VAS Nova Cart,

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:53 am

Harry wrote:The low output Nova is truly one of the best cartridges I have ever heard. Like all great things it has a character and it is a character I personally like.

I will be having Steve make me a version of the Nova that will retail for less than $1K for music lovers that do not need the last word in detail but enjoy the flow, the rhythm, and the pace of analog music and can do without the crystal clear reproduction of a hiccup!!

Some of the greatest analog performances can do with a little less detail and a lot more goosebumps.

HW


Any chance of that being a HOMC? Something in the 1.5-2.5Mv range?
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
User avatar
spinblackcircle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:09 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby BuddyO » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Happy with the Quintet Black on my Traveler, I was looking for a smoother sounding cartridge on my Rega RP6 which sits in my family room, providing a more casual background listening function. I was initially happy with the 2M Black which I ordered with the trade-in of my RP3 (thanks to Seth at SSD), but after hearing how smooth the Traveler/Quintet combo was, I started to suffer from audiophile nervosa and stopped using the table. But then, after reading about the glowing reviews (starting with Harry and Michael Fremer) of the VAS Nova, I decided to order one from Elusive Disc. After my order, I started to suffer from buyers remorse when I realized most of the reviews here were for the 0.4 mV signature version. But I felt better after it arrived and I saw a 15% discount applied to my purchase, which I was not expecting as the price on the site was listed at $1499. Well, after only 10 hours of listening, I'm happy to say that I couldn't imagine a better sound coming from my system. Even though it's not broken in yet (reported as 20 hours on the info sheet), it's got tremendous clarity, detail, smoothness, and strong, well-defined bass. At $1275, this cartridge is a tremendous value, I'm so happy I took the plunge.

I'm running it through a Jolida JD 9 II phono preamp at the recommended 1000 ohms load and at 1.65 grams of tracking force with the tail of the arm just slightly down. I didn't start at parallel, since I'm already using 4mm worth of shims and if I go any higher, the dustcover won't fit without hitting my groovetracer counterweight.

My longer range plan is to upgrade to a VPI Classic or Prime and this cartridge will be the one I use.
Anyway, I want to thank Harry and the members of this forum for recommending this cartridge!
VPI Traveler V2, Ortofon Quintet Black, Herbie's Way Excellent II Mat, Jolida JD9 II, VPI phono cable, Adcom GTP-500, Adcom 565se, Thiel CS 2.3
User avatar
BuddyO
Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby jmcox » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:49 pm

*******************
"The low output Nova is truly one of the best cartridges I have ever heard. Like all great things it has a character and it is a character I personally like."
*****************

Harry, does that comment relate to the .4mv or the .25mv version of the Nova ?
VPI Avenger/Transfiguration Proteus, VAS Nova Gold .25, VAS .30 MONO/Ring Clamp/SDS/EAR MC4 SUT/Manley Chinook SE phono/Primaluna Dialogue Premium preamp/McIntosh MC 40 mono blocks/Ampsandsound Cornscallas/Kimber Select all cables, Furman Reference 15i
User avatar
jmcox
Senior Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:21 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby pragone@cfl.rr.com » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:58 am

The Nova is a wonderful Cart. Bang for the $$ is right up there. And that should not be thought of as an insult. I have the upgraded .4mv version and it is blooming as it breaks in. Best way I can describe it. Very Smooth, extended but with great drive. One of the quietest carts I've had in my system. I can't wait for the stabilizing second point update.

I also took the case off an Ortofon Quintet Blue I have at Harrys Recommendation. Sounds really good, again more open. It sounded quicker to me and a little lighter. But it could be my eyes playing trick on me. Further listening will have to wait, its no Match for the VAS. I'm going to take it to a friends hours to try it on his Roksan.
Cheers

VPI Prime - VAS Nova - Ifi iPhono II/Lehmann Black Cube SE II - Rogue Audio Pharoah - Magnapan .7 - Rel
pragone@cfl.rr.com
Newbie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:45 am

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby drv » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:29 pm

Selling my VAS Nova, if anyone is interested. I bought it in August from the original owner with about 200 hours who bought it new in April. I probably put 60-80 hours on it and it is in excellent shape. My other cartridge just came back from Soundsmith repair, so this one should go to a good home. Would like to get $750 for it. Anyone interested?
drv
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart Gold .25mV SRA 99 degrees

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello Guys:

I am having a lot of churn on setting SRA for VAS Nova Gold .25mV. Out of the box the SRA is +99degrees. I know everyone sets by ear but I simply do not have that skill set and I always set SRA to 92 then do a little tweaking with VTA tower. I have tried shims and bringing arm all the way down and tonearm is way to low for my comfort and I only get to around 96 degrees. I did not have this issue with .4mV version. Easy to get to 92 degrees. Does anyone have .25mV version and have you dealt with this issue. The cart does sound good but it cannot be near right at 99 degrees. I have had a few exchanges with Steve and he says just level cart and go tail down a little. I have emailed Fremer to see if there is some alternative way to measure and i have also been in communication with Issac at Acoustic Living and from his experience this is way off. The spec for cantilever angle is 23 degrees abut even this comes in at 27 degrees. Am I crazy here???

