Fulton records

Fulton records

Postby Khenegar1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Harry: Do u remember the Robert Fulton speakers? I used to own his model J's loved them! And did u buy any of his records by chance and if so what did u think of them? I have some and think they sound great! Most users on this forum probably do not remember him and what he did for the Audio world!
Khenegar1

Re: Fulton records

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 pm

Is this the same guy who made the Fulton "Brown" and "Gold" speaker cables?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Khenegar1 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:43 pm

Brf: yes it is, he also sold interconnects, cartridge, stereo preamp and tone arm! His fmi 80's speakers were reviewed in stereophile by J.G. holt a long time ago when there was no advertising and he could say anything he wanted about them! J. Gordon Holt really liked his Model J's but got disgusted with them because he was always making changes. He also liked his speaker cables Fulton started a revolution on speaker wire!
Khenegar1

Postby bob@lyric » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:13 pm

I remember meeting Bob Fulton at CES in Chicago in the mid eighties. I believe he was one of the first to sell audiophile cables.
His Premiere speakers and Bravura preamp were very impressive. He was also displaying a Fulton tonearm (on a KM turntable) that looked similar to the Syrinx PU-2. I bought a few records from him, excellent sound, if you like choral music....
bob@lyric
VPI Certified Dealer

Postby Harry » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:46 am

I new Bob, still have his brown cables somewhere in the basement!

Never heard or owned the records in my own system, heard them at shows but my memory of there sound is foggy. He was a very interesting guy, did some great work with Dynaco circuits.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby bdp24 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:09 am

I myself 1- Owned a pair of the original Fulton J's, purchased new from John Garland in 1974. And 2- Have many of the Fulton LP's, which Bob Fulton himself recorded. They contain live performances of local Minnesota church choirs, and sound absolutely incredible, almost like a direct-to-disk LP.
bdp24

Postby M3 lover » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:36 pm

A little more info for those curious about Fulton. We had a Fulton Musical Industries (FMI) dealer in San Diego. At that time J Gordon Holt and Stereophile recommended a number of FMI products, not just the 80 speakers. I think our dealer drove Holt crazy since he called him weekly to find out about any upgrades. :roll:

I also believe the FMI Gold was possibly the first "expensive" commercial speaker wire, the Brown was a lesser alternative. The FMI 80s were literally used (cabinet and all) as the mid-range of the modular J system. In addition to the wire and speakers Fulton built a preamp and a "footlocker" amplifier. I don't believe the latter was ever a commercial product but he used it for his demos.

Robert Fulton was an interesting guy. He was involved with musical instruments before designing/selling audio gear. A friend who plays trumpet still uses a Fulton mouthpiece. Fulton heard tones as colors, and developed a chart that described each instrument in a symphony orchestra with a unique color. So he would evaluate a performance by saying "that burgundy tone is not rich enough". Also, his preferred cartridge at the time was a Shure V-15 Type 4, but with the conical stylus option. J Gordon and my dealer liked that too. And some think HW's preference to eliminate anti-skating is controversial. :lol:

Regarding the subject records, I've heard some of them and may still have 1 or 2. They did offer very good sonics, but were all recorded with amateur, sometimes high school, groups. I think that limited their appeal.
M3 lover

Return to Harry's Corner