Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby rl1856 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Followup and a question for HW:

I now use the spin clean as a pre cleaning cycle. The devise removes all loose and surface debris from an LP, leaving the US cleaner to dig into the grooves and remove embedded debris.

HW: Very early in this thread you were adamant that you heard HF degradation after a US clean. Later in the thread you reported that you changed your US cleaning process, then emphatically stated you *do not* hear any HF degradation.

Questions:

What changed ?
Were you sure of your early findings ? Are you just as sure of your current results ?
Why do you think your results may have changed ?

Thank you !
rl1856

Re: Record DEEP cleaning; when ultrasonic isn't enough

Postby Packgrog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 pm

I have a couple of truly stubborn, nasty albums that I'd like to clean up, and I'm curious to try some new things on these that would not be necessary with 99% of albums.

First off, has anyone found a way to remove mineral deposits from record grooves from when someone rinsed an album in tap water and drip-dried it, leaving visible discoloration in the grooves themselves. I've tried every solution in my arsenal on one album with this issue, even diluted distilled vinegar (though only for about 30 seconds), and as yet nothing has worked. Any other ideas?

Secondly, what about the grimiest of thrift shop/second hand finds, with hand prints on the grooves underneath the layer of thick dust. Even after a 50 minute ultrasonic cleaning session (106F, TergiKleen dilution of 10 drops per gallon distilled water), followed by multiple rinse/scrub passes on a vacuum RCM, there's still quite a bit of visible contamination. I'm all out of enzymatic solution, but I'm tempted to try either a diluted Simple Green Crystal wash on the vac RCM or the 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner in the ultrasonic trick. Any ideas of what else might help get rid of potentially 50-year-old fingerprint oils safely out of the grooves of a record?
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 pm

@packgrog
You might try CLR. When I have an LP that seems lost, there is really no risk if it is going into the junk pile anyway. I have not tried CLR personally but it is designed to clean the types of issues you have. May be a shot. Good Luck
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Johnny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm

@packgrog, try Pink Solution, It won't harm your records either
Johnny

Postby Packgrog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:56 pm

The CLR Outdoor Furniture Cleaner or CLR Mold & Mildew Stain Remover might work safely enough on the vinyl itself, though I wonder how the internals of a vacuum RCM would handle the solution. Standard CLR would *NOT* be safe for vinyl at all.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby WntrMute » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:26 pm

I think I would send those few records to the Record Genie. Let him try with the KL Audio and Audio Desk machines he uses.

http://www.recordgenie.com
WntrMute

Postby Packgrog » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:30 pm

WntrMute wrote:I think I would send those few records to the Record Genie. Let him try with the KL Audio and Audio Desk machines he uses.

I've actually talked with him (largely about tactics with DIY ultrasonic setups, since he's purchased a couple of Elmasonic tanks), and he offered to tackle at least the water-damaged one, but I'm not sure that different ultrasonic machines would actually fix what my own hasn't been able to already. I'm interested in finding out what I can try on my own. Seems like a different cleaning solution could do some good.
Packgrog

Postby jonathanb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Packgrog wrote:I have a couple of truly stubborn, nasty albums that I'd like to clean up, and I'm curious to try some new things on these that would not be necessary with 99% of albums.

First off, has anyone found a way to remove mineral deposits from record grooves from when someone rinsed an album in tap water and drip-dried it, leaving visible discoloration in the grooves themselves. I've tried every solution in my arsenal on one album with this issue, even diluted distilled vinegar (though only for about 30 seconds), and as yet nothing has worked. Any other ideas?

Secondly, what about the grimiest of thrift shop/second hand finds, with hand prints on the grooves underneath the layer of thick dust. Even after a 50 minute ultrasonic cleaning session (106F, TergiKleen dilution of 10 drops per gallon distilled water), followed by multiple rinse/scrub passes on a vacuum RCM, there's still quite a bit of visible contamination. I'm all out of enzymatic solution, but I'm tempted to try either a diluted Simple Green Crystal wash on the vac RCM or the 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner in the ultrasonic trick. Any ideas of what else might help get rid of potentially 50-year-old fingerprint oils safely out of the grooves of a record?

Try using Harry's suggestion of Formula 409 for the really nasty albums that cross your path.
jonathanb

Postby Packgrog » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:58 am

jonathanb wrote:Try using Harry's suggestion of Formula 409 for the really nasty albums that cross your path.

I had forgotten about that suggestion. Doh. Will give that a go at some point. Cheers!
Packgrog

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:14 am

I use diluted 409, diluted spray n wash, and George Merrill’s record cleaner before 15 minutes in the Audio Desk ultrasonic machine. Some records just won’t come clean no matter what you do.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner