Some technical cartridge details

Re: Some technical cartridge details

Postby Tirebiter » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:48 pm

Harry, let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask about styli. You make a good case for variation in the mounting of tips in v-notches but what about the tips themselves? In other words, are manufacturing techniques sophisticated enough to statistically reproduce perfect styli? Are the laser drilled holes round and if so what is to keep a stylus from rotating in the hole prior to being secured and how exactly is the stylus held in place in an Al cantilever...press fit?

I get the fact that a stylus could be mounted off axis in the y-axis (vertical) but what is it about the stylus mounting process into an Al cantilever (other than the glue step) that makes it superior to v-notch in terms of rotation about the z axis? It just seems to me that there could still be unwanted rotation or??

Thanks,
Brock
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby Brf » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:12 pm

Tirebiter wrote:Harry, let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask about styli. You make a good case for variation in the mounting of tips in v-notches but what about the tips themselves? In other words, are manufacturing techniques sophisticated enough to statistically reproduce perfect styli? Are the laser drilled holes round and if so what is to keep a stylus from rotating in the hole prior to being secured and how exactly is the stylus held in place in an Al cantilever...press fit?

I get the fact that a stylus could be mounted off axis in the y-axis (vertical) but what is it about the stylus mounting process into an Al cantilever (other than the glue step) that makes it superior to v-notch in terms of rotation about the z axis? It just seems to me that there could still be unwanted rotation or??

Thanks,
Brock

The laser actually creates a square hole in which the styli is inserted while hot, Once the laser drilled hole cools, the metal contracts and creates a void free shrink fit to the styli.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Harry » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:33 am

Exactly right but when you buy cantilevers and styli separately and you examine the laser drilled hole under the microscope you will see it is really clean, and straight. Plus there are two vertical contact areas making it much easier to align properly. As far as rotation in the hole, that needs to be set by eye and the microscope when you are dealing with styli made by different manufacturers. They are very consistent in there work and the styli look really well made under magnification.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against using exotic materials it's just the way they are being used that troubles me.

I feel the center of motion and in many cases rotation should align with the generator for the least amount of error.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Tirebiter » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:50 pm

Brf wrote:
Tirebiter wrote:Harry, let me play devil's advocate for a moment and ask about styli. You make a good case for variation in the mounting of tips in v-notches but what about the tips themselves? In other words, are manufacturing techniques sophisticated enough to statistically reproduce perfect styli? Are the laser drilled holes round and if so what is to keep a stylus from rotating in the hole prior to being secured and how exactly is the stylus held in place in an Al cantilever...press fit?

Thanks,
Brock

The laser actually creates a square hole in which the styli is inserted while hot, Once the laser drilled hole cools, the metal contracts and creates a void free shrink fit to the styli.

Good to know, Thx!
TNT Jr, Graham Phantom III, ZYX Universe II LOMC, Tempo Electric Silver Phono Cable, Amazon B-lab Phonoamplifyer, Tom Evans - The Vibe, Lamm ML 2.1 Monoblocks, Avantgarde Duo Grosso....and a Thorens TD 160 Mk I in standby....
Tirebiter

Postby Golear » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:00 am

If we have the tech to image individual atoms, as well as move individual atoms to specific spots, and assemble machines at the nano scale, and replace the DNA inside a cell, it should be possible to mount a stylus at the end of a cantilever. The difference in scale is absolutely huge.

I guess we shouldn't trust companies to do the right thing. We need to measure it ourselves and keep them honest.

May be we need VPI to certify a cartridge. How about.... a certification service..... by VPI?

Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cartridge: $16,000
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cartridge, certified by VPI: $20,000

Specially selected by HW: $200,000
Golear

Postby Harry » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:01 am

Good analogy except the machines, the devices, and the work you are talking about are not assembled and glued by 80 year old artists!

Look, don't get me wrong, you buy want you want and enjoy what you want but when I buy a car and the steering wheel in not straight when I am going straight, or the moldings are aligned wrong, the car goes back and I am not pleased. When I buy a cartridge if the styli is not aligned correctly it goes back, period.

This is a really simple subject to understand, any alignment error of that stylus is the same as using a tube preamp with a bad tube, makes no difference what you spend after that, it is already screwed up.

HW
Harry
Admin

Postby Tirebiter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:20 am

Ok,forgive me but I always seem to come up with more questions and "I wonder if's"...

So the styli are diamonds with a square shank which are then inserted into a slightly smaller square hole. What is to say that the styli business end and shank are always perfectly oriented relative to each other? I know that diamonds have specific cleavage planes that are used to produce those fancy diamonds that put a sparkle in a woman's eye so maybe that helps with styli but can't help but question....

Brock
Tirebiter

Postby LarryRS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Only slightly off topic, I think. Where would one buy the VAS NOVA-MR?

Larry Stanford
LarryRS

Postby Harry » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:17 am

All orders can go through me at hw@hwsworkshop.com and then you can deal with me for warrantee and accidental damage issues and technical questions.

HW
Harry
Admin

Previous

Return to Harry's Corner