Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Re: Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Tim(10ovr)

I'm not Harry nor gene9P, but something you may want to consider.
I do not know the cost of the VPI rewire, but the complete 3DR arm also has the carbon fiber wrap. I have the 3DR arm which includes the carbon fiber wrap, and would suggest replacing with a complete 3DR arm and box for that extra bit of performance. Your system now demands little compromise. Others may disagree, but the devil is always in the small details.

MMMC
MMMC,,,I have 3-10.5 3D arms that I like to change around,,If VPI made a 10.5 3DR I would buy one ,but I don't know if they make one ,,,Harry ?????
10ovr

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:52 pm

VPI makes a 3DR arm wand for the Prime Signature.
jonathanb

Postby MMMC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 pm

jonathanb wrote:VPI makes a 3DR arm wand for the Prime Signature.

jonathanb and 10ovr,

Thank you jonathanb. That was part of the basis for my post.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm

I have yet to find one ,,A 10.5" ,,,,You sure ???
10ovr

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:06 pm

What is the pivot to spindle distance of the 10.5 arm? If 259mm, then they are the same length.
jonathanb

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

jonathanb wrote:What is the pivot to spindle distance of the 10.5 arm? If 259mm, then they are the same length.

I have looked at every dealers web sites and have yet to find one, and it's not an option for the Sig on there web sites ,,and yes it's 259mm :? Show Me :)
10ovr

Postby MMMC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:20 pm

10ovr wrote:

10ovr,

This is from a recent review of the Prime Signature, with this link posted here to a hifiplus mag review;
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/vpi-in%20...%20turntable/
"Perhaps slightly less immediately obvious are the changes to the tonearm between the Prime and Prime Signature. This new model uses the 3DR version, in place of the 3D model on the Prime."

I can not imagine VPI would produce this arm without cross compatibility, but I could be wrong in that assumption.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:41 pm

MMMC wrote:
10ovr wrote:

10ovr,

This is from a recent review of the Prime Signature, with this link posted here to a hifiplus mag review;
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/vpi-in%20...%20turntable/
"Perhaps slightly less immediately obvious are the changes to the tonearm between the Prime and Prime Signature. This new model uses the 3DR version, in place of the 3D model on the Prime."

I can not imagine VPI would produce this arm without cross compatibility, but I could be wrong in that assumption.

MMMC

Well it's not carbon wrapped nor dose it have Valhalla II wire < well have to think about this,,,,,
10ovr

Postby jonathanb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:56 pm

The carbon wrap of the 12" 3DR is purely cosmetic. The 10" 3DR arm includes Nordost Reference Wire, the same wire used in the 12" 3DR arm.
jonathanb

Postby MMMC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:21 pm

jonathanb wrote:The carbon wrap of the 12" 3DR is purely cosmetic. The 10" 3DR arm includes Nordost Reference Wire, the same wire used in the 12" 3DR arm.

The carbon wrap is more than cosmetic. It contributes to resonance damping properties of the 3DR arm. Upon re-reading the review, because they stated ".....This new model uses the 3DR version, in place of the 3D model on the Prime. Aside from the new ‘metallic black’ gloss finish (which looks great in the flesh), the 3DS is internally wired with Nordost Reference wire, through to the terminal block."
I may be incorrect, but using the 3DR arm by definition is a 3D created arm with a carbon fiber wrap, though it may be finished with a metallic black gloss finish, which to me inferred they preferred the gloss finish added "over" the original finish of the carbon fiber wrap, which I like, as an immediate identifier of the 3DR arm, but other's MMV.
Mat or Harry can clear up my confusion, and any confusion I may have caused with my assumption\interpretation of the reviewer's content.

MMMC
MMMC

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner