Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby MMMC » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Harry wrote:Just remember one thing guys, my basement has two USC machines lying there dead with a total retail price of almost $10K. My Chinese USC for $179.99 has cleaned over 3000 records and is still going strong with its Spin-Klean still working perfectly and 1 micron fish filter for $100.00 performing like new.

You do what you have to do but for me separating the project into its individual pieces works reliably, safely, and apparently forever!!

And let's not forget that Cyclone that has cleaned all those records and probably 3000 more just for general cleaning after the USC as they are being used for shows and personal use.

HW

Harry, (and other contributors)

I know I am late to this now 45 page party, but one item that does not seem to be a concrete "must have" feature is the "cleaning power" if stated, for the machines offered. Some state a cleaning power in WATTS, others do not. I could not locate the Chinese machine you quoted as $175.00, but I came close with one at $170.00. Therefore I am assuming that capacity, good drainage for cleaning solution management and connecting external pumps may be more important.
My leading candidates are;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0140M8H80?psc=1 - Only 40 hz
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDIFAG2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A32FL4O5Z8G8DU 60 hz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel-9L-Liter-Industry-Heated-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Heater-Timer-Cleaner-/302076807788?hash=item46552e4a6c:g:oJ8AAOSw8gVX3THz Only 40 hz

Should I continue to search, or simply go with the lowest price unit? The 60 hz unit is only $20.00 more

Thank you, to you, and all who have contributed here. I hope to begin gathering the pieces soon, with pumps as another grey area, but the tank is step one.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Packgrog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 pm

None of your links is a 60kHz unit. Those would be more than twice the price. I got my 60kHz 6L tanks for about $500, and that was a steal (and shipped with terrible packing materials, which explained the savings). 6L is good for 2 or maybe 3 records at a time, though I fear that cleaning power is reduced with 3. Your different links just seemed to be different size tanks. I have no clue about the quality of any of these.

As far as I can tell from a practical standpoint, the biggest advantage of the 60kHz tanks over 40kHz tanks is that the are less noisy in the audible spectrum while in use. I cannot attest to whether is cleans more effectively or not.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby MMMC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:03 am

Packgrog wrote:None of your links is a 60kHz unit. Those would be more than twice the price. I got my 60kHz 6L tanks for about $500, and that was a steal (and shipped with terrible packing materials, which explained the savings). 6L is good for 2 or maybe 3 records at a time, though I fear that cleaning power is reduced with 3. Your different links just seemed to be different size tanks. I have no clue about the quality of any of these.

As far as I can tell from a practical standpoint, the biggest advantage of the 60kHz tanks over 40kHz tanks is that the are less noisy in the audible spectrum while in use. I cannot attest to whether is cleans more effectively or not.

Packgrog,
Thanks for your comments. My present plan does not intend to clean more than 3 Lp's per cleaning cycle.
If you go to the link I indicated as "60hz", in the questions answered the seller states it is 60 hz.. It's one of the nice features of Amazon's site. Prospective buyers can submit questions about the products.

-2 votes
Question:
it says 10l is ac220 and 15l and 30l are ac110 is this a typo on the 10l
Answer:
It's a misunderstanding, sir. All the 10L, 15L and 30L are for: AC110V-120V 60Hz
By Banyan Imports SELLER on November 9, 2016

It was the only 10 liter cleaner with 60Hz that I was able to find near that price, after reading the details on way too many US cleaners in that 9-10 liter size capacity, 4 transducers, weighing only 15 lbs. If when I do purchase it and the documentation does not also state 60hz, Amazon's A to Z warranty will get my money refunded as a Prime customer. Until I find a better product offering, currently it is the leading candidate. This is not a rush project, so I put one in my shopping cart, and will continue searching Amazon and eBay.
All comments are welcome. I posted this for the eyes and experience of all those who have gone before me, so I definitely want to make sure it's not a product that is too good to be true. The complete USC rig configuration will include an exterior filter recirculation system of some kind, I hope. I'm still reading and researching. I also think this is one hell of a good topic and thread, and yes, I've read all 45 pages, and sure I only have a glimmer of all I need to know.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am

Ah, there's the confusion. 60Hz is for the incoming AC power (USA power is 120V 60Hz, UK power is 220V 50Hz), *NOT* 60kHz cleaning frequency. It's still a 40kHz tank.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby MMMC » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am

Packgrog wrote:Ah, there's the confusion. 60Hz is for the incoming AC power (USA power is 120V 60Hz, UK power is 220V 50Hz), *NOT* 60kHz cleaning frequency. It's still a 40kHz tank.

Packrog,
Thank you. After reading 45 pages, definitely not paying attention to details as I should.

MMMC
MMMC

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 am

MMMC wrote:
Packgrog wrote:Ah, there's the confusion. 60Hz is for the incoming AC power (USA power is 120V 60Hz, UK power is 220V 50Hz), *NOT* 60kHz cleaning frequency. It's still a 40kHz tank.

Packrog,
Thank you. After reading 45 pages, definitely not paying attention to details as I should.

MMMC

Heheh. Wait till you dig into the diyaudio thread. ;)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue ... eaner.html
Packgrog

Postby LarryRS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 pm

New to this forum but not to VPI and certainly not to audio. Would like to comment on ultrasonic cleaning and, particularly, the methods that have been detailed here. I first came across the methods that Rushton Paul has described here in the Positive Feedback article and have since read that, the long diyAudio thread, and this entire thread. I have copied the methodologies that Rushton has described, including the equipment (TruSonic US machine, VinylStack, etc.), his solution formulas, and his protocols (especially the US followed by RCM - in my case an MW-1 Cyclone). I am very pleased to report that the methods work unbelievably well - my cleaned records sound at least as good as new and I can easily convince myself that, in many cases, they sound even better than new. So now to the real purpose of this post, and that is to thank all of the contributors, in particular Rushton and Harry (who started this thread and had already contributed so much to the field). I'm enjoying my record collection now more than ever before.

In closing, I have one quick question for those who are using US cleaning methods. Do you find it useful to ultrasonically clean new records? Thanks for any responses and, again, thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion.

LarryRS
LarryRS

Postby babybird » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:20 pm

LarryRS wrote:
In closing, I have one quick question for those who are using US cleaning methods. Do you find it useful to ultrasonically clean new records? Thanks for any responses and, again, thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion.

LarryRS

I clean all new records, and if I had a US machine would also include that regimen with new records as well. One can never have clean enough records, can't hurt.
babybird

Postby Harry » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:38 pm

I have already posted this but I feel I need to do it again. There are so many reviews and articles about very expensive cleaning machines that this needs to be read occasionally:

Just remember one thing guys, my basement has two USC machines lying there dead with a total retail price of almost $10K. My Chinese USC from Amazon for $179.99 has cleaned over 3000 records and is still going strong with its Spin-Klean still working perfectly and 1 micron fish filter for $100.00 performing like new.

You do what you have to do but for me separating the project into its individual pieces works reliably, safely, and apparently forever!!

And let's not forget that Cyclone that has cleaned all those records and probably 3000 more just for general cleaning after the USC as they are being used for shows and personal use.

Everything is great till it breaks!!!!!!!!!!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby suntea » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Anyone use ear protection when using a 16.5? I have used one for 15 years and always put my fingers over my ears when I turn it on. Any suggestions for over the ear protection? Looking for something somewhat small but want it to fit over the ears.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

PreviousNext

Return to Harry's Corner