Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Postby JetLee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:05 am

Hello Harry,

I originally posted this on Mat's corner on Aug. 26 but no reply, so I am asking you.

I saw on the facebook page the new Avenger with the new Reference tonearm wiring by Nordost.

Can you tell us what the Nordost wiring is ?

BTW. I am the owner of Prime #61 (my first VPI turntable) and when I first got the machine, I played it for 6 hrs. non stop. .. I just could not seem to quit.

I have two tonearm wands, one with a stereo cartridge and one with a mono cartridge. Both tonearm wands have been wired with Nordost Valhalla as well as the junction box.

If the new reference Nordost wiring is much better than the "old" Valhalla, I might have to consider a retrofit to both tonearm wands and the junction box !!!

JetLee
JetLee

Re: Nordost Reference Tonearm Wire (Repost)

Postby Mat » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Hey Jet,

Sorry about not responding, my response is actually still sitting half finished on my computer in my office at the factory!

The new reference wire was a pleasant surprise! We had moved towards Discovery wire a few years ago finding it to be a warmer sounding flavor. However, a few months ago the good folks at Nordost came over with their new Reference wire and and wired it up on our 12 inch 3D arm. We did a solid comparison between a JMW 12-3D with Discovery and a JMW 12-3D with the Nordost Wire. We were very surprised at the difference with the Nordost offering a stronger low end, missing the harshness we felt came from the Valhalla, and also cleaned up the notes a bit. Harry can get into more detail but it was a fantastic listening experience and this was all done on a VPI Avenger with KEF Blades, Mac phono, and VAS Audio Mono Blocks.

The reference wire will be standard in the new JMW 12-3D arm and eventually might be an upgrade for the 10 inch.
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby JetLee » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks Mat.

I have two 10 in. wands with Valhalla and would probably do upgrades on them together with the junction box as soon as you let us know when this is available and the pricing for each item. I am a believer in the Nordost wires as they made the biggest difference on my system when I was auditioning cables a few years ago.
JetLee

Postby MMMC » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Mat wrote:Hey Jet,

Sorry about not responding, my response is actually still sitting half finished on my computer in my office at the factory!

The new reference wire was a pleasant surprise! We had moved towards Discovery wire a few years ago finding it to be a warmer sounding flavor. However, a few months ago the good folks at Nordost came over with their new Reference wire and and wired it up on our 12 inch 3D arm. We did a solid comparison between a JMW 12-3D with Discovery and a JMW 12-3D with the Nordost Wire. We were very surprised at the difference with the Nordost offering a stronger low end, missing the harshness we felt came from the Valhalla, and also cleaned up the notes a bit. Harry can get into more detail but it was a fantastic listening experience and this was all done on a VPI Avenger with KEF Blades, Mac phono, and VAS Audio Mono Blocks.

The reference wire will be standard in the new JMW 12-3D arm and eventually might be an upgrade for the 10 inch.

Hello Mat,

I would like to piggy back on this request for the Nordost Reference tonearm wire. I have the 12.5 arm in the Extended Aries post below. Is\or will the Reference be an upgrade option available for my arm when it is in stock?

Thanks
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Harry » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Absolutely, we will make the new Nordost wire available for any tonearm you might have once we have some stock on it and catch up on the original orders.

The low end of the Blades began to sound like the low end of the JBL's when the new wire was introduced. Very eye opening!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby macebanyon » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:16 pm

Recent new owner of a Scout 1.1
Just out of curiosity, what wiring would the JMW 9 have in it?

Thanks
macebanyon

Postby Brf » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:08 pm

macebanyon wrote:Recent new owner of a Scout 1.1
Just out of curiosity, what wiring would the JMW 9 have in it?

Thanks

Discovery wire.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby billo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:14 am

Mat wrote: the Nordost offering a stronger low end, missing the harshness ... and also cleaned up the notes ...

That describes exactly my experience with the Nordost Frey 2, the effect was additive with each additional interconnect. Count me in on the tonearm rewire too!

Bill
billo

Postby Formerly YB-2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:39 pm

What wire would the JMW 9" Signature arm on my Capital Scout have?
Thanks.
Formerly YB-2

Postby Harry » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Discovery
Harry
Admin

Next

Return to Harry's Corner