ADS Owners Thread

ADS Owners Thread

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:17 pm

I just pulled the trigger on an ADS....Hopefully we can start a lively discussion once owners assemble. If you already have one in your system please start the ball rolling. FWIW, I had an Eagle and Roadrunner...Worked fine but I just wanted to try the ADS and stick with VPI (I also agree with the notion that more analog is mo betta) ...Also had a Walker Motor Controller for a while but placement due to its length was a pain in the aster!...I further acknowledge that I have audiophilia neurosia (A slightly more aggressive form of nervosa) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Letsmakeadeal on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Letsmakeadeal

Re: ADS Owners Thread

Postby macster » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Good deal. I'm looking forward to this.

M~
Don't sweat the small stuff
macster

Postby Ducky » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Not an owner (yet), but I came across what could be the first review of the ADS: http://www.turntablepsu.com/vpi.html
Ducky

Postby MichaelBettinger » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:51 pm

Ducky wrote:Not an owner (yet), but I came across what could be the first review of the ADS: http://www.turntablepsu.com/vpi.html

Wow! I'm impressed at the effort that went into this review (and the speed). The schematic is quite accurate although there are changes in place for current units that have had the advantages of continuing testing and engineering. The design is basic electronics with all aspects addressing the design challenges we experienced. The real advantages of the ADS design being in the execution and the understanding of the issues presented by vinyl playback.

I would be curious to know the serial number of the ADS used in the review, as the output voltages are significantly higher than they should be and current ADS production output voltages are holding to the 92VAC quoted in the documentation. This is important as the power dissipated, and hence the internal temperatures are dictated by this. At the settings quoted in the posted review (97vac) the motor drive voltages are higher and the internal temperatures are higher. The internal temperatures quoted would account for the slight drift in speed that was observed. Also, the noted drop in supply voltages was calculated in the design, allowing for distortion during the initial startup but minimizing it at the run voltage levels, all part of a delicate balancing act of voltage current and temperature requirements.

I did not understand the quotes about holding the output at 115VAC as the higher startup voltages (125 VAC) are brief and the running output should always around the 92VAC with VPI motor loads. This level is easily adjusted by any technical competent owner and a phone call to me will provide any help that is required.

I am confident that my design goals and performance criteria have been met, but the realities and variations that can creep into early units are well known to any designer and their company. Early units can have a higher probability of varying from the design centers, but in the ADS’s case I’m confident the sonic qualities of the design will still be in place as they are not dependent on output voltage or temperature. Also note that the 20 watt rating is based on the transformer ratings, with best results being obtained with the real world load of the VPI 300/500 RPM motors (approximately 8W), including the dual motor and idler wheel drive units. These were the design's focus.

I will be anxious to hear feedback on the ADS as it performs when inserted into real systems with known performance, on familiar recordings. Comparisons with the SDS will also be of interest, as improving on its performance in ways that improve our familiar recordings was high on our list of goals.

Regards, Mike
MichaelBettinger

Question for Mike re review response

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:02 am

Thanks Mike

Are those of us who are early adopters currently buying units going to have send them back for revisions. Are those in the field for sale with VPI vendors already in need of revision or have I misinterpreted your response? I just ordered one this afternoon that is in Stock with one of your online vendors.
Thanks
Letsmakeadeal

Postby MichaelBettinger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:50 am

Thanks for your order. Let us know what you think.

All units in dealer stock are from current production.

The changes we made were to help in centering the design, so that when the ADS is built in quantity all of the units are close to the expected operating points on first turn on and minimal adjustments are required. A couple of resistor values were fine-tuned and an adjustment pot value was changed to provide a higher resolution setting. The run-in testing was extended with a final check included to verify performance and reliability. These refinements were based on the initial run of ADSs which were provided to beta testers, dealers specifically for feedback and show demo units. This is why I was curious as to the serial number of the review sample.

Used with a VPI turntable the ADS will perform as intended.

Mike
MichaelBettinger

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Just a note of caution for SDS owners who upgraded from a 11.5" to a 12" platter and who did not change out their old 11.5" motor pulley, that the new ADS does not provide the same frequency variance as the former SDS, therefore, you will need to upgrade to a new 12" platter motor pulley.

Also, rim drive users should take note of their current frequency setting of their SDS to make sure that it falls within ±3Hz of 60hz of the ADS.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MichaelBettinger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Brf wrote:Just a note of caution for SDS owners who upgraded from a 11.5" to a 12" platter and who did not change out their old 11.5" motor pulley, that the new ADS does not provide the same frequency variance as the former SDS, therefore, you will need to upgrade to a new 12" platter motor pulley.

Also, rim drive users should take note of their current frequency setting of their SDS to make sure that it falls within ±3Hz of 60hz of the ADS.

Thanks for your input, I'll look into these situations to see the easiest way to address them if they should come up.

The speed adjust range can be modified with a simple resistor value change, It would require a trip to VPI though.

The current adjustment range was chosen to provide fine pitch adjustment to compensate for speed issues with a recording as the SDS could.

Mike
MichaelBettinger

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:34 pm

MichaelBettinger wrote:
Brf wrote:Just a note of caution for SDS owners who upgraded from a 11.5" to a 12" platter and who did not change out their old 11.5" motor pulley, that the new ADS does not provide the same frequency variance as the former SDS, therefore, you will need to upgrade to a new 12" platter motor pulley.

Thanks for your input, I'll look into these situations to see the easiest way to address them if they should come up.

The speed adjust range can be modified with a simple resistor value change, It would require a trip to VPI though.

The current adjustment range was chosen to provide fine pitch adjustment to compensate for speed issues with a recording as the SDS could.

Mike

I would assume that that easiest solution for 11.5" platter spec'd pulley used with a 12' platter would be to simply change to a 12" spec'd pulley.

A resister change would be a viable solution for rim/flywheel drive users who need a more customized frequency range.

The SDS has a frequency adjustment of 0.01Hz increments, whereas the ADS has a frequency adjustment of ± 0.03Hz. With Audiophile obsessions with 5 decimal place accuracy, is the ADS' adjustment fine enough?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:34 pm

Hey all, no worries on production models... we made a prototype and tested it. Then we did a small production run of 25 and only shipped it to select people for both display and field testing. From that batch of 25 there were 10 for US field testing, 10 for 230V (Overseas) testing and 5 for some lucky VPI owners! We did receive from feedback and responded/adjusted accordingly before going pencils down and went full out production.

Side note, being an ADS owner before my dad stole mine, I personally enjoyed the easy of the knob controls for speed adjustment and the fact I could leave it on all the time. I've actually turned away from tubes and anything I have to turn off when I'm done listening to music.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner