLIN.jpg (69.23 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Re: feedback

Postby wolfyboy359 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 am

Scout Jr. / Ortofon 2M Black > Sutherland Ph3D > Marantz PM-14S1 Integrated > Martin Logan Motion 60XT's // Audioquest MacKenzie Interconnects, Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cables, Ortofon Phono Cable // Cambridge Audio CXU // Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone
wolfyboy359

Postby tom collins » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:02 pm

i really hate suggesting this, but take out the kab. i bought one when i had a small room and sub woofer pumping. it worked for the pumping but added some noise. i just moved into a larger room and took out the kab, no hum now. would like to know what you find if you try it.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Harry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Seriously, I have a Prime Signature in the JBL Everest room (4- 15" woofers) and we play the drum solo on the 45 RPM Charley Bird Crystal Clear recording at live listening levels with no feedback at any threshold we an tolerate. That room has a Mac C-50 (tone controls bypassed) and a Mac 303 running in two channel so there is upwards of 400 watts available on a speaker that will make you bleed with 100 watts. The Prime is sitting on a 4" thick MDF base sitting on cork/rubber isolators. We have been using the Ortofon Quntet Blue and Bronze and a special version of the Grado Gold so it is working with MC and MM cartridges.

May I recommend that you get 4 ashtrays and 4 racquetballs, put the balls in the ashtrays and replace the feet beneath your shelf with the combo of ball and ashtray. That should solve the problem for $10.00. Let us know how you make out.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby miner » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you for all of the replies. I will try removing the KAB rumble filter and will try Harry's suggestion of racquetballs. How to prevent my $10K table/cartridge from rolling away on balls?
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Postby DrumTemp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:45 pm

How to prevent my $10K table/cartridge from rolling away on balls?

The ash trays that Harry recommends are for holding the balls in place. Though, if you live in California, ash trays may be hard to find, or heavily taxed! :roll:
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby Waxxy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:22 pm

miner wrote:Thank you for all of the replies. I will try removing the KAB rumble filter and will try Harry's suggestion of racquetballs. How to prevent my $10K table/cartridge from rolling away on balls?

Actually I would suggest squash balls over racket balls....they have less bounce, meaning they dissipate more energy. Another option would be norsorex balls (google it) otherwise known as 'unhappy balls' because they don't bounce at all, effectively dissipating most of the energy that tries to pass through them.

In either case, the weight of the rig will compress the balls and they won't roll anywhere, no need for ash-trays or any other type of dish at all.

I use norsorex balls under the platform that my Aries sits on and find them very effective. Cheap too.
Waxxy

Postby elader » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

Waxxy wrote:
miner wrote:Thank you for all of the replies. I will try removing the KAB rumble filter and will try Harry's suggestion of racquetballs. How to prevent my $10K table/cartridge from rolling away on balls?

Actually I would suggest squash balls over racket balls....they have less bounce, meaning they dissipate more energy. Another option would be norsorex balls (google it) otherwise known as 'unhappy balls' because they don't bounce at all, effectively dissipating most of the energy that tries to pass through them.

In either case, the weight of the rig will compress the balls and they won't roll anywhere, no need for ash-trays or any other type of dish at all.

I use norsorex balls under the platform that my Aries sits on and find them very effective. Cheap too.

are you talking about English squash balls or American? Squishy or hard as a rock?
VPI Prime with Benz Micro Glider SL, Phoenix Roadrunner, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp, Primaluna Prologue Five Amplifier
REGA Apollo CD player, KEF R300 speakers, SVS SB12 subwoofer
Macbook pro, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
elader

Postby Waxxy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 am

elader wrote:
Waxxy wrote:

are you talking about English squash balls or American? Squishy or hard as a rock?

Squishy...but I've never played squash in England. ;)
Waxxy

Postby Brf » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:02 pm

elader wrote:
Waxxy wrote:

I am an active squash player and hardball is almost extinct in both North America and abroad. If using squash balls as isolation devices, choose the competition double yellow dot balls as they dissipate more energy.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner