prime isolation

prime isolation

Postby elader » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:47 pm

hey Harry.

so when u was running the scout II with classic feet it really seemed that the feet did an excellent job at isolating the table from the mapke support. the primes feet couples the tabke tightly to the maple platform. Ive got the block sitting on racquetballs. does it make any sense ti put sorbothane under the tables feet? does that just defeat thge purpose of the feet?
VPI Prime with Benz Micro Glider SL, Phoenix Roadrunner, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp, Primaluna Prologue Five Amplifier
REGA Apollo CD player, KEF R300 speakers, SVS SB12 subwoofer
Macbook pro, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
elader

Re: prime isolation

Postby Jinohio » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:03 pm

I had sorbothane discs under my Prime when I first got it but found that it sounded and performed better without the sorbothane.
Jinohio

Postby Brf » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:25 pm

elader wrote:hey Harry.

so when u was running the scout II with classic feet it really seemed that the feet did an excellent job at isolating the table from the mapke support. the primes feet couples the tabke tightly to the maple platform. Ive got the block sitting on racquetballs. does it make any sense ti put sorbothane under the tables feet? does that just defeat thge purpose of the feet?

Sorry, you are correct, it does not make sense. The Prime's cones couples the table to the platform. By placing sorborthane under the cones, you are uncoupling the table from the platform.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby elader » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 am

Brf wrote:
Sorry, you are correct, it does not make sense. The Prime's cones couples the table to the platform. By placing sorborthane under the cones, you are uncoupling the table from the platform.

I am kind of surprised at how well a rap on the maple transmits through the cartridge, but I guess 'tight'y coupled' will do that.

the racquetballs under the maple block are ok to insulate the whole mess from the rack right or should the maple block be firmly anchored to the stout metal rack?
VPI Prime with Benz Micro Glider SL, Phoenix Roadrunner, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp, Primaluna Prologue Five Amplifier
REGA Apollo CD player, KEF R300 speakers, SVS SB12 subwoofer
Macbook pro, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
elader

Postby thegage » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:45 am

elader wrote:I am kind of surprised at how well a rap on the maple transmits through the cartridge

I have yet to find a good isolation system that doesn't transmit a "rap" to the cartridge, which is why I don't find the rap test a very good indicator of performance.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby audiom3 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:25 pm

It is my understanding that the maple platform is supposed to absorb the energy from the TT. The isolation should be the platform/TT combo (isolation occurring below the maple platform).
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL
audiom3

Postby 10ovr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:51 pm

thegage wrote:
elader wrote:I am kind of surprised at how well a rap on the maple transmits through the cartridge

I have yet to find a good isolation system that doesn't transmit a "rap" to the cartridge, which is why I don't find the rap test a very good indicator of performance.

John K.
Im using McMaster inflatable vibration damping mounts in some wood cases under my TT maple and it makes one hell of a difference ,Wider sound stage ,You can tap the hell out of the lower rack and get nothing through the speakers Image
10ovr

Postby thegage » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:44 pm

10ovr wrote:I'm using McMaster inflatable vibration damping mounts in some wood cases under my TT maple and it makes one hell of a difference ,Wider sound stage ,You can tap the hell out of the lower rack and get nothing through the speakers

No doubt, but if you tap the upper platform you will hear the noise through the speakers, and that upper platform is still exposed to air-borne vibrations. Any reason why you don't eliminate the VPI feet and use the McMaster mounts in their place?
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby audiom3 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:59 pm

thegage wrote:
10ovr wrote:I'm using McMaster inflatable vibration damping mounts in some wood cases under my TT maple and it makes one hell of a difference ,Wider sound stage ,You can tap the hell out of the lower rack and get nothing through the speakers

No doubt, but if you tap the upper platform you will hear the noise through the speakers, and that upper platform is still exposed to air-borne vibrations. Any reason why you don't eliminate the VPI feet and use the McMaster mounts in their place?

If you do that, then what's the point of the isolation platform? You want the bond between platform and TT. It helps mitigate vibrations due to the added mass. Below the platform is where the isolation should occur.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL
audiom3

Postby hedgehog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:38 am

AudioM3 has it right IMO. You want to isolate platform from rack/shelf and couple 'table to platform.

I use a 3" maple platform, which used to sit on 1/2" sorbothane squares, that I now have on the Mapleshade Isoblocks. I am experimenting with stock vs mini-HRX feet on my Aries Scout, and may experiment with the EdenSound Terracones as well.
hedgehog

Next

Return to Harry's Corner