TONE ARM VTA

Re: TONE ARM VTA

Postby Stringreen » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:32 am

VPI should inscribe a white horizontal line on the 3D like the SME V has on their tonearm to get an easy horizontal reference. ....after which you should adjust by ear.
Stringreen

Postby Stringreen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 am

In my experience, any cartridge I've used sounds best at the reocommended (by the factory) VTF. At this force, the suspension, cartridge geometry, et al are at their engineered perfection. When changing the height to listen for preferred sound, I always return the downward force to the recommended spec.
Stringreen

Postby thegage » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:49 am

Stringreen wrote:VPI should inscribe a white horizontal line on the 3D like the SME V has on their tonearm to get an easy horizontal reference. ....after which you should adjust by ear.

In my experience this would have led to a very incorrect starting point. The headshell of my 3D arm is not exactly straight (according to Harry not that uncommon), which means that even when the tonearm was parallel to the platter the cartridge wasn't.

Instead, I always use the mounting surface of the cartridge body as my reference.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Stringreen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 pm

thegage....much too small an area to horizontal judgement....that's why I suggested a horizontal SME V-like printed line on the arm itself.
Stringreen

Postby thegage » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

My point was that in my case it wouldn't have mattered how long the line was, as making it parallel would give a wrong result. I use one of the Millennium acrylic blocks for setting up my cartridges.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:40 pm

+1 for Millennium acrylic block.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Harry wrote:I have used the Keseki PH for over a year in the house and at two shows, the back needs to be up slightly to track correctly. The arm should be up roughly 1/8" to 1/4" in the back depending on the sound you like but definitely up in the back.

The angle of the stylus mounted to the cantilever dictates where you set the arm height, not the cartridge body, raise the back and enjoy the added smoothness and detail.

HW

I ran into a YouTube video of an audio retailer playing a record with a Kiseki Purpleheart cartridge and they had the back raised up noticeably and then I remembered that you told me to do the same thing. I'm listening now and I can't believe the improvement I'm hearing. Sounds like I bought a new cartridge. Now I can die in peace. Thanks.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby miner » Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Please, don't die just yet.....
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1 sub-bass system
miner

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner