Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby Packgrog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:04 pm

If the distilled water is heading up, then it's rinsed enough. It means no other soluable material is still in the grooves.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby dmormerod » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 am

Has anyone ever considered using something like this https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK to reduce the noise for the US bath? Pro's, Con's ?
dmormerod

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:40 am

dmormerod wrote:Has anyone ever considered using something like this https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK to reduce the noise for the US bath? Pro's, Con's ?

I've used Dynamat (similar to the material in your post) to dampen other products and it works quite well. I don't see any downside in dampening a bath tank in a US cleaner.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 am

My only concern would be how it might effect heat dissipation with respect to the transducers. We've already established that they do heat up, thereby keeping the bath heated once it reaches a certain temperature (I heated my bath to 103F yesterday, shut off the heater, then checked the temp after cleaning 3 or 4 records, and it was over 110F at that point). I would recommend checking with a manufacturer to see their thoughts on if damping the outer housing could cause problems or not.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Dorian » Tue May 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Looks like there’s a new player on the ultrasonic scene. Anyone know anything about it or tried one? The price is certainly right.

https://www.soundstagedirect.com/kirmus ... ment.shtml
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby dmormerod » Tue May 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Dorian wrote:Looks like there’s a new player on the ultrasonic scene. Anyone know anything about it or tried one? The price is certainly right.

https://www.soundstagedirect.com/kirmus ... ment.shtml

Mine arrived on Friday :) Only used it briefly over the weekend. Seems to be a great unit, very quiet compared to my previous DIY attempt.
dmormerod

Postby Dorian » Tue May 01, 2018 3:17 pm

dmormerod wrote:Mine arrived on Friday :) Only used it briefly over the weekend. Seems to be a great unit, very quiet compared to my previous DIY attempt.

Great to hear! I'm thinking of running this unit in conjunction with my recently-acquired Pro-Ject VCS for drying. I'd be very keen to hear some more feedback when you get a chance to use it some more.
Last edited by Dorian on Tue May 01, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby dmormerod » Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Dorian wrote:
dmormerod wrote:Mine arrived on Friday :) Only used it briefly over the weekend. Seems to be a great unit, very quiet compared to my previous DIY attempt.

Great to hear! I'm thinking of running this unit in conjunction with my recently-acquired Pro-Ject VCS for drying. I'd very very keen to hear some more feedback when you get a chance to use it some more.

My flow is now US with this unit, SpinClean with distilled water to rinse and then Vinyl Vac to finish. I did about 6 records on Sat and so far I'm impressed with the results.
dmormerod

Postby Packgrog » Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 pm

dmormerod wrote:
Dorian wrote:

Great to hear! I'm thinking of running this unit in conjunction with my recently-acquired Pro-Ject VCS for drying. I'd very very keen to hear some more feedback when you get a chance to use it some more.

My flow is now US with this unit, SpinClean with distilled water to rinse and then Vinyl Vac to finish. I did about 6 records on Sat and so far I'm impressed with the results.

The Spin Clean is probably redundant, unless you have some kind of additive in your ultrasonic tank solution. Also, if you're using a Vinyl Vac on a VPI deck, you're probably putting a lot of strain on your belt.
Packgrog

Postby dmormerod » Tue May 01, 2018 3:29 pm

[/quote]
The Spin Clean is probably redundant, unless you have some kind of additive in your ultrasonic tank solution. Also, if you're using a Vinyl Vac on a VPI deck, you're probably putting a lot of strain on your belt.[/quote]

I only used 70% IPA in the US bath as they suggest in their user instructions. I'm using the VinylVac on a homemade lazy susan contraption :-)
dmormerod

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner