Record cleaning

Re: Record cleaning

Postby LarryRS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:55 pm

suntea wrote:Anyone use ear protection when using a 16.5? I have used one for 15 years and always put my fingers over my ears when I turn it on. Any suggestions for over the ear protection? Looking for something somewhat small but want it to fit over the ears.

I have an MW-1 which I understand is quieter than the 16.5 but I do use a set of over-the-head hearing protectors if I am cleaning a bunch of records, like a batch of records that I have just ultrasonically cleaned. The ones I use are commonly available in hardware stores for use when lawnmowing, chainsawing, etc.

LarryRS
LarryRS

Postby babybird » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Absolutely I use ear protection. As a rule its a set of headphones obtained at the hardware or home center stores. Don't recall the DB attention but it makes a huge difference. Sometimes I will also use the foam ear plugs, also available at the home centers, i.e. Lowe's or equivalent. They are a bit quieter but not as comfortable. At this age I tend to be very careful with my ears. When working in my shop I always use either of the above or sometimes both in combination which really quietens things down.

Hope this helps.

PS, I've got the Cyclone no idea if its louder or as loud as the 16.5
babybird

Postby suntea » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:31 pm

My 16.5 measures over 90 DB on an iphone app. Not the best tool to use, but it is relatively loud. Looks like there are some inexpensive noise cancelling, over the ear protectors to be had.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner