prime isolation

Re: prime isolation

Postby Mat » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 am

Side note, it turns out an upgrade we were working on for the Avenger happens to fit on the Prime as well. It was initially planned but when working towards consistency and like parts more components work with each other :) More on that potential upgrade in January.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby elader » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:50 am

Mat wrote:Side note, it turns out an upgrade we were working on for the Avenger happens to fit on the Prime as well. It was initially planned but when working towards consistency and like parts more components work with each other :) More on that potential upgrade in January.

You are such a tease
VPI Prime with Benz Micro Glider SL, Phoenix Roadrunner, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp, Primaluna Prologue Five Amplifier
REGA Apollo CD player, KEF R300 speakers, SVS SB12 subwoofer
Macbook pro, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
elader

Postby Packgrog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:55 pm

While my gear has all been low mass, I've actually had excellent results with Herbie's Audio products for vibration control. The MedicinBalls were a nice improvement over the racquetballs that came with a Gingko platform that I used briefly, tightening up low end and removing a sort of vague, hazy bass cloud. I eventually switched to a grungebuster/baltic birch ply stack that wound up outperforming anything else that I'd tried, including a Mapleshade platform and the Gingko platform (the Gingko with MedicinBalls really was great, but seemed better suited to higher mass decks like VPIs than my 12lb TecnoDec). Pretty much every recommendation that I've gotten from Steve has resulted in an improvement for me, despite my occasional skepticism.

Ultimately, I say ditch the squash balls and ask Steve for some recommendations on platform supports for your deck. And if you're hellbent on ditching those Prime feet, I'll gladly take donations. ;)
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby Darkstar1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:30 am

I love the modded air bladder feet. I would love to be able to buy a set because I don't have the time nor ability to do what the member has shown above.

Anyway my Prime is also on a 3" maple platform. Any user ever think or consider cutting a place out of the maple platform so the motor and the table would not technically be on the same cutting block. It seems that this would lower noise.

Any thoughts??
Darkstar1

Postby Harry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:12 pm

You don't have to mod the McMaster feet, you can just put them under your shelf, they look a bit industrial but boy do they work. These are the bladders we use in the Vanquish DD but we spend more money installing them into nice feet than the bladders cost initially, by a factor of 3!!!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby clarets » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:05 pm

Mat wrote:Side note, it turns out an upgrade we were working on for the Avenger happens to fit on the Prime as well. It was initially planned but when working towards consistency and like parts more components work with each other :) More on that potential upgrade in January.

Hi Mat,
Any news of the upgrade? Any chance that it can be applied to the Scout?
clarets

Postby Harry » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

My listening tests always wind up loving a heavy platform below the table and then locking the table to the platform using feet like the Prime has. As long as you have enough isolation beneath the platform to isolate from the outside world (and that is system and house dependent) you will be doing the right thing.

I love the McMaster Carr air bladders beneath a platform and the table sitting on the platform, to me that really sounds the best.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby jonathanb » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Harry wrote:I love the McMaster Carr air bladders beneath a platform and the table sitting on the platform, to me that really sounds the best.

HW

Which of the McMaster bladders is the one you prefer?
jonathanb

Postby 10ovr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:38 am

jonathanb wrote:
Harry wrote:I love the McMaster Carr air bladders beneath a platform and the table sitting on the platform, to me that really sounds the best.

HW

Which of the McMaster bladders is the one you prefer?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/1439/=16g6qyp Type in 62075K31 in the search
10ovr

Postby MOON » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Mat,
Can you post a picture of the avenger upgrade that will fit the Prime also.
Thanks
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner