Van Den Hul vs. Lyra Top Dogs

Re: Van Den Hul vs. Lyra Top Dogs

Postby Brf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:37 am

Harry wrote:As usual Myles has described the sound of those two monumental cartridges perfectly. I used a new Atlas this weekend at the VPI House show and it was slowly breaking in over the three days, by the end of the third day it was everything you expect from a cartridge of this price and reputation. This very much pleased me as the master builder of these things is getting older and I was worried that it may not have sounded as good as before. Happy to tell you there is no change in sonic quality, it is still in the top 2 or 3 cartridges made today and will probably stay there for the foreseeable future.

I am working on a new arm for the Capitol Audio Show that will be 14" long, mount as solidly as any arm made, have the best bearings money can buy, and a completely non-resonant 3D arm tube with more solid internal bracing. We will be going for one length of Nordost wire from headshell to phono input removing the RCA jacks and Lemo connectors. I have a feeling this will make the Colibri Master Signature and the Atlas reveal even more what is
in those tiny grooves.

HW

Look forward to seeing and reading more about the new tonearm. With CAF less than a month away, you must have a finished prototype ready. Any chance of seeing an advanced peak at the tonearm?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Actually Brf not done yet as we just made a few more changes with input from Gary Koh!

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Brf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 pm

Harry wrote:Actually Brf not done yet as we just made a few more changes with input from Gary Koh!

HW

Nice to get Gary's collaboration!
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Ah so this is the thread that leaked the 14"er :D

Well not to brag, but we have two of them 8-)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Brf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:14 am

Mat wrote:Ah so this is the thread that leaked the 14"er :D

Well not to brag, but we have two of them 8-)

The 14"er has been leaked for some time now......looking forward to seeing it in action.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:30 am

How about some audio files for comparison? Most files still have some usefulness on YouTube, we know they are not ideal.
Mr_Putty

Postby Harry » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:16 pm

It was at Capitol Audio and the best sound was with the straight 14" arm (no offset angler) with no anti-skate and the Lyra Atlas. The new Audio Technica sourced VPI cartridge was also excellent on the 14" with offset for 1/10 the price.

HW
Harry
Admin

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner