Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Re: Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 am

The JMW 10-3D and the JMW 10-3DR are identical arms with the exception of the gloss finish (more expensive to finish) and the Nordost Reference wire. Owners of the JMW 10-3D can have their arm upgraded to the Nordost Reference at the factory and it will have the same performance.

The JMW 12-3D and JMW-3DR have the same design parameters but differ in both construction and the internal wiring (Discovery vs Nordost Reference). Owners of the JMW 12-3D can upgrade the internal wiring for increased performance, but it will not be a direct equal to the 12-3DR and that is why the 12-3DR as listed as a standalone option for purchase.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Brf wrote:The JMW 10-3D and the JMW 10-3DR are identical arms with the exception of the gloss finish (more expensive to finish) and the Nordost Reference wire. Owners of the JMW 10-3D can have their arm upgraded to the Nordost Reference at the factory and it will have the same performance.

The JMW 12-3D and JMW-3DR have the same design parameters but differ in both construction and the internal wiring (Discovery vs Nordost Reference). Owners of the JMW 12-3D can upgrade the internal wiring for increased performance, but it will not be a direct equal to the 12-3DR and that is why the 12-3DR as listed as a standalone option for purchase.

I extend my apology to all or my misinterpreting the construction of the JMW 10-3DR arm in my prior post here.
Maybe, in the future, VPI will consider offering the 10 inch 3D version of the JMW arm "with" the carbon fiber wrap as an option instead of the glossy paint, which may not be as visually appealing, but offer the additional performance as described by Harry in a prior post here last year with the JMW 3D 12 R.
http://www.vpiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7226

MMMC

PS. I posted this photo of my JMW 12 3DR arm here last year with carbon fiber wrap. Not glossy but performs very well. If the carbon fiber wrap is cheaper than the glossy paint finish, it could be a no brainer.
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Brf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:29 pm

MMMC wrote:
PS. I posted this photo of my JMW 12 3DR arm here last year with carbon fiber wrap. Not glossy but performs very well. If the carbon fiber wrap is cheaper than the glossy paint finish, it could be a no brainer.
[img]http://www.vpiforum.com/download/file.php?id=1361

The glossy finish is more expensive that the standard matte finish because it more labor intensive to finish after the 3D printing is completed. The carbon wrapped 12-3DR arms are more complex and expensive to manufacture than both the matte and glossy arms.

My guess as to why VPI does not manufacture a carbon wrapped JMW 10-3DR arm is that the extra stiffness and damping offered by the carbon wrap is not required on a 10 inch arm.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MMMC » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Brf wrote:
MMMC wrote:
[img]http://www.vpiforum.com/download/file.php?id=1361

The glossy finish is more expensive that the standard matte finish because it more labor intensive to finish after the 3D printing is completed. The carbon wrapped 12-3DR arms are more complex and expensive to manufacture than both the matte and glossy arms.

My guess as to why VPI does not manufacture a carbon wrapped JMW 10-3DR arm is that the extra stiffness and damping offered by the carbon wrap is not required on a 10 inch arm.

Brf,

Thank you for lifting the fog, as always.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Harry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:03 am

As always Brf is spot in with his analysis. The 12" arm need more stiffness added the 10" does not. We could hear no difference wrapping the 10" arm but definitely heard the difference in the 12" arm.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby 10ovr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:25 am

Harry wrote:As always Brf is spot in with his analysis. The 12" arm need more stiffness added the 10" does not. We could hear no difference wrapping the 10" arm but definitely heard the difference in the 12" arm.

HW

So Mat just said this,,Is there wrap or not ???((((( Hey all, I'm still in Thailand so this will be a quick one. The Carbon fiber finish is only an aesthetic visual finish. It doesn't being any sonic improvement (at least none we have found). The reason we used it was to distinguish between a standard and reference tonearm (the wire, Nordost wire). When we first started working with Nordost on this our 3D finishing was limited. The wrap/carbon look was one if the visual options and we rolled with it. There is no real carbon fiber on it. That's because we have found that carbon fiber doesn't sound very good. Ill post more when I'm home on a computer ☺))))
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.

Mat
Site Admin

10ovr

Postby MMMC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:34 am

10ovr wrote:
Harry wrote:As always Brf is spot in with his analysis. The 12" arm need more stiffness added the 10" does not. We could hear no difference wrapping the 10" arm but definitely heard the difference in the 12" arm.

HW

So Mat just said this,,Is there wrap or not ???((((( Hey all, I'm still in Thailand so this will be a quick one. The Carbon fiber finish is only an aesthetic visual finish. It doesn't being any sonic improvement (at least none we have found). The reason we used it was to distinguish between a standard and reference tonearm (the wire, Nordost wire). When we first started working with Nordost on this our 3D finishing was limited. The wrap/carbon look was one if the visual options and we rolled with it. There is no real carbon fiber on it. That's because we have found that carbon fiber doesn't sound very good. Ill post more when I'm home on a computer ☺))))
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.

Mat
Site Admin

Mat and Harry,

Hmmmmm!
Now, .......
This is all as clear as MUD !!
Please once and for all,
What is, or which is, the true story?
The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...........Please

MMMC
MMMC

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner