Record cleaning

Record cleaning

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 am

I have now collected three ultrasonic cleaning machines for inspection and use, plus I enjoy cleaning records!! For the most part they do a nice job, they definitely change the sound, but at the same time really bring out some new staging and textural details. My favorite is the one made by Dave R because it lets you do multiple records, is relatively easy to use, and there is no way for it to fail. The other two are extremely complicated, take a long time for one record, and still need to be dried at the end to really clean them.

Dave gets the prize but I did have to rebuild the entire rotisserie setup for rotating the records on a consistent basis, not heavy duty enough for me and my 10K+ records. The trick is to use Dave's machine ( do some mods if you are like me with a huge collection) and then vacuum off the records on a Cyclone or 16.5. You get the best of both worlds without stacking up records to dry and then having accidents you really don't want to happen ( lost a mint Basie 88 when it rolled out of the drying rack!!!!) while they are hanging out in a vertical position. Plus it still costs much less than the foreign made units and works better. BTW, the vacuuming does not put static back in the record, that happens from living in heated spaces!!

HW
Harry
Admin

Re: Record cleaning

Postby 10ovr » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:19 am

I don't know Harry,,My Audio Desk Systeme would be hard to beat ,,Just say-n ,,
10ovr

Postby allvinyl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Harry wrote:I have now collected three ultrasonic cleaning machines for inspection and use, plus I enjoy cleaning records!! For the most part they do a nice job, they definitely change the sound, but at the same time really bring out some new staging and textural details. My favorite is the one made by Dave R because it lets you do multiple records, is relatively easy to use, and there is no way for it to fail. The other two are extremely complicated, take a long time for one record, and still need to be dried at the end to really clean them.

Dave gets the prize but I did have to rebuild the entire rotisserie setup for rotating the records on a consistent basis, not heavy duty enough for me and my 10K+ records. The trick is to use Dave's machine ( do some mods if you are like me with a huge collection) and then vacuum off the records on a Cyclone or 16.5. You get the best of both worlds without stacking up records to dry and then having accidents you really don't want to happen ( lost a mint Basie 88 when it rolled out of the drying rack!!!!) while they are hanging out in a vertical position. Plus it still costs much less than the foreign made units and works better. BTW, the vacuuming does not put static back in the record, that happens from living in heated spaces!!

HW

I agree with you about Dave's V8 Ultrasonic record cleaner. My personal regimen is reversed from yours. I use the 17F to first clean with AI enzyme and archival fluids, then off to the V8 for a distilled water bath and dish rack for drying. I ditched his rack right after I tried to carry it fully loaded only to see 8 LPs end up scratched on the floor. I still get ill thinking about the LPs that were ruined. Still love the cleaner and have never been happier with my clean, quiet, static free records.

John
John Tverdik
Operations Manager
Stillpoints
allvinyl

Postby Harry » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 pm

No argument, the Audio Desk will do it but I wont live long enough to clean my records with it!!

Dave's rotisserie unit just warped so the columns don't align anymore, and I now have to build the "U" piece out of black Delrin so it will last forever. Plus I'm going to make a new motor mounting bracket that is adjustable and make the wood pucks out of Delrin with rubber "O" rings on the edges. I love this unit and the fact that I can clean 4 at a time leaving space between the records for great cavitation. Then just throw it on the Cyclone and dry it.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby babybird » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:25 pm

Harry you mention that Daves machine changes the sound. Can you extrapolate on that briefly? I get the part there may be far fewer clicks and pops but beyond that how would it change the sound? Thanks
babybird

Postby Harry » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:33 pm

To me all three machines make high frequency transients sound less real.

Play the acoustical traffic jam on RCA called "Gaite Parrisienne" a good copy, and the triangle floats out above the orchestra in a way that the real thing does. At a concert the triangle, or the harp, or whatever, floats above the acoustic bombast that is playing and comes out to the listener in the same way the mike picks it up, it is there, you hear all three sides and it floats above the noise. The same thing with cymbals, high hats, etc., they float above the noise.

I am listening on a Classic direct with 12" 3d arm and Lyra Atlas so no problem reproducing this. After cleaning on these three machines the sound is very clean with a solid almost real feel to it but the triangle player take 10 paces back!!! Almost as if it is wiping away some of the super high frequencies cut in the vinyl. I'm not certain of this yet but my suspicion is the vinyl is very soft and the dirt being cleaned from the grooves is hard and slamming back into the ultra tiny wiggles and smoothing the sharp edges. It sounds as if you are burnishing the grooves. I still love the result but it is definitely changing the sound on the record.

I'll have more on this as I keep playing and start comparing these discs to tapes before and after.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby babybird » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Interesting conclusion or hypothesis and to a mysterious problem. Makes one wonder if ultrasonic cleaning is the way to go. Be curious to see how you progress with this.

Thanks
babybird

Postby TomD » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Thank you for sharing your insights!

I look forward to hearing more when you have time for more comparisons.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby dirmae » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I recently saw one of these in action and was wondering how the ywould compare to my HW-16.5
dirmae

Re: Record cleaning DIY

Postby Lewisranchmike » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:04 pm

I use an ultrasonics cleaner like the V8 but I use the a much better rotating solution I found on EBay. Check this link.
Check out Ultrasonic Vinyl Record Cleaning Kit - "Vinyl Stack ULTRA Sonic Spin Kit" #thevinylshack http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/161402849405? ... tkn=hkg2Ys via @eBay

I first do an ultrasonic clean with a 6l Ulrtasonic cleaner I bought and use the "Vinyl Stack Spin Kit" to do the rotation in my ultrasonic cleaner. A lot cheaper.

Mike
VPI PRIME #58
VAS Nova Gold
Symposium inserts
Symposium Seque Iso
VPI Periphery Ring
Eagle PSU, Roadrunner Tach
Audio Research Reference Phono 2 SE
Audio Research Reference 5SE
McIntosh MC252
Vandersteen 3A Signature
Lewisranchmike