Santa Baby! re. 2nd pivot Mod Tweek

Re: Santa Baby! re. 2nd pivot Mod Tweek

Postby jonathanb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:31 pm

I have never dialed in the azimuth as precisely as I did after installing the mod. Given that it also makes the arm feel much stable when being handled, I find the 2nd pivot mod well worth the expense. (And should you try it and not like it, I'll buy it from you for one of my other arm wands.)
jonathanb

Postby baddog » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:10 pm

I concur, I feel it was worth it.

If I go with a second arm for mono I am going to get one as well, recommended by HW no less...
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby izk » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:18 pm

jonathanb wrote:I've had mine for about a week now. The sonic effect of the mod is not drastic but it is worthwhile. Bass sounds a bit tighter and more precise to me. There also seems to be a tad less smearing of the soundstage. The mod allows for a more precise and consistent setting of azimuth and thus enables the cartridge to remain dialed in better than when using the stock counterweight or Counterintuitive. This is likely responsible for a portion of the more stable soundstage I'm hearing.

My initial reaction is the similar. There is better and more stable imaging and more control top-to-bottom. The improvement is not night and day, but pretty noticeable. In addition, azimuth adjustment has never been easier and finer--exact meter reading on Fozgometer on both channels and with a stable needle reading and without affecting the tracking force in under 10 minutes. And as a cherry on top, I can now repeatedly drop the needle on the empty space between tracks accurately.
Isaac Rivera
http://livingacoustics.com
izk
VPI Distributor

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am

Like Brf I am happy with the second pivot right behind the left side weight, it approximates the headshell offset angle so the arm will not rotate when riding warps. The error in mounting is very uncritical as the measurements show in my testing. Using a good test record and an oscilloscope you can see the left-right phase angles are essentially correct in an arc of almost 1/4" of mounting.

You should see a 45 degree angle in this test, it does not change when moving the second pivot so you are getting the proper results with at least a +/- 1/8" error in mounting.

Basically, it is not critical and will work perfectly just mounting it behind the left azimuth weight.

About weight on the second pivot, it should be just enough to keep it firmly in contact. The friction level is so low you almost cannot do this wrong. If the arm want to fall to the left side it is more than enough.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby schugh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:01 am

Is the plate supposed to be shiny on the top side so you can see a reflection?
That's how it's shown in a picture in this thread somewhere.
But the top of the plate that I got is not shiny. It's got some off-white plastic type of material on the top.
schugh

Postby 10ovr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:15 am

schugh wrote:Is the plate supposed to be shiny on the top side so you can see a reflection?
That's how it's shown in a picture in this thread somewhere.
But the top of the plate that I got is not shiny. It's got some off-white plastic type of material on the top.

It's Surface Protective Film ,,Peel it off ImageIMG_1287 by Tim Morgan, on Flickr
10ovr

Postby schugh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 am

OMG. My dealer was with me when we installed it and I can't believe we both missed that! :roll:
Thanks.
schugh

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner