Re: VAS Nova Cart,

Postby ngc4900 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:30 pm

10ovr wrote:1K is what I'm running with ,,

Thanks, I will give that a try

Joe
ngc4900

Postby jaragaki » Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 am

Am going with slightly less that 1k, but above 660ohm (a non-documented setting on my Nova Phenomena). Compared to 1k it has just a touch more magic and detail.

Question I asked elsewhere, but I am running parallel to the record and I wonder if anyone has experimented with VTA with the VAS Nova.
jaragaki

Postby thegage » Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 am

Which Nova version are you running? I'm trying out the 0.8mV version and find that 470 fits my system best. 200 is too tamped down, and above 470 it gets a little sharp. The 0.4mV version may perform differently. I'm running it parallel and don't see any need to alter.

John K.
thegage

Postby jaragaki » Thu May 05, 2016 9:08 pm

I have the 0.8mv version. Settled in at 660ohm for now it it's really sounding good. Did you happen to notice any break-in effects? I'm about 8 hours in and loving it. I'll leave the VTA at parallel until I read otherwise.

Good/Bad news, family is out of town for the next two days. It's lonely, but I can listen to whatever I want as loud as I want.
jaragaki

Postby TomD » Fri May 06, 2016 12:30 pm

I have the .4Mv version, about 30 hours on it so far. It definitely seems to be evolving, the top end is getting more extended and detailed and it is overall becoming a bit smoother and better balanced (or maybe I am just getting used to it? Hard to know sometimes).

I am running at 1K ohms and found a slightly tail up VTA improved the overall balance. Really a nice cart. Tracks everything well with very natural vocals and no excess sibilance.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby fischerd » Fri May 13, 2016 10:34 am

I've heard great things about the Nova cart. In general, what are its sonic characteristics. Can it be viewed as bright at all? My only reference point for comparison is the Ortofon line (Quintet Black, Cadenza series, etc), so if anyone has heard them both and can speak to how they differ/similar, that'd be awesome. It seems like a great value. After my Cadenza Red, I may need to try one. I do like carts on the warm-side of neutral rather than brighter side, smooth/musical, a good soundstage where the bass and midrange blends smoothly into the midrange.
fischerd

Postby fischerd » Fri May 13, 2016 10:42 am

I am also interested in the VAS Mono cart. Is it out yet? Any idea what the price range will be? I thought I was set on the Miyajima mono, but now I may wait. Harry, what are your thought on the 2 monos?
fischerd

Postby gene9p » Mon May 23, 2016 4:33 pm

There is a Vas Nova just listed on audiocircle.com for 1,000.00.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?to ... 528894#new
CLASSIC 2 WALNUT,w CLASSIC 3 ARM, SDS
HW SPECIAL VAS NOVA .8v
MANLEY CHINOOOK
Vinnie Rossie LIO integrated
KRELL CD Player
BRYSTON BDA-1
HARBETH 7es-3
MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILITY Cables
WAYNE'S OUTER RING
gene9p

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:13 pm

I just purchased a VAS Nova 0.4 mV cartridge with boron cantilever from Steve Leung and I have to agree with the accolades bestowed upon it by Harry and others in the Forum. It replaced my Lyra Delos, which I’ve played exclusively for the past 2 years. Granted, the well-worn Delos may no longer be at its best, but the smoothness of the VAS Nova is really quite remarkable. This is particularly demonstrated on Dean Martin’s album “Dream with Dean.” This is a gutsy performance with closely miked tracks capturing a realistic raspiness to his voice that most producers would prefer to polish (obscure) with reverb. Not so here. Dino lays his voice out there with the realism ordinarily reserved for live performances, and the “in your living room” immediacy is quite captivating. The Nova is true to the performance: it articulates this raspy timbre but not in an "in your face" way. Rather, there is a degree of subtlety and refinement that is musically very satisfying.

The Analogue Production reissue of Prokofiev’s "Lt. Kijie Suite" highlights another benefit of the Nova. There are subtleties of rhythm that I just have not heard before. So the bottom line for me with this cartridge is that Mr. Leung has struck a very pleasing balance between detail and smoothness that happily enhances the enjoyment of music on my LPs. Finally, the Nova is available at a great price – significantly less than what a new Delos sells for nowadays.
Jim
Classic 3 with 3D tonearm, Peripheral Ring Clamp, XLR Output & VAS Nova 0.4mV cartridge. LKV Veros One phono stage, ARC Ref 5 SE preamp, ARC Ref 75 SE amp, Aerial Acoustics 7T speakers.
Jim

Postby Gigabit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:25 pm

I am a lurker. I hang out in the forums and very rarely speak up, but I am compelled to contribute to the VAS Nova thread. I was very skeptical about this cartridge because it's so new that there aren't any full-fledged professional reviews of it. But I trust Harry's opinion, and I had a brand new Prime that needed a great cartridge... So, I talked with Steve Leung at some length about my system and bought the VAS Nova Signature (0.4mv) to mate with a Musical Surroundings Phonomena II+.

I am absolutely thrilled. This thing sucks music out of the grooves of a record! Talk about smooth. It has everything one wants in a cartridge -- detail, soundstaging, depth, superb highs and deep, detailed bass. Unlike some other stylus shapes (I'm talking about you, Shibata), it does not pick up a lot of surface noise.

Very highly recommended. This thing is an incredible bargain.

Gigabit

VPI Prime #811
VAS Nova Signature
PrimaLuna Prologue Premium
Audio Research D400MKII
Magneplanar 3.7s
DH Labs SilverSonic cables
Gigabit

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner