ADS Owners Thread

Re: ADS Owners Thread

Postby MOON » Thu May 04, 2017 5:44 pm

It has been asked several times. Can someone at VPI give an approximate date when the ultimate version of the ads will be avaiable and even mention if that is still in the plans or not.
Thanks, Greg
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON

Postby WntrMute » Thu May 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Seems like a return of the SDS might be attractive for some with problems utilizing the ADS in their systems. Im sure there is a reason that VPI can't bring the SDS back but it might be nice! Right now there doesn't seem to be a solution for some with noisy ADS units.
WntrMute

Postby Ducky » Fri May 05, 2017 8:51 am

Mike-
I think you are creating a credibility gap and it is getting ever wider.

You and Harry claim that digital noise is audible and by eliminating it, produces a jaw dropping difference. I have yet to hear anyone else make the same claim. This digital noise is extremely low to begin with and easily filtered out, so I don't know how you can even detect it. Yet when customers complain about audible noise coming from the ADS, which they hear at their listening position, you tell them it is irrelevant and to get over it.

As far as accuracy, doesn't the SDS control the frequency to 2 decimal places? If you read the company's marketing materials, the SDS was the greatest thing to come along in analog playback; was all that a mistake for the last 20 years?

It also doesn't do you any good to compare the ADS accuracy to 1950's HP test equipment and then turn around and say you need an atomic clock to do better, then turn around again and say who needs that kind of accuracy anyway.

You chose to do an all analog design and you've made a good case for your decision. You tout the perceived benefits of going that route, but I'm afraid you must also live with the limitations that go with it. Please stop trying to tell us the ADS is something it isn't, were not stupid.

You would also do well to stop telling your customers that their noise problems are irrelevant.
Ducky

Postby thegage » Fri May 05, 2017 9:47 am

Ducky wrote:You would also do well to stop telling your customers that their noise problems are irrelevant.

Please show where Mike has said this.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby WntrMute » Fri May 05, 2017 9:55 am

Page 24, last line of Mike's fourth paragraph.
WntrMute

Postby Mat » Fri May 05, 2017 10:27 am

Gentleman this thread is coming dangerously close to getting shut down because it's just turned into a Witch Hunt. Bill you don't close your company when things get too tough, it's called work. You closed shop when things got tough so anything you have to say is essentially irrelevant. Not to mention you have your own engineering philosophy and approach which means you will never agree with our approach. This is not saying either philosophy is right or wrong they are both different.

VPI products whether it's a turntable ADS or magic brick will always be serviced or replaced if and when there's a problem. If anyone is having a problem with their ADS we will repair or replace it.

There was a slight noise identified thanks to you the customers, because of this we have improved. Having a dialogue between the end user and manufacturer is fantastic because that is the only way we can get better and bring you better product. Everyone's opinion and constructive criticism is valid an welcome but becomes counter productive when it turns into a, "gotcha!" situation. Again, anyone who has a problem we will fix it. Also anyone who has been having frustration we will give a full credit towards the "Super ADS" that we plan to have later this year. Thanks to all who have helped VPI become a stronger company from your feedback :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix Engineering » Fri May 05, 2017 11:11 am

Mat wrote:Bill you don't close your company when things get too tough, it's called work. You closed shop when things got tough so anything you have to say is essentially irrelevant. Not to mention you have your own engineering philosophy and approach which means you will never agree with our approach. This is not saying either philosophy is right or wrong they are both different.

As usual, you couldn't be more wrong. I didn't close the company because I couldn't handle the work load. I was working 80+ hour weeks at my last company when you were still sucking your thumb. I had to work that hard because I started the company from scratch, I didn't inherit it from dear ole dad. I retired from that company at 50 because I no longer saw the need to accumulate any more than I had already saved. I closed Phoenix because I value what time I have left on this earth after seeing too many people check out before their time, and decided I'd rather spend my time with family and on the golf course than endlessly arguing with half-wits. Just because I close down my company doesn't mean my knowledge and expertise in the field is irrelevant, what ridiculous and bigoted thing to say. If you look at my efforts in the DIY space, you will see just how wrong you are. There will soon be a low cost DIY kit available that makes what you're doing look like a crank up gramophone.

While there may be different philosophies or approaches to solving a problem, you can't just change the rules of physics and electronics to suit your marketing needs. You're not an engineer so you probably don't understand that, but trust me, it's how the world works.
Phoenix Engineering

Postby jonathanb » Fri May 05, 2017 11:13 am

Thread lock in 3… 2…
jonathanb

Postby Dorian » Fri May 05, 2017 11:24 am

Yeah time to shut this one down.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby teenage diplomat » Fri May 05, 2017 11:46 am

I've read this thread and contributed to it as well over the past few months. It has a tremendously large amount of useful information in it regarding both the hardware (ADS, SDS, PE falcon and eagle) and the design philosophies of two outstanding companies. Unfortunately, it also contains some intemperate remarks and regrettable language from both customers and representatives of both companies. I'm a customer of both VPI (for almost 15 years) and PE (only the last year). I would gladly buy more gear from either company (although PE no longer operates). When Mat says he stands by VPI's products, I know he means it because he did in my case (a dodgy first generation 12" 3D arm that took lots of backing and forthing to make work on my HRX). But I also know from personal experience and what I've read here on the VPI forum that the massive expansion VPI has undertaken since Mat took the helm has come with some QC issues. The ADS appears to have suffered some, and I'm confident that VPI will sort them out as production continues. As to the sonic benefits, I have no opinion, as I don't have an ADS. I have no idea if it solves a digital noise problem VPI believes that the SDS suffered. I do know that I used an SDS without any perceived issue for many years before switching to the Falcon and tach. Anyway, if the thread does wind up closing, I hope it will remain available to read because of the rich amount of information it contains.
teenage diplomat

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner