Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby Harry » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:04 pm

So, a year and a half later I am totally convinced that the only real way to get a record clean in the USC and then the RCM. I recently bought a stack of LP's at Academy Records in NYC, cleaned three at a time, vacuumed them off and no one can believe they are all over 40 years old and used.

This is a great thread and should be required reading for every record lover. Thanks so much for all your time and effort, we all learn from interaction and common experience.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Harry!

Also, I emailed Dave, the owner of TergiKleen, over the weekend about our discussion here. He told me that the directions posted here were a mistype on his part, and asked me to share the updated version of the directions (I can't upload the PDF via the forum software, though, so sorry about the jpgs). He confirmed what he'd told me back when I first tried it: 10-drops per gallon is ideal for Ultrasonic tank mixture. Further dilution as per those other directions is too little. No matter what, you still need to rinse after using Tergitol.
Attachments
MASTER INSTRUCTIONS 2018 page 2.jpg
MASTER INSTRUCTIONS 2018 page 2.jpg (387.52 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
MASTER INSTRUCTIONS 2018 page 1.jpg
MASTER INSTRUCTIONS 2018 page 1.jpg (536.01 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby leftside » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks a lot Packgrog. Much appreciated! I didn't have time this weekend to clean any records, but am hoping to find time this weekend.
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby leftside » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Sunday afternoon job. A bit of US cleaning and then a bit of rinsing on the HW-19. I'm finding that 2 drops of Tergikleen in my 6L tank is all I need. Any more and it takes quite a few rinses to get it all off on the HW-17. The cleanervinyl.com site also only recommends 2 drops per gallon:
cleanervinyl.weebly.com/support.html.

I tend to do 3-4 rinses on the HW-19. First rinse is with distilled water + a little IPA. I measure 100ml of distilled water and add about 5ml of IPA. I then use a 5ml syringe to apply this first rinse mixture on the vinyl on the HW-17. Then I do 2-3 rinses with just distilled water on the HW-17 using the standard way to apply water with the HW-17.

IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG (89.04 KiB) Viewed 1295 times

IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG (62.38 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
TT VPI Prime Signature/Benz Micro LP-S DACs Lampizator GA, Lampizator Euforia DSD Preamps Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv, Mac MC205, Glenn 300B Speakers Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S Headphones LCD-4
leftside

Postby leftside » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Wow - this is definitely the way to clean records. I have a few records that I thought were bad pressings, and I cleaned them today. With most of them, a lot of the pops and cracks have gone. Much better.

And these records were previously cleaned with a Spin Cleaner and rinsed/vacuumed with a HW-17. The US + Cleaner Vinyl + HW-17 is a much better combo. You definitely need a few rinses after the US and the HW-17 is perfect for that.

I was getting 12 records/hour cleaned.
leftside

Postby dmormerod » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:06 pm

OK, So I've read through all 53 something pages and other than my head spinning, have a couple of questions.

I'm coming from a Spin Clean, Vinyl Vac world! I've ordered a 6L US bath and the record cleaning mechanism from Haunted Mfg (https://www.facebook.com/zaphod1212/).

I have some Hepastat 256, distilled water and IPA to make up the solution following the 'Rushton' formula, but had a question, can I substitute Ilford Ifotol (or Kodak equivalent) for Triton X-100?

For the rinse step, is it worth using the Spin Clean with a distilled water + IPA mix or would that negate the work of the US?

I will still Vinyl Vac as the last step.

TIA
dmormerod

Postby Harry » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:59 pm

No idea, never used a Spin Clean, anyone else??

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:48 pm

I Have a Vinyl Styl, similar to Spin Clean? The brushes may be different, but there is the possibility of recontaminating from used brushes. I like using spray bottles filled with distilled water only after a cleaning with my VS. Any dirty water just drops into the sink. A light brushing with microfiber cloth quickly removes the water drops. Then they go into a drying rack about five minutes. I am building a US system for cleaning records. It works great for CDs as well. Only needs about 30 sec in the tank, holding and turning by hand.
Mr_Putty

Postby dmormerod » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:I Have a Vinyl Styl, similar to Spin Clean? The brushes may be different, but there is the possibility of recontaminating from used brushes. I like using spray bottles filled with distilled water only after a cleaning with my VS. Any dirty water just drops into the sink. A light brushing with microfiber cloth quickly removes the water drops. Then they go into a drying rack about five minutes. I am building a US system for cleaning records. It works great for CDs as well. Only needs about 30 sec in the tank, holding and turning by hand.

Ok thanks. I have some new brushes but I’ll just try a rinse without the SpinClean.
dmormerod

Postby MOON » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:03 am

I have one question for those that use a rcm after for a rinse or a final vacuum to remove the water. When the record comes out of the ultra sonic bath both sides are wet.

What do you do before placing the record on the rcm platter since both sides are wet? I haven't got an ultrasonic tank yet but probably will due to the results discribed on this forum.
Thanks
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner