Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby thesmurfsvillage » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:37 am

I always use Gruv-Glide as a post cleaning lubricant for my LP's, and I use the Onzow Zero Dust after the ME. But my stylus was damaged, and I believe that's why I was seeing some black residue. So I ended up sending my Universe to Soundsmith for repair. I had close to a thousand hours on it anyway, but it sucks not being able to listen to records..

Thanks to all for the advice
thesmurfsvillage

Postby Mr_Putty » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Harry,
Thanks for posting the links. I have mine on order.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby Packgrog » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm not sure who had shared this list previously, but here's a less expensive alternative that I had saved and finally ordered today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G305PK0/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014C5D64/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D049XFQ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE5DUQ/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB5W25K/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AB5WYVC/

Order total with free shipping was about $60. Less powerful pump than Harry's, and not self priming, but should do the trick if you just run it for a couple of minutes.

EDIT: It is now installed and running. I had to get a larger barb for the input to the pump (the output nozzle from my tank is 1/2" instead of 3/8" like the rest of the barbs), and I didn't want to wait for the one straggler piece from Amazon, so I got a brass nozzle for the filter output. All works, the pump linked above is nearly silent, and works just fine as long as the tank fluid gets to the pump on its own. Good stuff! Will share photos later.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:44 am

I looked at this thread this morning because I’ve been buying used records lately, and I’ve cranked up my HW16.5 and my Nitty Gritty 2.5FI II. When I sold VPI 30 years ago, I also had an HW17.

I’ve been interested in the ultrasonic cleaning machines, but somewhat alarmed at the black specs that appear in the waste water. It looks like the reason HW has noted shifts in high frequency response.

I’d rather listen to a few ticks and pops than miss the shimmer of cymbals or the suspended triangle or xylophone.

With that said, of the three RCMs I’ve owned, I think the HW16.5 is the one that most closely conforms to the notion “first, do no harm.”

The stress of the Nitty Gritty rim drive always makes me nervous. Records are not designed to be buckled and driven from the rim.

The HW16.5 forces the user to pay attention. I think that, at least for me, this leads to less likelihood of getting distracted and ruining a record.

The HW16.5 works well, and there is very little that could go wrong with it. Wear parts are available.

I think I’m going to offer the Nitty Gritty on eBay.

And I’m really not motivated to pay money to subject my records to the abrasive blasting of an ultrasonic cleaner.

The other thing that stood out was the cleaning of many records at once.

I listen one record at a time. And I keep the RCM near one of my listening rooms.

It only takes a couple of minutes to clean a record. Less than 30 seconds of actual machine time per side.

Once clean and well cared for, it may never need to be cleaned again.

I rarely listen to more than 6 records a day, and often as few as 3. It is not an onerous task to clean several, one at a time. I often listen to the same record two or three times. Last night it was Oscar Peterson and Clark Terry. I listened on three different set ups and was mesmerized the final two times through on the last system. The point being that I don’t mind 20 minutes of careful cleaning. It may be enough to set me up for a whole week.

I would be devastated by priceless records rolling out of drying racks.

As an old darkroom guy, I would want to use a dust free drying cabinet if I were going to air dry.

Otherwise you’re just inviting airborne detritus to hop back on and rebond with your vinyl, albeit to a lesser degree than before.

So .... my point is that the HW16.5 is a great machine and a great value ... it may be all you ever need. And it sounds like you’ll want either an HW16.5 or Cyclone even if you go the ultrasonic route.

Try cleaning without ultrasonic and let your ears help you determine whether or not you are willing to take the risks associated with the ultrasonic process.
Peer Gynt

Postby Harry » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:35 am

I could not agree with you more about the 16.5, I use the Cyclone version of it after USC but have been using a manual VPI cleaning machine for 40 years. The USC is for all the records I pick up at Goodwill, junk stores, dumpsters, etc. and it does a really great job but I vacuum them first, then USC, then vacuum again.

It will really turn a horrible looking record find at Goodwill into something very enjoyable, especially the old mono's where noise is less of an issue anyways. The other day I found a Duke Ellington "Jazz Party" and it looked terrible. Did vacuum-USC-vacuum and it plays quietly on my Zero mono cartridge. That is not the usual result with stereo records though, always more noise even when at acceptable levels. People really abused vinyl!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Good point. I have to admit, if the USM can resurrect something from the dumpster, it might be worthwhile.

We have a lot of used record stores. McKays and The Great Escape are two of the better ones. They only buy stuff that either looks decent, or is historically important.
Maybe I ought to be checking thrift stores too.
Peer Gynt

Postby aurelio » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Posted on the Hoffman forum. Looks like a less expensive solution to using a pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072B ... UTF8&psc=1
VPI Classic Signature
Sounsmith Zephyr Mimic
VPI ADS
Audio Research REF-150
Audio Research REF-5SE
Audio Research REF-2SE
Kharma 3.2 Speakers
Marantz SA-11S2 SACD
Yggdrasil DAC
aurelio

Postby seamonster » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:14 pm

aurelio, I don't think an aquarium pump/filter is a good idea. Filter is not fine enough, and you'd be gassing up the fluid via the cascading water.
seamonster

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Peer Gynt wrote:Good point. I have to admit, if the USM can resurrect something from the dumpster, it might be worthwhile.

We have a lot of used record stores. McKays and The Great Escape are two of the better ones. They only buy stuff that either looks decent, or is historically important.
Maybe I ought to be checking thrift stores too.

Back in the 80’s I used to review some new releases. You know, the ones with the corners clipped or had a hole punched in the jacket, labeled not for resale. I recently pulled one that had very little use and cleaned it with my USM. I was surprised to hear how good some songs sounded, and how bad some of the recording/production was on songs on the same record side. The only explanation for the variance from my original and most recent impression is the removal of new record crud by the USM. I have no doubts about the worthiness of this cleaning method. And yes, in the 80’s I cleaned with distilled water, but never got the results I wanted. Grab some old junkers and expierment. What do you have to loose?
Mr_Putty

Postby Harry » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:40 pm

Tried the aquarium filter with a replacement filter used instead of the original, worked for a day or so but that was it, had to continually change the filters. Go with a cartridge filter and pump for long term cleaning without a problem.

HW
Harry
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner