Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 am

Mr_Putty wrote:
Back in the 80’s I used to review some new releases. You know, the ones with the corners clipped or had a hole punched in the jacket, labeled not for resale. I recently pulled one that had very little use and cleaned it with my USM.

Actually “cut outs,” as they were called, we’re not sonically inferior as a rule. They were just over stock. They often show up in our used record stores as companies and individuals take advantage of the resurgence in the vinyl market.

They never needed more cleaning to play well in my systems than their “non cut-out” counterparts.

I don’t care if people like usms. Maybe on some nasty records, like those treated with Gruv-Glide in 1985, the usm is just the ticket to sort things out.
Peer Gynt

Postby Harry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:48 am

PG, check those thrift stores, Goodwill, and antique stores. I have filled in my collection there and replaced some old ones with old ones in better condition. I have many 1S RCA's due to filthy knees rummaging around in antique stores. Don't forget flea markets, some great stuff there too!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:51 pm

Speaking of some of my old 1980’s records, has anyone noticed some had beautiful (very small) script of a name or slogan in the inner dead wax zone? If so, did you find anything interesting? What does say, what does it mean? Was this done by hand? Some look too perfect, we’re they a sales pitch or some inside code for fun? Maybe they are for testing eyesight!
Mr_Putty

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:41 am

The marks vary. Some are stamped. Some are hand written. Some are simple codes to identify the job. Some include stereo or mono to distinguish between two otherwise the same. Some include company info.

They’re on the pressing mold.
Peer Gynt

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:15 am

Harry wrote:Tried the aquarium filter with a replacement filter used instead of the original, worked for a day or so but that was it, had to continually change the filters. Go with a cartridge filter and pump for long term cleaning without a problem.

HW

I just finished my USM water filter per Harry’s suggestions. I went with the 1/2 inch filter inlets, 1/2 inch lines and the one micron filter with the 115v pump Harry suggested. Very happy with the result. Pump is quiet with good flow. Runs cool. I first flushed the system without the filter using a bucket with tap water, then tap water and some detergent. Then I reflushed with tap water and some record cleaning fluid. Finally, cleaned my USM tank and filled with distilled water. Installed the filter. Ran the pump and all looks good to go except for a minor leak. DIY note: use only good quality stainless hose clamps. The cheap ones will break from the torque needed. Reinforced clear tubing is very stiff and a pain to work with. But, you won’t have any problems with kinking. Use five wraps of Teflon tape (not three), for plastic fittings. If the threads are not perfect you will likely have a leak.
Anyone else made thIs? Mine is built on plywood that I screwed to the end of a cabinet. Total cost was about $120.
Mr_Putty

Postby Harry » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Nice job Mr. Putty, nice job!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Great! Looking forward to your updates.
Peer Gynt

Postby Packgrog » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 am

Packgrog wrote:I'm not sure who had shared this list previously, but here's a less expensive alternative that I had saved and finally ordered today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G305PK0/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014C5D64/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D049XFQ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE5DUQ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB5W25K/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB5WYVC/

Order total with free shipping was about $60. Less powerful pump than Harry's, and not self priming, but should do the trick if you just run it for a couple of minutes.

EDIT: It is now installed and running. I had to get a larger barb for the input to the pump (the output nozzle from my tank is 1/2" instead of 3/8" like the rest of the barbs), and I didn't want to wait for the one straggler piece from Amazon, so I got a brass nozzle for the filter output. All works, the pump linked above is nearly silent, and works just fine as long as the tank fluid gets to the pump on its own. Good stuff! Will share photos later.

Here's a photo of my own setup in action. Awful photo, but you get the idea. Cheap and easy to set up and run.
Attachments
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 939 times
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Harry » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Looks great. The difference using a filter like that is quite startling.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby smashatoms » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 pm

I'm finally putting together my Amazon shopping list for a full USM setup. The array of 40KHz machines is difficult to sort through and the internal dimensions on the 10L machines are misleading. For some listings there are even two different sets of ID measurements which contradict one another. Can anyone recommend a currently available, reliable machine with confirmed dimensions? I'm looking to keep the cost of the USM below $200.

Thanks,
Smash
Prime/Audio Musikraft-Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos (PP-2A3)
Holo Audio Spring DAC L3
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1, Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
smashatoms

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner