Accelerometer Results of the Classic Turntable

Accelerometer Results of the Classic Turntable

Postby Harry » Fri May 06, 2016 3:30 pm

These views are the graph results of accelerometer testing of the Classic turntable with motor off (showing background noise) and motor on belt off showing noise spectrum with motor running. As you see we average almost 70 db down with a large percentage being 80 db down and always a minimum of at least 60 db down. My thanks to our new head of electrical engineering Mike Bettinger for these results.

Harry
Admin

Re: Accelerometer Results of the Classic Turntable

Postby Orchids1 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:39 am

Harry, Please see my question on this topic in the Support Forum. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Harry » Sat May 07, 2016 12:13 pm

The test results show the inherent low noise of the Classic system, not as low as the HR-X/Aries/Prime with the separate motor, but way below anything on a record and most phono sections.

Introducing the belt into the equation changes everything as things move (due to the belt not being 100% perfect) that disturb the accelerometer so the readings are not as clear but we will be doing that and we will be showing accelerometer tests on tonearms. I can tell you from the initial tests the 3D printed arm is significantly lower, in a measurable way, then any metal arm made.

With the introduction of chief engineer Mike Bettinger to the VPI team there will be a lot more to come. We will try to measure what we hear and see if we can find a correlation.

Best of all we will publish the incredibly low numbers of the Direct Drive and explain why it is the best table in the world.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby rif » Sat May 07, 2016 2:35 pm

Can you superimpose both graphs in different colors on the same chart to facilitate comparison?
rif

Postby Harry » Sun May 08, 2016 12:58 pm

I will have that done in the near future.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mat » Mon May 23, 2016 5:05 pm

Another week or so Mike's shop will be totally up and running with new measuring tools as well to really show what we've got! All results will be available and eventually will be included with each table (gives us some time on that :p )
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby rif » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:18 pm

rif wrote:Can you superimpose both graphs in different colors on the same chart to facilitate comparison?

Did you ever get a chance? Thanks
rif

Postby Harry » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:42 pm

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have spoken for Mike but he is setting up all the test instruments finally (he has three projects he is working on including a month on the Levinson table drive system) and last time I looked in he was measuring a .03% wow and flutter on a Classic. Yes, all the testing is coming this month.

HW
Harry
Admin

Return to Harry's Corner