Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Re: Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Postby Brf » Mon May 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Brf, I'm not good at posting links. However, if you go to The Absolute Sound website, the review is included in the first article currently posted, which, as I recall, relates to cables and power equipment shown at Munich. TAS did report a noticeable improvement in the 3DR over the standard 3D using Heimdall 2 ICs in the particular qualities I noted. I don't know whether Nordost (which staged the comparison) used a Valhalla 2 junction box (but given the conclusion TAS reached in the end, I assume it did, at least in the second test, and probably in both). I also don't know what cartridge was used, but I assume it too was very good. Rich

Just a point of clarification, the demonstration utilized two identical JMW 12-3D arms with the only difference being that one arm was wired with the Nordost reference wire. The JMW 12-3DR is a slightly different arm with a carbon fibre armwand wrap and was not used in the demonstration.

The good news is that owners of the regular 12-3D arms can have their existing arms upgraded to the Nordost reference wire should they feel the need.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby curbfeeler » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:43 pm

So, to be clear, is the Nordost rewiring offered by VPI the Valhalla 2 Reference or the Odin 2 Reference?
curbfeeler

Postby Stringreen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 pm

The difference between the Discovery and Nordost is mainly in tone......Nordost is brighter, Discover is more laid back.....it all depends on your hearing ability, and the system that you play it on.
Stringreen

Postby Brf » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:13 am

Stringreen wrote:The difference between the Discovery and Nordost is mainly in tone......Nordost is brighter, Discover is more laid back.....it all depends on your hearing ability, and the system that you play it on.

The new Nordost Reference wire should not be confused with the older Nordost Valhalla wire. The two are completely different sounding and the new Nordost Reference (IMHO) is not brighter, but more detailed and relaxed.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm

The new Valhalla 2 wire in the latest arms is really quite amazing. Very open, very detailed, but with none of the former Valhalla brightness. Once broken in it sounds like a very fast version of a pure copper wire. I use it in all my arms and I always had reservations about the original.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby gene9p » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Harry wrote:The new Valhalla 2 wire in the latest arms is really quite amazing. Very open, very detailed, but with none of the former Valhalla brightness. Once broken in it sounds like a very fast version of a pure copper wire. I use it in all my arms and I always had reservations about the original.

HW

I was going to send in my tone arm with Discovery wiring to be rewired with the new Valhalla. Is it worth it to do so? Will I notice any real difference?The demo arm that I use as my backup that I purchased from you directly has the older Nordost wiring and has a very nice sound to it. I have been using it a lot lately as I was preparing to send in the other arm and waiting for when it was a good time to ship it to you.
VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:58 am

You will hear the difference immediately, it is open, clear, smooth, and has very clean bass. Highly recommended.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby gene9p » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Harry wrote:You will hear the difference immediately, it is open, clear, smooth, and has very clean bass. Highly recommended.

HW

ok..I will send you an e-mail for the info and ship it to you assuming now is a good time to do so.
VPI CLASSIC 2[WALNUT]W CLASSIC 3 ARM, VPI SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge,MANLEY CHINOOK Phono stage,MCINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp,PARASOUND A21 Amp,KRELL Showcase CD Player ,BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac,HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS,MORROW AUDIO Interconnects and Speaker Cables
gene9p

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm

gene9p wrote:
Harry wrote:You will hear the difference immediately, it is open, clear, smooth, and has very clean bass. Highly recommended.

HW

ok..I will send you an e-mail for the info and ship it to you assuming now is a good time to do so.

So are you getting this done?? Thinking of doing my tonearm and box,, Thanks Tim
10ovr

Postby MMMC » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:15 pm

10ovr wrote:
gene9p wrote:

HW

So are you getting this done?? Thinking of doing my tonearm and box,, Thanks Tim

Tim(10ovr)

I'm not Harry nor gene9P, but something you may want to consider.
I do not know the cost of the VPI rewire, but the complete 3DR arm also has the carbon fiber wrap. I have the 3DR arm which includes the carbon fiber wrap, and would suggest replacing with a complete 3DR arm and box for that extra bit of performance. Your system now demands little compromise. Others may disagree, but the devil is always in the small details.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner