HW40 vs. Avenger

HW40 vs. Avenger

Postby fischerd » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:45 pm

Harry,

I was wondering if you could comment on the sound quality differences of the HW40 vs the Avenger (belt and rim drive). I saw you reference the differences in a recent post about the HW40 vs. Classic DD vs. Avenger, but didn't go into any detail. Being in the same price category, not sure which direction to go. I know the Avenger can accomodate a second arm for mono (not sure if I'll ever do that but would like to in the long run), and the aesthetic differences are obvious. Are they more similar than different in terms of sound? Haven't never heard a high end Direct Drive table, so not sure if it is apples to oranges comparison with the Avenger series.
fischerd

Re: HW40 vs. Avenger

Postby Harry » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:38 pm

We have a setup at the VPI house where the Avenger and DD are on the same table stand using the same cartridge, two A-95's.
They sound more similar than different but the DD has more drive and just perfect pitch stability on long classical notes. I am a direct drive devotee now but I use an Avenger in my house also because the multiple arms is a must when you are playing with multiple cartridges.

This is seriously tough but if you are okay with one arm, a dust cover, perfect speed stability, and great drive, the DD is the one. If you are going to play, the Avenger is the one.

HW
Harry
Admin

Re: HW40 vs. Avenger

Postby miner » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm

Well said Harry.
McIntosh C2300 pre; McIntosh MC452 amp; McIntosh MCD500 SACD; VPI Aries 3 with 3D arm and Ortofon Cadenza Black MC cartridge; Manley Chinook SE; PS Audio P5 regulator; VPI SDS; Pioneer RT707 R2R; Nakamichi ZX-7 cass.; Sonus faber Cremona Auditor M; REL B1
miner

Return to Harry's Corner