Mike in Austin
Attachments
Photo on 12-16-16 at 5.30 PM.jpg
Photo on 12-16-16 at 5.30 PM.jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike
Senior Member
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart Gold .25mV SRA 99 degrees

Postby audiom3 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Lewisranchmike wrote:Hello Guys:

I am having a lot of churn on setting SRA for VAS Nova Gold .25mV. Out of the box the SRA is +99degrees. I know everyone sets by ear but I simply do not have that skill set and I always set SRA to 92 then do a little tweaking with VTA tower. I have tried shims and bringing arm all the way down and tonearm is way to low for my comfort and I only get to around 96 degrees. I did not have this issue with .4mV version. Easy to get to 92 degrees. Does anyone have .25mV version and have you dealt with this issue. The cart does sound good but it cannot be near right at 99 degrees. I have had a few exchanges with Steve and he says just level cart and go tail down a little. I have emailed Fremer to see if there is some alternative way to measure and i have also been in communication with Issac at Acoustic Living and from his experience this is way off. The spec for cantilever angle is 23 degrees abut even this comes in at 27 degrees. Am I crazy here???

Mike in Austin

I'm by no means a geometric genius and I don't even have a ruler handy. But that doesn't *look* close to 99 degrees. Looks closer to the target (92 degrees), IMHO.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
User avatar
audiom3
Senior Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart Gold .25mV SRA 99 degrees

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:00 pm

audiom3 wrote:
Lewisranchmike wrote:Hello Guys:

I am having a lot of churn on setting SRA for VAS Nova Gold .25mV. Out of the box the SRA is +99degrees. I know everyone sets by ear but I simply do not have that skill set and I always set SRA to 92 then do a little tweaking with VTA tower. I have tried shims and bringing arm all the way down and tonearm is way to low for my comfort and I only get to around 96 degrees. I did not have this issue with .4mV version. Easy to get to 92 degrees. Does anyone have .25mV version and have you dealt with this issue. The cart does sound good but it cannot be near right at 99 degrees. I have had a few exchanges with Steve and he says just level cart and go tail down a little. I have emailed Fremer to see if there is some alternative way to measure and i have also been in communication with Issac at Acoustic Living and from his experience this is way off. The spec for cantilever angle is 23 degrees abut even this comes in at 27 degrees. Am I crazy here???

Mike in Austin

I'm by no means a geometric genius and I don't even have a ruler handy. But that doesn't *look* close to 99 degrees. Looks closer to the target (92 degrees), IMHO.
audiom3 wrote:
Lewisranchmike wrote:Hello Guys:

I am having a lot of churn on setting SRA for VAS Nova Gold .25mV. Out of the box the SRA is +99degrees. I know everyone sets by ear but I simply do not have that skill set and I always set SRA to 92 then do a little tweaking with VTA tower. I have tried shims and bringing arm all the way down and tonearm is way to low for my comfort and I only get to around 96 degrees. I did not have this issue with .4mV version. Easy to get to 92 degrees. Does anyone have .25mV version and have you dealt with this issue. The cart does sound good but it cannot be near right at 99 degrees. I have had a few exchanges with Steve and he says just level cart and go tail down a little. I have emailed Fremer to see if there is some alternative way to measure and i have also been in communication with Issac at Acoustic Living and from his experience this is way off. The spec for cantilever angle is 23 degrees abut even this comes in at 27 degrees. Am I crazy here???

Mike in Austin

I'm by no means a geometric genius and I don't even have a ruler handy. But that doesn't *look* close to 99 degrees. Looks closer to the target (92 degrees), IMHO.



I use a protractor on my IPAD and it is pretty far off. I also got a second read. However maybe I am measuring wrong and I welcome all feedback:0)

Best,

Mike
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike
Senior Member
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby jonathanb » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:12 pm

I believe there's no way to resolve your issue. You need to swap Novas with me to fix this problem! :mrgreen:
User avatar
jonathanb
Senior Member
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby Lewisranchmike » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:47 pm

jonathanb wrote:I believe there's no way to resolve your issue. You need to swap Novas with me to fix this problem! :mrgreen:

Will let you have it at a good price:0)
VPI PRIME, VAS Nova Gold, TerraStone Footers, Symposium Seque Iso, Stillpoints LPI, VPI Periphery Ring, Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach, Audio Sensibility Statement, ARC Ref Phono 2SE, ARC Ref 5SE, McIntosh MC252, KimberKable 8TC, Vandersteen 3A Sig
Lewisranchmike
Senior Member
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

x